for columbia applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people,
I've been away for a while, just haven't had time to spend on SDN, but I must say, it feels damn good to be back! So I'm applying to Columbia and a few other schools this May, does anyone know if they're big on research? I have none, but do have a high GPA, lots of volunteer service, and solid LORS. I haven't taken the DAT yet but plan to in May. Are there any special things Columbia looks for, and how much does it really cost to afford an apartment in NYC? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dexadental said:
Hey people,
I've been away for a while, just haven't had time to spend on SDN, but I must say, it feels damn good to be back! So I'm applying to Columbia and a few other schools this May, does anyone know if they're big on research? I have none, but do have a high GPA, lots of volunteer service, and solid LORS. I haven't taken the DAT yet but plan to in May. Are there any special things Columbia looks for, and how much does it really cost to afford an apartment in NYC? Thanks!

They are especially useful if you want to specialize. Dorms cost around 700..thats Bard I think. If you stay in the heights you can find something for around 1000-1200..since you're all the way up on 168th st. They love high dats so dont even think about getting below a 19 or 20 in the science sections. good luck

pbure said:
They are especially useful if you want to specialize. Dorms cost around 700..thats Bard I think. If you stay in the heights you can find something for around 1000-1200..since you're all the way up on 168th st. They love high dats so dont even think about getting below a 19 or 20 in the science sections. good luck

"They are especially useful if you want to specialize".
I smell that Dr. B is coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dexandental,

While I'm sure having research experience is looked upon very favorably, don't worry if you have none (especially if all other parts of your application are great)...I've been accepted to Columbia for the upcoming year without ever having done any research at all.

Good luck with everything!
:)

thanks guys!

dexadental said:
Hey people,

Dexadental,

I will give you one piece of advice, if you are making Columbia your first choice: Crush the DAT. I'm talking 22+. AA and TS. If your GPA is solid, then a 22+ will all but secure an acceptance. You can hold me to that.

Good luck. Its not a tough test. Study like you want to get a 30 on each section, and you'll be fine.

MrBenny said:
Dexadental,

I will give you one piece of advice, if you are making Columbia your first choice: Crush the DAT. I'm talking 22+. AA and TS. If your GPA is solid, then a 22+ will all but secure an acceptance. You can hold me to that.

Good luck. Its not a tough test. Study like you want to get a 30 on each section, and you'll be fine.

I agree. As long as you do well on the DAT and you're not a freak, you have an excellent shot at getting into columbia. Also, from my interview day, it looks like you're at an advantage if you're asian. So, maybe work on becoming asian if you aren't already.

delicious said:
I agree. As long as you do well on the DAT and you're not a freak, you have an excellent shot at getting into columbia. Also, from my interview day, it looks like you're at an advantage if you're asian. So, maybe work on becoming asian if you aren't already.

HAHAHAHA!!!! man... it's funny because it's kinda true.
Even I was weirded out by that during my interview.

Okazaki said:
HAHAHAHA!!!! man... it's funny because it's kinda true.
Even I was weirded out by that during my interview.

I personally think they'd prefer to diversify a bit more..but if you get tons of asians waltzing in with great gpa's and great dat's then what else can they do but accept them? i say kudos to the asian community for being so studious. i dont know how they do it..

Yeah, I don't know what's up with columbia and asian students. Seemed to me the class was like 60% asian when I interviewed there. This was confirmed when I recently checked out the columbia student website, and skimmed through their random class photos. There was occassionally a cute white girl, but mostly asian people. Not that I don't like the asian people. It would just be nice if it was a little more diverse, and a little less asian. :p

Also, columbia's reputation for specialization isn't what it's cracked up to be. In fact, their rate of specialization isn't really that impressive compared to other schools like Nova and Temple.
-Dr. BadVibes

delicious said:
Also, columbia's reputation for specialization isn't what it's cracked up to be. In fact, their rate of specialization isn't really that impressive compared to other schools like Nova and Temple.
-Dr. BadVibes

Thank you delicious, you just saved this thread.
My life is so much better because of that :love:

Profchaos said:
Thank you delicious, you just saved this thread.
My life is so much better because of that :love:

No prob man. I mean, I'd hate to see a columbia thread actually reach a 2nd page without becoming a flame-fest about specialization records. BadVibes is on vacation somewhere right now, so i thought it would be good if I filled in for him.

