For current BU students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
canuck_chick said:
does anybody know if we are going to receive an orientation schedule before school starts, or should we assume it will be the same as last year's?

i'm wondering if 'formal business attire' means we have to wear business suits every day....or maybe just the 1st day? (or even the induction ceremony?)

I really think the formal business attire is just for the ceremony... or else I'm going to be wearing the same suit for a pretty long time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

canuck_chick said:
does anybody know if we are going to receive an orientation schedule before school starts, or should we assume it will be the same as last year's?

i'm wondering if 'formal business attire' means we have to wear business suits every day....or maybe just the 1st day? (or even the induction ceremony?)

How do you know what last years is? Also, where is everyone living?

do most students have the health insurance offered by the school???

Members don't see this ad :)
canuck_chick said:

Just show up on August 1st and you should be fine ;)
The formal attire is for the ceremony only, after that you see students walking around with whatever they want. It's a pretty nice/chill atmosphere we have here at BU, so no worries.

BTW, me and Rezadawg are willing to anwer any questions, since we are in Boston doing EXCEL and it's been great so far. Everyone here is cool and we cant wait to meet the rest of the class.

For those not in EXCEL...bring some lubrication. j/k...but seriously, it will be a hell of a ride. Just over a week here and its quite obvious that all our lives are about to get flip-turned upside down.

Overall, Ive been pretty impressed with the student body and the school. Should be an interesting 4 years.

Work hard. Play hard.

Rezdawg said:
For those not in EXCEL...bring some lubrication. j/k...but seriously, it will be a hell of a ride. Just over a week here and its quite obvious that all our lives are about to get flip-turned upside down.

Overall, Ive been pretty impressed with the student body and the school. Should be an interesting 4 years.

Work hard. Play hard.

Reza, from your comments and those of DB#1.....I'm soooo scared of the workload. I can't believe one of the anatomy lecs was 52 slides...maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to get worried already.

So there's no need to dress up formally on the first day then, eh?

That's good news...I really didn't want to have to wear a suit for 4 days haha.

And for whoever was interested in looking at last year's orientation schedule, it can be found here:
http://dentalschool.bu.edu/Departments/student-serv/Orientation-Schedule-2004.pdf

DB#1 said:
Just show up on August 1st and you should be fine ;)
The formal attire is for the ceremony only, after that you see students walking around with whatever they want. It's a pretty nice/chill atmosphere we have here at BU, so no worries.

BTW, me and Rezadawg are willing to anwer any questions, since we are in Boston doing EXCEL and it's been great so far. Everyone here is cool and we cant wait to meet the rest of the class.

TOdentist said:
Reza, from your comments and those of DB#1.....I'm soooo scared of the workload. I can't believe one of the anatomy lecs was 52 slides...maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to get worried already.

Yeah, it will definitely be above and beyond anything we have ever seen. Dont worry about it though, everyone is in the same boat. Just get as much rest as possible before you get here.

Do any current BU students want to shed some light on the excel and/or apex programs at BU. From what i've been told, both are a waste of time, and more importantly tuition dollars for dental students there. Any thoughts?

Ecks said:
Do any current BU students want to shed some light on the excel and/or apex programs at BU. From what i've been told, both are a waste of time, and more importantly tuition dollars for dental students there. Any thoughts?

Since I havent done APEX, I cant say much about it. However, regarding EXCEL, I have lots to say...

It is definitely worth it. There is no doubt in my mind. Every other student that is currently doing it (40+) would say the same thing. First off, you learn the city of Boston and become comfortable getting around, using the bus and the T. You get a good feel for the city and wont need time later to adjust. Secondly, you meet over a third of your class. When school starts, we already have our core group of friends. For the most part, every one of us seems to get along with the others. Socially speaking, its a huge edge. Thirdly, and most important, you get tossed into the fire in regards to school work. Your days generally run from 8-5, similar to how it will be when "real" school starts. Also, you get a good feel of what it will take to be successful with the school work. You get an idea of just how much work is required to do well. Plus, you get a taste of how the exams are given during the school year. You also get yourself in a position where the faculty recognizes you, which could be beneficial later. Basically, when school begins, we wont be new to the process. The adjustment we will face will be minimal when compared to others who did not go through the process.

