For current BU students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamison321

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding housing for BU. I noticed that there is a shuttle that runs from the main undergraduate BU campus to the medical center. So I was wondering if it is possible if you live close to the BU main campus to just take this shuttle every day to BU dental school or are there some hassles that come with it? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Jamison321 said:
I have a question regarding housing for BU. I noticed that there is a shuttle that runs from the main undergraduate BU campus to the medical center. So I was wondering if it is possible if you live close to the BU main campus to just take this shuttle every day to BU dental school or are there some hassles that come with it? Thank you very much.

This is of interest to me too.

i used this a lot when i was there for my interviews/apartment hunting...i found it useful at the time since i was staying close to the main campus.
they have quite a few stops that you can get picked up at, so pick a place close to one of them
the most obvious downside is you'd have to go according to its schedule (which can be found on the website) and it doesn't run very late, if you plan to stay at the medical campus late at night
check the website for all the details (i think it might be www.bu.edu/bus or something)

Jamison321 said:

Members don't see this ad :)
canuck_chick said:
i used this a lot when i was there for my interviews/apartment hunting...i found it useful at the time since i was staying close to the main campus.

Did you end up finding a place to stay? What area?

And that website is www.bu.edu/thebus ;) Good website, thanks. :thumbup:

I'm planning on doing the same thing...finding a place within walking distance to one of the shuttle stops. I don't exactly remember what the area looks like along the route....but I guess I'll check it out when I go later this month to find a place.

Yep Reza, looks like I'm coming! :D

Can't wait to meet you guys!

TOdentist said:
I'm planning on doing the same thing...finding a place within walking distance to one of the shuttle stops. I don't exactly remember what the area looks like along the route....but I guess I'll check it out when I go later this month to find a place.

Yep Reza, looks like I'm coming! :D

Can't wait to meet you guys!

Sorry to hear your other option didnt work out, but dont worry, we're still planning on having some fun. Welcome aboard. :D

hey guys
Well i was wondering for those of you arriving on July 5th in the morning, what are u guys gonna take to get from the airport to the dormitory? [anything other than a taxi?] is there a shuttle for this particular purpose? sorry if this sounds like an inane question to ask.
also about the subway passes... did ppl purchase this? i was gonna wait until the fall semester begins to purchase this... since i think my 1st month will be about finding housing and getting oriented wit the place.
ooo and how many are planning to stay in the dorms during Excel?
for those already knee deep in housing searches, anyone already know what apt bldgs they are impressed by?

thanks. tata. see u all soon
vix

Hey guys

I'll be attending that excel program in July also, where are all of u guys living at? Also have you guys heard anything from the FA office in terms of loans or an orientation packet? See ya guys soon!

Later

Hey Victoria,

I don't think there is a shuttle that runs from the airport to the dorms, I think a taxi is all there is unless you know somebody in boston that can pick you up or something. And as for the subway passes I haven't purchased mine yet, I think I will wait til I get there.

Can we move in before July 5th? It only seems reasonable that they allow us to move in before we start classes. Therefore, Im planning on arriving on the 1st or 2nd and getting settled in before classes begin. Im staying at the dorms during EXCEL and hopefully I can find a decent place to live during that month. Otherwise, I will grab some cardboard boxes and build myself a nice little place. If I take that route, you guys can stay in my self-made shack...I only charge 100 bucks a month, but its negotiable.

Vixenator, about the subway passes, I wouldnt worry about that yet. If you are planning on staying in the dorms, then you really wont need a pass, therefore, you can just get that at a later time when you need it.

By the way, are these dorms that they are giving us similar to college dorms? Man, the last thing I feel like doing is living like Im a freshman in college again. Tiny rooms, no kitchen, community showers, etc...

Rezdawg said:
Can we move in before July 5th? It only seems reasonable that they allow us to move in before we start classes. Therefore, Im planning on arriving on the 1st or 2nd and getting settled in before classes begin. Im staying at the dorms during EXCEL and hopefully I can find a decent place to live during that month. Otherwise, I will grab some cardboard boxes and build myself a nice little place. If I take that route, you guys can stay in my self-made shack...I only charge 100 bucks a month, but its negotiable.

Vixenator, about the subway passes, I wouldnt worry about that yet. If you are planning on staying in the dorms, then you really wont need a pass, therefore, you can just get that at a later time when you need it.