Members don't see this ad :)
delicious said:
No prob man. I mean, I'd hate to see a columbia thread actually reach a 2nd page without becoming a flame-fest about specialization records. BadVibes is on vacation somewhere right now, so i thought it would be good if I filled in for him.

a columbia thread without a badvibes entry is like having sex without the bag: feels better, but just isn't right.

not that i'm really comparing sex to talking about columbia dental...

delicious said:
-Dr. BadVibes

Without being confrontational, please explain this. I've read in the past these schools have impressive spec. rates. Exactly how are they better? Just curious no ill intent implied.

paolorossifan said:
Without being confrontational, please explain this. I've read in the past these schools have impressive spec. rates. Exactly how are they better? Just curious no ill intent implied.

Well, i think that this year something like 7 students matched into ortho from Nova. 7 people also matched into ortho this year from columbia. However, only 7 people from nova applied, while something like 14 applied from columbia. I think BadVibes had made this point before with data from dental forum specialization threads.

So, if you look at info like this, columbia doesn't look so amazing. But this is just one specialty match in one year. So, you should take it for what it's worth. But still, i do agree that it's worthwhile to recognize that columbia isn't a big version of harvard. [Columbia doesn't have a full 25% of the class going into ortho, 25% strait into endo, 30% into oral surg, and 20% into others.] Because this is what I had thought when I first applied, and it isn't true.

delicious said:
Yeah, I don't know what's up with columbia and asian students. Seemed to me the class was like 60% asian when I interviewed there. This was confirmed when I recently checked out the columbia student website, and skimmed through their random class photos. There was occassionally a cute white girl, but mostly asian people. Not that I don't like the asian people. It would just be nice if it was a little more diverse, and a little less asian. :p
nothing personal, I guess we all want a diverse class. however, what is so weird with columbia has many asians? they have the grades, they should get in.
most schools have >60% white, why don't everyone say they have a tendency to accept white students.

though white is the majority in the population, in the dental/medical school appliant pool, probably there are as many asians as white

... said:
nothing personal, I guess we all want a diverse class. however, what is so weird with columbia has many asians? they have the grades, they should get in.
most schools have >60% white, why don't everyone say they have a tendency to accept white students.

though white is the majority in the population, in the dental/medical school appliant pool, probably there are as many asians as white

Which school is the hottest on SDN?
No doubt Columbia. Whenever, whereever Columbia is mentioned, clicks go up. Thanks for the attention. :thumbup:

delicious said:
However, only 7 people from nova applied, while something like 14 applied from columbia.

Some people try to make a point based on ratio comparison of accepted/applied from one school to another, but that is not a very meaningful data.

My undergrad(MIT) had 7 people applying to dental, and 6 got in (86%).

East Mass. Community College had 1 person applying to dental, and she got in (100%).

Does it mean EM Community College is a better school than MIT for students interested in dental schools? Probably not. Does it mean MIT is better? We can't say yes either from the data given. My point is, it is not meaningful to compare schools based on accepted/applied ratio alone.

If you have to make a direct comparison, compare to this:

Columbia 2003 (04 not available yet):
73 students total
3 Endodontics (4.1%)
3 Periodontics (4.1%)
3 Prosthodontics (4.1%)
4 Orthodontics (5.5%)
6 Pediatric (8.2%)
1 Ortho/Ped. Comb. Pgram (1.4%)
5 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (6.8%)
1 Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (1.4%)

36% total match

So, it's not 98% that admissions people use to sell the school by including GPR/AEGD.

However, IMO, it's still pretty impressive if more than one out of every three students got into spec.

