for boston people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dooey23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you like the weather... the city... the hmmmm girls :laugh:?

Members don't see this ad.

how do you like the weather... the city... the hmmmm girls :laugh:?

Boston is great. It's small enough to be very walkable. Boston has the feel of a "young city" because of the 12 million colleges and universities. It seems like everyone is 25. We're close to NYC and close to peace & quiet.

I love the weather--it has 4 seasons. Even though we're in the Northeast, the water keeps the winter weather under control. Worcester, just 45 minutes west usually has worse weather. The summers are hot enough for A/C.

Boston is definitely not as cosmopolitan as NYC, with not nearly the diversity, but you'll find ethnic variety and your standard urban sub-cultures.

how does one acquire the accent? does it grow on you or do you have to be a native?

Members don't see this ad :)
heheh, you start dropping "R"s spontaneously...and also adding them where they don't exist (pizzaR etc.). it's very chaHming:p

heheh, you start dropping "R"s spontaneously...and also adding them where they don't exist (pizzaR etc.). it's very chaHming:p

i love it.

so its spontaneous then? it just happens naturally after one has lived in bahstan for a while?

i guess. you know you're done when you ask for fish and they give you an electronic device (both pronounced 'TUNER') :D

PizzaR? TunaR? ... What are you talking about? I've never heard anyone in Boston talk that way. (You're dead on with ChaHming, though.) ... The Boston accent eliminates "R's." It doesn't relocate them to the ends of other words!!!

how does one acquire the accent? does it grow on you or do you have to be a native?
And don't forget to use 'wicked' as the adjective of choice for at least 90% of your nouns.
wink.gif

I've been a Mass girl since the day I was born, and there's TONS to do in Boston. So much culture, history, partying, etc. that it seems disproportionate to the size of the city. Similar to New York, most people I know from that area don't really leave it (they may hop around to the million different suburban towns, but they stay in the Boston area.) If you're in Boston and you're bored or depressed, you aren't doing it right. ;)

And you almost always have to be born there to have the full Boston accent. But you will meet Bostonians who don't do it at all....your parents make a big difference (I think more than your friends or the school you go to.)

And I use wicked in almost every sentence, and assumed I'd get teased for it in NYS but no one has ever mentioned it! :D *phew*

I'll be the token guy who hates Boston. I've been to school here (9 miles west) for 4 years and I can't stand it anymore. The winters suck and it takes a while for summer to come. The people (no offense) can be complete dinguses (Massholes). I have little interest in the city (town?) itself. There's some stuff to do, but the city and surrounding areas tend to shut down at like 9pm with the exception of a couple places. Last call is like 12:30am around here, 1am latest. Maybe there's later places in Boston itself. People also can't drive for sh-t.

Plus I'm a big Yankees fan :)

This isn't a personal attack on anyone. You asked for our opinion of a city and I'm giving you mine.

The accent is spontaneous.

Now, to counter what someone else said, if you can't stand the cold this is not the place for you. It's not as bad as places like New Hampshire or out in Western Mass, but once the cold season starts you will not want to venture outside.

I think Boston is all around wicked sweet... Maybe except for the weather though. Winters suck. Tons to do though. Really low median age. Girls are hot if you know which colleges to ignore ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Fun city.
Cute girls.
Crap weather (December - April).

Of course, I grew up on a beach and didn't own anything made of fleece or wool until I left for college, so if you're used to dark, grey winters then you'll be fine.

I think Boston is all around wicked sweet... Maybe except for the weather though. Winters suck. Tons to do though. Really low median age. Girls are hot if you know which colleges to ignore ;)

Which ones are the ones to ignore? And what is the "F**k T@*ck" i hear about?

And what is the "F**k T@*ck" i hear about?

"The truck" is the bus that shuttles girls from Wellesley into Boston. One of their stops was right in front of my house, so it was always funny to see them standing outside at 7:00 am on Sunday morning in high heels and mini skirts. I'm pretty sure they weren't on their way to church.

PizzaR? TunaR? ... What are you talking about? I've never heard anyone in Boston talk that way. (You're dead on with ChaHming, though.) ... The Boston accent eliminates "R's." It doesn't relocate them to the ends of other words!!!

have you ever been to quincy or southie? if you have, then you'd know what i'm talking about. Rs are often inserted when a word ends with a vowel (this is especially common for older bostonians).

"The truck" is the bus that shuttles girls from Wellesley into Boston. One of their stops was right in front of my house, so it was always funny to see them standing outside at 7:00 am on Sunday morning in high heels and mini skirts. I'm pretty sure they weren't on their way to church.

How much is the fare?

boston's awesome! except we think mooninites are dangerous :p

No kidding, the entire city was almost destroyed by battery powered LED's. Fortunately other cities like NY, Houston, LA, and Phili were immune to the attack.

have you ever been to quincy or southie? if you have, then you'd know what i'm talking about. Rs are often inserted when a word ends with a vowel (this is especially common for older bostonians).

Although I've been through both, I haven't had the chance to really talk w/ the local pop. I'll be in Boston this weekend, though. ... I'll have to do some investigating.

You want to ignore Harvard, BU, and MIT completely. Northeastern aren't as bad. BC is good, Tufts is good. The other schools are pretty much hit or miss.

Whats wrong w/ Harvard, BU, and MIT?

bu girls are top notch.

i would think twice before going to a harvard or mit party again :p .

Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
Class of 2011

anyone know about the Vietnamese population in Boston?

This is the funniest thread I have ever read on SDN.

I would assume that BU, MIT, and Haahvud would be to schools to stay away from because that's where the most studious girls in high school ended up going. I remember what most "straight-A" girls from my high school looked like.

Glad your streets are safe once again, Boston.

disclaimer: If you are a female and DO attend one of the aforementioned schools and are NOT unsightly, I am sorry for the offense. I am just telling my theory, that is all. I am also well aware that, like all theories, it only takes one example to disprove it.

This is the funniest thread I have ever read on SDN.

I would assume that BU, MIT, and Haahvud would be to schools to stay away from because that's where the most studious girls in high school ended up going. I remember what most "straight-A" girls from my high school looked like.

Glad your streets are safe once again, Boston.

disclaimer: If you are a female and DO attend one of the aforementioned schools and are NOT unsightly, I am sorry for the offense. I am just telling my theory, that is all. I am also well aware that, like all theories, it only takes one example to disprove it.

Straight-A girls were hot at my school ... oh wait, jk :(
looking forward to see what "the truck" looks like

Straight-A girls were hot at my school ... oh wait, jk :(
looking forward to see what "the truck" looks like

It looks like a Greyhound bus, but the inside smells like sweat, beer, and cheap perfume.