By the way, are these dorms that they are giving us similar to college dorms? Man, the last thing I feel like doing is living like Im a freshman in college again. Tiny rooms, no kitchen, community showers, etc...

HAHA... i like that, the "vixenator". Anyhoo, so far I am thinking of arriving the morning of July 5th since the classes themselves dont really start until the 6th. From what i understood from Diane, the first day/ July 5th is all about helping us getting settled in the dorms. I am gonna be a lil bold in assuming that if we were to come in a lil late in the mornin that day, it would not be detrimental at all. So if u dont wanna come in until the 5th, then it should be ok. yeah i am trying to work out something with either family or a friend to pick me up and get me to the dorm/ school. Otherwise it will be a nice expensive TAxi ride. alas.

ALSO, has anyone received any info about the EXCEL, u know the tiny details, after submitting their EXCEL apps? ALSO, has anyone gotten anything back from the school regarding the calendar, classes,etc? sorry to ask again.

okies ttyl
Vixenator

Whats up with the delay in getting us our info?

Anyone know the end date of EXCEL and the date that actual school begins?

I guess I'll have to resort to chasing down the mailman everyday until he gives me what Im looking for.

Rezdawg said:
Whats up with the delay in getting us our info?

Anyone know the end date of EXCEL and the date that actual school begins?

I guess I'll have to resort to chasing down the mailman everyday until he gives me what Im looking for.

yeah i still have not received an orientation packet or any FA info either. i am actually flying up to Boston this weekend and am going to the school on Monday to get some answers so i'll let you all know what i find out.

actual school starts on August 1. i think the first week is orientation to get settled and get set up with our laptops, instruments, and get our books etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
longhornfan21 said:
yeah i still have not received an orientation packet or any FA info either. i am actually flying up to Boston this weekend and am going to the school on Monday to get some answers so i'll let you all know what i find out.

actual school starts on August 1. i think the first week is orientation to get settled and get set up with our laptops, instruments, and get our books etc.

Has anyone received their financial aid package? I have yet to receive it and theres less than 2 months till classes start.

Anyone get their orienation stuff yet? I thought the delay for me was the Cdn border! :mad: Either way, if you'd like to get an idea of what it'll be like, type in "orientation schedule" in the search box at BUSDM site. LOL it says to make arrangements to carry equipment home on the day we get our instruments :oops: ....hmmm at least that instrument payment is going somewhere!

Anybody find place to stay yet??

TOdentist said:
Anyone get their orienation stuff yet? I thought the delay for me was the Cdn border! :mad: Either way, if you'd like to get an idea of what it'll be like, type in "orientation schedule" in the search box at BUSDM site. LOL it says to make arrangements to carry equipment home on the day we get our instruments :oops: ....hmmm at least that instrument payment is going somewhere!

Anybody find place to stay yet??

Hey ppl,
the only thing i got from BU was the immunizn stuff yesterday and some mail regarding projected tuition,etc costs. but no fin aid letter or orientation stuff. Anyone get any EXCEL orientation stuff yet? according to the director, she mailed my stuff sometime last week and i should get it sometime this week.

tata
vix

What up guys, just got back into town after 5 days and I had the EXCEL stuff in the mail...havent looked through it yet, but there is a crapload of stuff. Anyone else get the info?

For those that havent received it, check-in time for those that are using the graduate housing is at 10 am on Tuesday, July 5th. I was hoping that we could move in before that date, but apparently thats not possible. Therefore, there goes my plan of moving in around the 2nd and spending that weekend in Beantown getting settled in (and partying it up for July 4th).

Anyways, I guess I will fly up around the 4th and stay with a friend and then move in the next day. So, if anyone will be there around then, maybe we can get a crew together and go out.

Rezdawg said:
What up guys, just got back into town after 5 days and I had the EXCEL stuff in the mail...havent looked through it yet, but there is a crapload of stuff. Anyone else get the info?

For those that havent received it, check-in time for those that are using the graduate housing is at 10 am on Tuesday, July 5th. I was hoping that we could move in before that date, but apparently thats not possible. Therefore, there goes my plan of moving in around the 2nd and spending that weekend in Beantown getting settled in (and partying it up for July 4th).