So, if you have to compare, compare to 36% total, fair to everyone. :)

delicious said:

duh it would have a high asian count. all i have to say is that it's NYC and there's chinatown available. if i'm gonna be stuck somewhere for four years, i might as well be well fed (mmmm dumplings and noodles). you won't find me going to dental school in middle of nowhere in alabama or somewhere like that (plus i'd probably be the only minority in my class).

does this mean asian girls galore... :laugh: ...purrrrrrr

foh said:
Some people try to make a point based on ratio comparison of accepted/applied from one school to another, but that is not a very meaningful data.

My undergrad(MIT) had 7 people applying to dental, and 6 got in (86%).

East Mass. Community College had 1 person applying to dental, and she got in (100%).

Does it mean EM Community College is a better school than MIT for students interested in dental schools? Probably not. Does it mean MIT is better? We can't say yes either from the data given. My point is, it is not meaningful to compare schools based on accepted/applied ratio alone.

If you have to make a direct comparison, compare to this:

Columbia 2003 (04 not available yet):
73 students total
3 Endodontics (4.1%)
3 Periodontics (4.1%)
3 Prosthodontics (4.1%)
4 Orthodontics (5.5%)
6 Pediatric (8.2%)
1 Ortho/Ped. Comb. Pgram (1.4%)
5 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (6.8%)
1 Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (1.4%)

36% total match

So, it's not 98% that admissions people use to sell the school by including GPR/AEGD.

However, IMO, it's still pretty impressive if more than one out of every three students got into spec.

So, if you have to compare, compare to 36% total, fair to everyone. :)

Well, i think the way you hear people talk about columbia on SDN, you'd expect better match rates. The 36% vs. 98% issue is the crux of the argument made by Dr. BadVibes and others. If columbia students didn't throw that number around and use it incorrectly, there wouldn't be any problems I feel. Not that there's anything wrong with doing a GPR; it's just a lot of people look down on having to do an extra year.

In conclusion, columbia is an asian-only school, there are no hot white girls. :(

delicious said:
Well, i think the way you hear people talk about columbia on SDN, you'd expect better match rates. The 36% vs. 98% issue is the crux of the argument made by Dr. BadVibes and others. If columbia students didn't throw that number around and use it incorrectly, there wouldn't be any problems I feel. Not that there's anything wrong with doing a GPR; it's just a lot of people look down on having to do an extra year.

In conclusion, columbia is an asian-only school, there are no hot white girls. :(

There is 1 in first year now. If you go there you'll be able to pick her out in about 2 seconds..its like a rose in a field of dandelions. Don't go to Columbia for chicks..go to the california schools. Although maybe its better not having hot chicks in your class...less distractions and you can't date them anyway without it inevitably blowing up in your face.

delicious said:

*AHEM*

hopefully, that won't be the case as soon as class starts this fall. :D

pbure said:
There is 1 in first year now. If you go there you'll be able to pick her out in about 2 seconds..its like a rose in a field of dandelions. Don't go to Columbia for chicks..go to the california schools. Although maybe its better not having hot chicks in your class...less distractions and you can't date them anyway without it inevitably blowing up in your face.

Love you canadians!!! Asian people = field of dandelions. :D

You suggest it might be better not having hot chicks in your class. I personally disagree. I think it's good because it gives you something to look forward to when going to a boring dental class. Also, hot chicks generally have hot chick friends that don't go to your school. :p

As for not dating girls in your class - I fully agree. That's a big no-no, especially if you go to a small school. But you forget one thing my fiesty friendly Canadian - girls in other years!! eh?! I'm right aren't I? It's open season for dating girls above or below you a year. That's where it all happens. Well, not for me :laugh: - but it could !! Stranger things have happened.

So, I think it's generally in your best interest to go to a school that has lots of people you would be attracted to. Make no mistake, this is the single most important issue to consider when choosing dental schools. jk.

TanyaO86 said:
*AHEM*

tanya, are you a hot white girl?!

lol thats right.
and i'll guess you'll have the chance to ask my classmates to confirm this when the time comes.

TanyaO86 said:
*AHEM*

so wait.... are you implying that you're a lesbian?

(Though this isn't something you should be asking me in the first place)...No, im not a lesbian...

I think it's really unfair how all of you guys are hating on Columbia girls. I have a feeling that this year we'll have a both a very intelligent and good-looking class.

