For content prep, what resources are the best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1085158

All the resources out there are confusing and overwhelming. Everybody seems to be selling some product or service as it relates to MCAT prep so what do you recommend for my approach?

I am going to start studying in January and take the exam in June. I want to study for three months STRICTLY content and then either take a Kaplan or TPR course for the last two months for just test prep.

For those first three months however, what resources do you recommend that go over all the material I need to know as if I was studying for a class?

I keep hearing that the test prep programs are useful for those people who are pretty good with the content already.

Let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

I used TBR and I’d highly recommend it. If I was to do it over again though I would incorporate ANKI into my daily studies as well as UWORLD Q-bank. When you finish a subject you can do spend the next days to week going through all the questions associated with that subject to make sure you understand everything and also learn from the ones you don’t understand based on the explanations. I didn’t do any Q banks or Anki and I think it definitely hurt me.

Also, don’t do a test prep. Those courses are absurdly expensive and they move to slowly. If you have even an ounce of self motivation to sit down and go through the review books you can do fine. Not to mention you can go 2-3x faster.

I used TBR and I’d highly recommend it. If I was to do it over again though I would incorporate ANKI into my daily studies as well as UWORLD Q-bank. When you finish a subject you can do spend the next days to week going through all the questions associated with that subject to make sure you understand everything and also learn from the ones you don’t understand based on the explanations. I didn’t do any Q banks or Anki and I think it definitely hurt me.

Also, don’t do a test prep. Those courses are absurdly expensive and they move to slowly. If you have even an ounce of self motivation to sit down and go through the review books you can do fine. Not to mention you can go 2-3x faster.
What about TBR did you like specifically? Is TBR content that much better than Kaplan or TPR?

What about TBR did you like specifically? Is TBR content that much better than Kaplan or TPR?
For reference I didn’t use Kaplan, I tried both TPR and TBR. It’s been a while since I opened either of the books but from what I can remember the information was just organized better. And if I remember correctly I think Princeton went too deep, to the point where it wasn’t helpful.

you can’t go wrong with any resource you decide to use. I think the most valuable resource though would be UWORLD Q bank. It will allow you to cover all the important topics in a particular subject to see how prepared you are. The explanations will be your best friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
For reference I didn’t use Kaplan, I tried both TPR and TBR. It’s been a while since I opened either of the books but from what I can remember the information was just organized better. And if I remember correctly I think Princeton went too deep, to the point where it wasn’t helpful.

you can’t go wrong with any resource you decide to use. I think the most valuable resource though would be UWORLD Q bank. It will allow you to cover all the important topics in a particular subject to see how prepared you are. The explanations will be your best friend.
I was looking at eventually working on the UWORLD Q bank after I do the content review. I think their product looks good. Before I start with Q banks, do you know of any other company that sells a subscription to just content review videos? With TPR and Kaplan, I have to buy the whole course to get the videos. Khan Academy videos just don't work for me. I fall asleep watching them.

I was looking at eventually working on the UWORLD Q bank after I do the content review. I think their product looks good. Before I start with Q banks, do you know of any other company that sells a subscription to just content review videos? With TPR and Kaplan, I have to buy the whole course to get the videos. Khan Academy videos just don't work for me. I fall asleep watching them.

to be honest I don’t know. I didn’t use any videos I just went through the books. I had some friends who bought the prep course and didn’t find it was very helpful. I think it all comes back to self motivation and just grinding. But at the same time I do understand that everyone has different learning styles so if that’s how you prefer to learn then don’t let anyone else convince you otherwise.

to be honest I don’t know. I didn’t use any videos I just went through the books. I had some friends who bought the prep course and didn’t find it was very helpful. I think it all comes back to self motivation and just grinding. But at the same time I do understand that everyone has different learning styles so if that’s how you prefer to learn then don’t let anyone else convince you otherwise.
Honestly, you make a good point. All the information is in the books no matter which company you buy but some people need a kick in the rear to actually work through all that material. There are no short cuts to becoming a doctor.

I'm leaning more towards steering away from a course and just working on the material at my own, accelerated pace. Who knows, maybe once I start I won't feel like I need the videos. I hope that's the case.

Reactions: 1 user
I was always a fan of The Princeton Review for stuff which I need a thorough full review on, and then Examkrackers for standard review, test taking skills, etc. That's the content resources I used.

I also took the Examkrackers course back in the day and found it helpful.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I was always a fan of The Princeton Review for stuff which I need a thorough full review on, and then Examkrackers for standard review, test taking skills, etc. That's the content resources I used.

I also took the Examkrackers course back in the day and found it helpful.

Med School Tutors
Any thoughts on Kaplan? Some people say TPR and some say Kaplan so it's confusing to decide. What I like about the Kaplan is the visuals. I suppose they can keep the reader interested for longer periods of study time.

Any thoughts on Kaplan? Some people say TPR and some say Kaplan so it's confusing to decide. What I like about the Kaplan is the visuals. I suppose they can keep the reader interested for longer periods of study time.
I've always thought their content materials were fine. Better than their questions, in my opinion. If you're a visual learner and you find retention and comprehension with Kaplan, go for it!

Med School Tutors

Imho you won’t benefit from a prep course. Five months leaves ample time to study independently and do very well.
I agree if you have taken undergrad courses with regards to the content of the MCAT you should be fine for the actual MCAT if you just do a content review yourself. Prep courses are a bit pricey imho.

Kaplan quicksheets are an excellent free resource (or $5 on ebay, I like having a physical booklet)

It condenses most of the info and formulas you need to know for the MCAT in 20 high yield pages, in pretty colors and pictures. It's missing some high yield P/S information (Halo effect and Just world hypothesis are some examples), but knowing it front to back cold, will be beneficial.

There is no "better" since they are coming from the exact same source. I used the 7 book set, and it was great. I never even saw the other one before you linked it Apparently, it's a condensed version at a lower price. Depends on what you are looking for.

I'd rather have more content, but others might want to have something that has been summarized for them so they can move through it more quickly. There is no one answer here. Totally depends on how comfortable you are before you start and how much detail you feel you need. Good luck!!

Examkrackers + lots of problems (AAMC practice questions + UWorld) + a self-made Anki deck for weaknesses

Reactions: 1 user