Anyways, I guess I will fly up around the 4th and stay with a friend and then move in the next day. So, if anyone will be there around then, maybe we can get a crew together and go out.

yeah i too got the EXCEL stuff and some extras concerning setting up email, housing, and the academic calendar. i am still waiting for that lovely fin bill from BU that is due on July 15th... alas, i would not worry about THAT coming since every school wants their mula ;) i am having a hard time packing stuff... lots of stuff.

hey does anyone know about dental students getting good deals on ortho services? yeah i think i will need to get braces again and was wondering if anyone knew anything about that at BU as a student.

cant wait to live it up in boston :)
vix

victorria82 said:
yeah i too got the EXCEL stuff and some extras concerning setting up email, housing, and the academic calendar. i am still waiting for that lovely fin bill from BU that is due on July 15th... alas, i would not worry about THAT coming since every school wants their mula ;) i am having a hard time packing stuff... lots of stuff.

hey does anyone know about dental students getting good deals on ortho services? yeah i think i will need to get braces again and was wondering if anyone knew anything about that at BU as a student.

cant wait to live it up in boston :)
vix

check it out on student link , log into ure account then click on money matters and then account inquiry or somethign like that. they have uploaded the amout due for fall 2005.

Wow, a balance of almost 29,000 bones???? :eek:

My dad's gonna be pumped when I drop the bomb on him.

Crap, I thought they would charge us monthly or something, which would make it much easier. Damn, could have used that money on fun stuff. This blows.

Rezdawg said:
Wow, a balance of almost 29,000 bones???? :eek:

My dad's gonna be pumped when I drop the bomb on him.

Crap, I thought they would charge us monthly or something, which would make it much easier. Damn, could have used that money on fun stuff. This blows.

Hey! Well I was looking around on the website where you can check your financial info, and there was this one thing where it said you could sign up for a monthly payment plan, but you have to sign up for it my August 18th. Not sure if that applies to incoming students, but it sure would take a load off my mind! :scared:

Hi guys!

-You can't live at any B.U. undergrad or grad student facility (this applies for us, dental students, and for med students), unless you happen to get a job as an RA or something.

-The shuttle is pretty reliable and there are a few people in my class who lives near its route (it goes up on Mass Ave and turns on Commonwealth Ave to main campus)

-You will pay lots of money for rent, no matter where you stay

Peace.

I don't understand how this money is due in less than a month and we haven't received our financial aid information yet.

Hi I am wondering if any of you guys know someone in the BU program already? I am looking to get any of the old Dr. Zoller exams from somebody. He taugt gross anatomy there.

davingoldratio said:
Hi I am wondering if any of you guys know someone in the BU program already? I am looking to get any of the old Dr. Zoller exams from somebody. He taugt gross anatomy there.

Isnt he the one that left to go to UNLV or something?

Anyone received notices from the financial aid office? They had all my information since april and only now began reviewing it. I am relying on loans to pay the tuition and without financial aid office having completely review my file, i can't get the loans. They notifed me yesterday that i am missing 2 documents, only few weeks left till payment deadline. They are not organized at all there.

konovsi said:
Anyone received notices from the financial aid office? They had all my information since april and only now began reviewing it. I am relying on loans to pay the tuition and without financial aid office having completely review my file, i can't get the loans. They notifed me yesterday that i am missing 2 documents, only few weeks left till payment deadline. They are not organized at all there.
\
TELL ME ABOUT IT! I'm relying on some loans to pay the rest of my bill, but they haven't been processed yet, and it's close to impossible trying to reach them by phone. The deadline is July 15th right? I wonder what they REALLY do is someone that relies on loans hasn't paid up by then. I imagine it won't be pretty.

All you Excel kids, what day are you arriving in Boston?

what model of laptop will coming students be using?

Rezdawg said:
All you Excel kids, what day are you arriving in Boston?

I will be in Boston on the Monday the 4th sometime in the afternoon. I talked to Dianne and she said it's ok to move in early. Let me know if you have any plans... :thumbup:

jinniechoi said:
what model of laptop will coming students be using?

They will provide us with the laptop (I think it's mandatory to buy it from them) they will be IBM thinkpads A?? or T??
Can't wait to get mine next week. :thumbup:

Like I mentioned in the pre-dent forum, I will be driving from Toronto to Boston next Monday July the 4th for the EXCEL program. If anyone is doing the same please PM me, I can use some company.

Thanks and see you all soon.

DB#1 said:
I will be in Boston on the Monday the 4th sometime in the afternoon. I talked to Dianne and she said it's ok to move in early. Let me know if you have any plans... :thumbup:

I get into Boston at around 6 pm or so...I will check later to make sure.