Not sure who you're referring to as the one good looking girl...cause we definitely have more than that!

SillyRabbit said:
Not sure who you're referring to as the one good looking girl...cause we definitely have more than that!

hint: shes really short

pbure said:
hint: shes really short

Ok, so with this information we've concluded that there are no hot white girls at columbia. Short girls by definition cannot be hot. This is a truth. Unless you're like a 5 foot 2 inch guy.

delicious said:
Ok, so with this information we've concluded that there are no hot white girls at columbia. Short girls by definition cannot be hot. This is a truth. Unless you're like a 5 foot 2 inch guy.

I resent that... short girls can be hot... :D :D you just havent met one yet

dentist_to_be? said:
I resent that... short girls can be hot... :D :D you just havent met one yet

You're right, short girls can be hot. I just always seem to be more attracted to taller girls. I'm 6 foot and I don't think I've ever gone out with a girl less than 3 inches shorter than me. I've actually dated a few basketball players, and I hate basketball!! :p Just sorta ended up that way. Maybe I'm a scum-bag - it's possible.

Japanese girls are extremely pretty and no other Asian variety compares. I hope we have good mix different background this fall but if the 40% Asian means 40% Japanese ladies I'm one happy camper.

Profchaos said:
It doesn't matter if there's actually hot korean chicks existing, and it's ok if the entire class is Asian. Why? The Columbia med school's got hot ones. In Columbia dent and med students share the class, so that will give you something to look for.
Proof:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=13654&highlight=columbia

Reasons why this is the lamest proof of hot white girls at columbia med ever:

1) Only one guy on that thread actually declared that there were hot girls at columbia med. Further mention of it was for humor.
2) The guy who said there were hot girls at columbia; where it normally says Registered User he wrote IEatShavedPussyCats. I question his credibility.
3) That one guy could easily be Asian, and be referring to asian girls only.

Delicious, you might as well come to Columbia for the amount of time you spend thinking, reading and writing about it.

SillyRabbit said:
Delicious, you might as well come to Columbia for the amount of time you spend thinking, reading and writing about it.

Fine then, maybe I will. :p haha

I guess one of the reasons I post a lot on columbia is because it was one of the top 3/4 schools i was considering. So, I knew a lot about it and actually did like it. The other 3 schools - well, they don't get talked about a lot on SDN. So, I have to get my posting fix by discussing columbia.

But the overwhelming reason why I like posting about columbia is because it has a lot of loyalists who are hot-heads (not in a negative sense). They're just very passionate; and it's fun arguing things with people like paolorossi, profchaos, freddyx3, and the like.

That freddy guy is a riot. I couldn't help but check out the link to his website on his signature. And saw how you can get his resume, and you can access his university transcript. But wait!! :eek: You need a special password to access that special info. :confused: It's soo weird. And it makes me laugh. Columbia University - I salute you!! :thumbup: :luck:

paolorossifan said:
Japanese girls are extremely pretty and no other Asian variety compares. I hope we have good mix different background this fall but if the 40% Asian means 40% Japanese ladies I'm one happy camper.

nihon joseito H hoshii darou?

Halitosis said:

Nihonjin nano? Nihonjin no dentaru gakusei ni attakoto ga nai.

Well, we have some Japaneses here.

I was reading the New York Times the other day and saw Japan screwing over Korea a big time with the newly-released Japanese school textbooks with distorted truth about their occupance in Korea.

We'd better watch our backs, folks. Don't know what Japan will do next. They might say Pearl Harbor attack was legit.

Sorry, didn't mean to astray from the CU-School of Asian Dentistry conversation. FYI, I didn't see any hot white chicks there either.

Pikeyman said:

I was reading the New York Times the other day and saw Japan screwing over Korea a big time with the newly-released Japanese school textbooks with distorted truth about their occupance in Korea.

We'd better watch our backs, folks. Don't know what Japan will do next. They might say Pearl Harbor attack was legit.

Sorry, didn't mean to astray from the CU-School of Asian Dentistry conversation. FYI, I didn't see any hot white chicks there either.