Now, Im not saying this to tell the other people that they are screwed. Not at all. Its just that I feel that EXCEL is very beneficial based on what I have seen. I think I speak for everyone in EXCEL when I say that the program is 100% worth it.

Maybe DB#1 can toss out his opinion as well, because maybe my analysis was completely off and I was talking out of my a$$.

Rezdawg said:
Since I havent done APEX, I cant say much about it. However, regarding EXCEL, I have lots to say...

It is definitely worth it. There is no doubt in my mind. Every other student that is currently doing it (40+) would say the same thing. First off, you learn the city of Boston and become comfortable getting around, using the bus and the T. You get a good feel for the city and wont need time later to adjust. Secondly, you meet over a third of your class. When school starts, we already have our core group of friends. For the most part, every one of us seems to get along with the others. Socially speaking, its a huge edge. Thirdly, and most important, you get tossed into the fire in regards to school work. Your days generally run from 8-5, similar to how it will be when "real" school starts. Also, you get a good feel of what it will take to be successful with the school work. You get an idea of just how much work is required to do well. Plus, you get a taste of how the exams are given during the school year. You also get yourself in a position where the faculty recognizes you, which could be beneficial later. Basically, when school begins, we wont be new to the process. The adjustment we will face will be minimal when compared to others who did not go through the process.

Now, Im not saying this to tell the other people that they are screwed. Not at all. Its just that I feel that EXCEL is very beneficial based on what I have seen. I think I speak for everyone in EXCEL when I say that the program is 100% worth it.

Maybe DB#1 can toss out his opinion as well, because maybe my analysis was completely off and I was talking out of my a$$.

so what exactly do you guys do from 8-5 every day?

Ecks said:
so what exactly do you guys do from 8-5 every day?

We are taking Biochem, Anatomy, and Physiology...each take up 2 hours. At the beginning, we were in Biochem for 3 hours, it was brutal. We have an hour for lunch. We made impressions today, but usually the afternoons will be guest lectures. A few of the days, we have the afternoons off (out by 2:00).

Mixed in there were also computer training sessions, using medline, and a few lunches w/ the faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
DB#1 said:
Just to clearifiy, I said that you have to dress up for the orientation, but not the regular school days.

So we need to dress up for orientation? I thought we did not.

Jamison321 said:
So we need to dress up for orientation? I thought we did not.

Ok... this is getting too confusing here, I will ask tomorow and let you guys know. I was thinking that we have to dress up cuz they specified "professional attire is approperiate" and this was what we were told to wear at the EXCEL welcome dinner, everyone was dressed up. But don't worry I hope I will have the answer for you tomorow...

jinniechoi said:
do most students have the health insurance offered by the school???

To my knowledge, most students waived it, cuz they already have one, however, the Canadians have to take it, since our don't work here.

Jamison321 said:
How do you know what last years is? Also, where is everyone living?

Most people are living in the Back Bay area, some live in the BU graduate residences (me), some live in the Southend, and some live in Alston. Let me know if you want info the areas, I checked out lots of apartments.

Speaking of housing, whether you live in the BU undergrad area, Back Bay, or the South End, the commute to school is very easy. If you live in the BU undergrad, you take the BU shuttle, free of charge, directly to the medical center. Or, you can take the green line to Hynes, where you can transfer onto the CT1 bus and head to school. If you live in Back Bay, you have the option of 3 buses that will take you to school. If you live in the South End, then you are a lazy ass if you need to take a bus to school.

Therefore, the commute shouldnt really be an issue...just choose a place that accomodates all your other needs.