Im staying with a friend that lives up there for now, but if I could move in early, I'd much rather do that.

Hey guys, visited the financial aid office this past friday. I had to drop off some things they said i am missing for the instituational aid. Met with one of the staff members and she assured me they will have everything done before july 15th. I must have asked her 3 times if they will process my federal loans and certifiy my private loans.

Anyone will be driving to school daily? How will you handle parking? I saw that few blocks not far form school had meters but they had to be fed every 2 hours. Anyone know where there is street parking without meters?

Where is everyone living for the next year? What part of Boston?

my financial aid process is not completed either and I am worried.

I will be living in Roxbury area.

How much will you be paying for apartment in Roxbury?

I don't have any BU financial/loan problems...
That's cuz I am Canadian and I gotta find my own loans :D

Anyways, where is the Roxbury area? I have been looking for apartments on Craiglist for the past month and never came across the name Roxbury :confused: I am hoping to find a place within walking distance from East Newton street.

I will be driving my car during the EXCEL month, and it depends where I will end up after. I remeber them saying during the interview that it was a pain to get a parking spot around the school, you gotta feed the meters every 2 hours.

Hey guys...I'll be stayin in the south end...a couple of blocks away from the school. About parking, I think there's a parking garage close to the school where u can park, I think u just get a monthly pass or something...sounds more convenient than the meter parking anyway.

TOdentist said:
Hey guys...I'll be stayin in the south end...a couple of blocks away from the school. About parking, I think there's a parking garage close to the school where u can park, I think u just get a monthly pass or something...sounds more convenient than the meter parking anyway.

You already found a place? How did you go about it? Solid work :thumbup: , not knowing where Im going to live is starting to worry me. I suck at stuff like that.

Rezdawg said:
You already found a place? How did you go about it? Solid work :thumbup: , not knowing where Im going to live is starting to worry me. I suck at stuff like that.

Yep I did. Unlike you guys I won't be there during July for excel, so my roommate and I just got it over with...she was a little anxious about getting a place fast! The best way to go about it is to call up some realtors (from different agencies) and give them some guidelines as to what you're looking for...they'll show you around and if you don't end up liking anything it's okay. I would try at least two different realtors cuz each agency has different listings.

Good luck :luck:

Rezdawg said:

Starting July 28th (the day they kick us out of the EXCEL housing), you are invited to stay at my place on the corner of East Newton Street and Albany ;) .

DB#1 said:
Starting July 28th (the day they kick us out of the EXCEL housing), you are invited to stay at my place on the corner of East Newton Street and Albany ;) .

I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like its my best bet.

Any of you guys staying at The Towers during excel get your room assignments? My butt will be chillin in room 305.

Rezdawg said:
I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like its my best bet.

Any of you guys staying at The Towers during excel get your room assignments? My butt will be chillin in room 305.

How did you find this out?
and do you know what time you will get there on Monday? I think I will be there anytime between 2-5 p.m.

DB#1 said:
How did you find this out?
and do you know what time you will get there on Monday? I think I will be there anytime between 2-5 p.m.

I got an email that gave me my address, room number, phone number, etc...

I get there Monday night around 6 pm. A buddy of mine is picking me up from the airport and Im staying with him for the night. We'll see what the situation is like, but maybe we can go out and grab a drink or two Monday night.

Anyone received their federal loans yet? i called the financial aid office for the 1000th time , all they could say is it will be processed before the deadline.

Jamison321 said:
Where is everyone living for the next year? What part of Boston?

Hello my name is Bill and I will be attending the Excel program with you guys as well. I drove from Chicago to Boston last week and am staying with my cousin in Swampscott about 1 hour to the city via Commuter rail and orange line. I have currently put down a hold on an apartment complex just south of the BU main right by the BUS shuttle. The apartments are called Dexter Park apartments and are about 3 blocks away from the shuttle. I don't move into the apartment until August 1 so I will be commuting the 1 hour for the next month. So, I decided to live by the main campus because of the shuttle and because it does have a good track record for the schedule. Anyway look forward to meeting all of you tomorrow.

Bill

does anyone know if we can use our own scrub?
if so, any color restriction?
Thanks~

does anybody know if we are going to receive an orientation schedule before school starts, or should we assume it will be the same as last year's?

i'm wondering if 'formal business attire' means we have to wear business suits every day....or maybe just the 1st day? (or even the induction ceremony?)

those who applied for federal loans, have u received them yet?