C'mon. You must have watched too much South Park. Don't generalize.
Japanese are our tomotachi s.
People say, history is a tool of politics, so the text book issue only reflects the government but not the people.

Pikeyman said:

Don't know about Ms. Halitosis, but I'm not Japanese.
Easy language though.

Profchaos said:
C'mon. You must have watched too much South Park. Don't generalize.
Japanese are our tomotachi s.
People say, history is a tool of politics, so the text book issue only reflects the government but not the people.

Exactly right.

I spent 3 months schooling in Japan last year. Never for a second felt an ounce of Korean/Japanese tension. Friendliest people I ever met. Even hooked up with a girl while I was there, and her parents loved me.

Okazaki said:
Exactly right.

I spent 3 months schooling in Japan last year. Never for a second felt an ounce of Korean/Japanese tension. Friendliest people I ever met. Even hooked up with a girl while I was there, and her parents loved me.

I don't agree with Pikeyman's tone one bit, but I'm pretty sure that he is talking about the 'Rape of Nanking' in 37/38 which was in China, not korea. I'm not trying to pour fuel on the fire, I'm just interested in history and read a lot about it. If you look into any country's history deep enough, you will come up with sordid and messed up unbelievable stuff. Any country. Britain, US, France, etc.

I don't want to make a link because it's super-graphic and potentially 'get me busted off SDN.' But rotten.com actually has an interesting article on the cover-up. I know, i know, i don't get all my historical info from rotten.com.
Google: "rape of nanking" rotten and it's the first hit.

delicious said:
I don't agree with Pikeyman's tone one bit, but I'm pretty sure that he is talking about the 'Rape of Nanking' in 37/38 which was in China, not korea. I'm not trying to pour fuel on the fire, I'm just interested in history and read a lot about it. If you look into any country's history deep enough, you will come up with sordid and messed up unbelievable stuff. Any country. Britain, US, France, etc.

I don't want to make a link because it's super-graphic and potentially 'get me busted off SDN.' But rotten.com actually has an interesting article on the cover-up. I know, i know, i don't get all my historical info from rotten.com.
Google: "rape of nanking" rotten and it's the first hit.

Actually, Japan did indeed occupy Korea for 50 years. During their occupancy, the govnmt. even tried to stamp-out the Korean language by forcing them to speak Japanese and imprisoned any who were caught speaking their native tongue. That article about China sounded very similar to the happenings in Korea too. The Japanese Gov. even tried to deny the fact that their ancient emperor and his wife were actually Korean. Recently the present emperor of Japan came out and openly admitted that the empress was indeed Korean, but won't admit that the Emperor was.

Ok, back to Columbia Asian chicks.....

Okazaki said:
Actually, Japan did indeed occupy Korea for 50 years. During their occupancy, the govnmt. even tried to stamp-out the Korean language by forcing them to speak Japanese and imprisoned any who were caught speaking their native tongue. That article about China sounded very similar to the happenings in Korea too. The Japanese Gov. even tried to deny the fact that their ancient emperor and his wife were actually Korean. Recently the present emperor of Japan came out and openly admitted that the empress was indeed Korean, but won't admit that the Emperor was.

Ok, back to Columbia Asian chicks.....

Why Korean, why not Japanese chicks!?
They are easy to go out with!
Could be taller! Much taller!

Okazaki said:
Exactly right.

because what is past is past, and what is present is money. all the asian countries, especially china and korea, are just booming economies right now--and their neighbor japan is a huge business partner. what is past is past, but what REALLY matters to the present is $$$ and hence most of the tension/past injustice is ignored.

but, you can't deny that if the money context is taken away, the tension IS there. there's just too long a history of bad blood for it to be all forgotten within half a century. it is getting better with each passing year and with each apology (the japanese govt finally started semi-recognizing the abuse of comfort women during WW2 in the 1990s). but there is still tension, even within the japanese vs. chinese/korean communities here in the US there are unspoken tensions.

Halitosis said:

Unfortunately, no. But I think Japan is still an excellent country/people.