For anyone working full-time in a postbacc program (or opinions on such).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find this thread specifically for post-baccs, so here it is...

I'm going to start Harvard's HCP in a few weeks and I'm experiencing a dilemma:

1)I take out MORE loans (added on to my $38,000 for undergrad) and have the extra time to study my buns off for two years.

OR...

2)I work a full-time research job at a hospital, thereby simultaneously fulfilling my extracurricular/hospital needs AND pulling down a nice income, but trying to find time to study late nights and weekends.

I was hoping that there were post-baccs that have experienced both of these options and can tell me their experiences (good, bad, or otherwise). The problem is, I'm about to move out to the East Coast and am not yet sure how much my financial aid offers will be, so I'm going to have to make an imminent decision on jobs...

Thanks, sdn. You're my hero(s)

Members don't see this ad.

hi BeachBlondie,
i totally understand not wanting to take out more loans but just keep in mind that HCP is not a walk in the park. in order to get stellar grades you have to put in the time. i know lots of people that have done well with working AND attending class in the evening but i also know a lot of people that suffered because of that.

you really need sufficient time to do the practice problems and problem sets. and trust me you really don't want your grades to suffer if you are too tired to even study.

i personally chose not to work and just focus on my grades and volunteering but essentially its up to you. just know that full time work might interfere with times where you want to set up study sessions with other classmates or if there are review sessions.

trust me, i wouldn't have survived Organic Chemistry without attending the review sessions that started at 5:30pm and those that attended definitely had the upper hand than those that couldn't make it because of work.

im not telling you it can't be done but just remember why you're at HCP to begin with... to get awesome grades and to get into med school.

there may be tons of people that worked full time and got straight A's but im guessing that number isn't that high. you may want to consider part-time work or something that is flexible to allow you time off on exam weeks. just something to keep in mind.

hope that helps a bit feel free to PM if you have any other q's. good luck! :)

I am entering my second year of HCP. When I started the program last year, I had hoped to work full time as well (I even posted about it here on these forums). But it didn't happen.

The biggest issue was actually finding a job. I was interviewed for a full-time research position, but never heard back from any others. Perhaps if you have prior experience, you'll have better luck.

But it may have been just as well, since the time constraints of the classes (lectures, labs, sections, homework) would have made it very difficult to pull off. It was just two classes (Chem and Physics), but these are definitely not easy-A classes. Instead, I just volunteer at a hospital as I continue to look for part-time gigs.

I did know some people who worked full time during the first semester. But all of them either quit their jobs or dropped one of the classes (usually Physics) by the end of the semester. It's not that you can't pull it off, but it's not easy and it helps if you have a knack for the sciences.

I would suggest taking it easy at first, especially if you don't have great background in math and science. Consider a part-time or per-diem job first. See if you can handle it. If so, try full-time next semester. If not, volunteer to get the experience instead. Yes, money is an issue. But it will all be for nothing if you get a C in the class.