Do they let dental/med students live in the grad residences?
Or are you only staying there for APEX?

DB#1 said:
Most people are living in the Back Bay area, some live in the BU graduate residences (me), some live in the Southend, and some live in Alston. Let me know if you want info the areas, I checked out lots of apartments.

canuck_chick said:
Do they let dental/med students live in the grad residences?
Or are you only staying there for APEX?

We are allowed to live in the Graduate residences, to me this was the best option. I liked them because they on BU's main campus and, therefore very close the BU shutle bus, free of charge. So, I can have the campus life, go the amazing new gym facility etc. and still be at the Dental school when I need to. Second, I didn't have to go through the credit check headaches, it could have been a little bit of a problem cuz I am Canadian, it might have taked longer, and I only paid one month's rent o secure the apartment, whereas other places (not with BU) you have to pay first, last and a deposit. Third, this was one of few places that I could get my apartment on August 1st, all the other places start September 1st.

However, I suggest that if you are interested in them to act quickly, they are getting taken off the lists very quickly.

can you provide some more details on the graduate residences (cost etc?) also how do you go about getting one of these places and are there any online pics? thanks

so for orientation we have to wear suits?

Hi,

My fellow BU dental students, class of 2009. I was wondering how many are you are from California and when are you planning to move to Boston.
so far I only know one more person from California, but I wanted to see if there were more? let me know.
Thanks.

drmojjo said:
Hi,

My fellow BU dental students, class of 2009. I was wondering how many are you are from California and when are you planning to move to Boston.
so far I only know one more person from California, but I wanted to see if there were more? let me know.
Thanks.

Take it for what its worth, but I heard that the Californians are prone to be the most depressed in Boston area dental schools. Its not because you guys cant handle the dental school stress, its because Boston's weather and gloominess in the winter takes a major toll on you guys. Just trying to prepare you... :thumbup: :luck:

Bickle said:
Take it for what its worth, but I heard that the Californians are prone to be the most depressed in Boston area dental schools. Its not because you guys cant handle the dental school stress, its because Boston's weather and gloominess in the winter takes a major toll on you guys. Just trying to prepare you... :thumbup: :luck:

I heard about the cold winters in Boston, It's not gonna be easy but I'll try to adapt. I have been in places that have had pretty cold winters, but I don't knoe how cold it will get in Boston. any way thanks for informing me.

drmojjo said:
I heard about the cold winters in Boston, It's not gonna be easy but I'll try to adapt. I have been in places that have had pretty cold winters, but I don't knoe how cold it will get in Boston. any way thanks for informing me.

Much of the student body is comprised of kids from California, Texas, and Florida...it'll be rough for most of us.

drmojjo said:

Its not just the cold, there are times when it will be weeks upon weeks when you'll never see the sun either because it sets so early here or its always gray and cloudly.

drmojjo said:
Hi,

Thanks.

I am from California...even though I had been there for 5 yrs.
I was told from admission comm. that there are pretty high percentage of Californian in our class.
look forward to meeting them!

I don't think this has been answered yet, what are we supposed to wear on the first day?

Jamison321 said:
I don't think this has been answered yet, what are we supposed to wear on the first day?

I'd wear a nice shirt and jeans. I dont think you'd want to get too fancy with it, given the fact that it will just be a busy day for you guys, going from 7am until 5pm. In other words, dont get too dressed up, but also dont dress like you are going to the beach. Something inbetween should be fine.

Does anyone know, if i take the shuttle bus at 7 30 am (earliest service) leaving form the undergrad BU campus, will it arrive at the dental school by 8am?

konovsi said:
Does anyone know, if i take the shuttle bus at 7 30 am (earliest service) leaving form the undergrad BU campus, will it arrive at the dental school by 8am?

The kids staying at the dorms for EXCEL use that bus everyday. It will get you to school on time, with at least 5 minutes to spare.