For current students of ASDOH

Started by luvabully
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

luvabully

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm going to be attending ASDOH this year (yeah!) and wanted some opinions from the "veterans" about commuting during school. What do you guys think is the acceptable commute length due to the hectic first semester classes? I don't know the schedule; assuming it's 8-5?? So, is living as far as Queen Creek too much hassle? It's a little cheaper there and I've heard it's about a 25 minute drive from the subdivisions I'm looking at (Johnson Ranch being one).

The first year, do you have a lot of after hours time at the school. I thought someone there told me the sim-lab closes after 5 and unless you wanted the library, would you be able to do your work/studying at home?

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance,
 
Many of my classmates live in Queen Creek. The problem is that it is a one lane road to and from town, which really stinks. The drive isn't too bad, but you should be prepared to spend 45 minutes on it each day.

As far as first year, you can easily do that. There isn't any real reason to stick around after school, unless you are going to study in groups. The simlab does close, so you won't be in it unless they are holding a special after hours activity.
 
Well i'm not a current ASDOH student but I will tell you that QC is a good palce to live. This is taking into consideration the commute as well. There should not be any problem getting to and from school. I know many people who live in Johnson ranch and it's a great place. For somewhere a little closer try Power Ranch. Not sure if there is a big difference in price. Your communte really depends on how far out in QC you plan on living. My sister lives out in QC but lives on the far east edge (pretty far out it seem like from East Chandler). My daughter used to live in QC around 15 miniutes from my sister. So there can be a big difference depending on which part of QC. One thing to consider about QC is that many of the roads are one or two lanes and many are still stop signs rather than lights. In the evening traffic can get backed up. The roads simply have not kept up with all the new construction but even still it's not to bad. Power ranch is right off power road so that why I suggest this place, just one road over from campus (Recker).

Other places to consider: Anywhere near power road South of the US 60 Freeway, this means South East Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, and QC. Gilbert can be expensive to buy and has higher property taxes than others (don't quote me on this, just what my parents who there have said). Gilbert is a nice affluent area in many parts. East Mesa around power East, West, and South should be a resonably priced area as well especially if you will be renting first. I'm not sure about the home pricing right now it's been a year or so since i've looked at the market. I do know that it has slowed down a little bit but I don't think home prices have moved alot yet. The homes are just taking alot longer to sell. It was a year ago when homes went up on ther market and were off the market in the same day, even before the realtor could put a sign in the yard. I know several people in QC that have had there homes on the market for as long as six months (sister and two different friends). May be they are just stubborn and don't want to budge on price, but a year and a half ago someone from DCalifornia would have bought them in a second. In my Opinion the home prices have gone up so much over the last few years that the people who can afford to buy the homes in QC work to far away. The types of jobs that allow you to support a mortgage of this much $ are far and few between near QC, especially since many homes are $300,000 to 400,000. Well I've rambled on entirely to long. I hope this helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ItsGavinC said:
Many of my classmates live in Queen Creek. The problem is that it is a one lane road to and from town, which really stinks. The drive isn't too bad, but you should be prepared to spend 45 minutes on it each day.

As far as first year, you can easily do that. There isn't any real reason to stick around after school, unless you are going to study in groups. The simlab does close, so you won't be in it unless they are holding a special after hours activity.
Beat me to the puch Gavin and did a much better job paraphrasing what I said in the long winded post above. Thanks
 
klfb80 said:
Well i'm not a current ASDOH student but I will tell you that QC is a good palce to live. This is taking into consideration the commute as well. There should not be any problem getting to and from school. I know many people who live in Johnson ranch and it's a great place. For somewhere a little closer try Power Ranch. Not sure if there is a big difference in price. Your communte really depends on how far out in QC you plan on living. My sister lives out in QC but lives on the far east edge (pretty far out it seem like from East Chandler). My daughter used to live in QC around 15 miniutes from my sister. So there can be a big difference depending on which part of QC. One thing to consider about QC is that many of the roads are one or two lanes and many are still stop signs rather than lights. In the evening traffic can get backed up. The roads simply have not kept up with all the new construction but even still it's not to bad. Power ranch is right off power road so that why I suggest this place, just one road over from campus (Recker).

Other places to consider: Anywhere near power road South of the US 60 Freeway, this means South East Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, and QC. Gilbert can be expensive to buy and has higher property taxes than others (don't quote me on this, just what my parents who there have said). Gilbert is a nice affluent area in many parts. East Mesa around power East, West, and South should be a resonably priced area as well especially if you will be renting first. I'm not sure about the home pricing right now it's been a year or so since i've looked at the market. I do know that it has slowed down a little bit but I don't think home prices have moved alot yet. The homes are just taking alot longer to sell. It was a year ago when homes went up on ther market and were off the market in the same day, even before the realtor could put a sign in the yard. I know several people in QC that have had there homes on the market for as long as six months (sister and two different friends). May be they are just stubborn and don't want to budge on price, but a year and a half ago someone from DCalifornia would have bought them in a second. In my Opinion the home prices have gone up so much over the last few years that the people who can afford to buy the homes in QC work to far away. The types of jobs that allow you to support a mortgage of this much $ are far and few between near QC, especially since many homes are $300,000 to 400,000. Well I've rambled on entirely to long. I hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the info; I will keep all that in mind!

ItsGavinC, thanks for the input on the semester's schedule!
 
Hi
We are in the process of finishing up our first year... one more class to go... 🙂 😀 👍

In terms of living arrangments, like Gavin and K mentioned, there are a few people in my class who commute to QC and they seem to do just fine.

Just to let you know in terms of schedule, I hardly stayed at school past 5 every day during my first year. On many days we got off at 3 or 4 and many of us stayed to study 'til 5. However, on the many occasions we had class until 5, most of us were so tired, we just wanted to get out of school and go home.

You won't worry too much about the sim lab closing at 5, trust me on this. I don't know of anyone that had any issues w/this.

Good luck to those of you coming in!!! 👍
 
Here is my two cents. I grew up in Mesa and have a couple of buds at ASDOH. The best place in mesa to live is NE Mesa, (it is kind of a secret) When I was in high school that is where alot of new developments went in. If you are not dead set on a brand new house it is the place to be. The infrastructure is there, the 202 will be done really soon, connecting the whole valley and it is really nice. good luck
 
wimmcs said:
Hi
We are in the process of finishing up our first year... one more class to go... 🙂 😀 👍

In terms of living arrangments, like Gavin and K mentioned, there are a few people in my class who commute to QC and they seem to do just fine.

Just to let you know in terms of schedule, I hardly stayed at school past 5 every day during my first year. On many days we got off at 3 or 4 and many of us stayed to study 'til 5. However, on the many occasions we had class until 5, most of us were so tired, we just wanted to get out of school and go home.

You won't worry too much about the sim lab closing at 5, trust me on this. I don't know of anyone that had any issues w/this.

Good luck to those of you coming in!!! 👍

When does the day start?
 
most of the time it starts at 8am... but sometimes it starts at 8:30 or 9.
 
wimmcs said:
Hi
We are in the process of finishing up our first year... one more class to go... 🙂 😀 👍

In terms of living arrangments, like Gavin and K mentioned, there are a few people in my class who commute to QC and they seem to do just fine.

Just to let you know in terms of schedule, I hardly stayed at school past 5 every day during my first year. On many days we got off at 3 or 4 and many of us stayed to study 'til 5. However, on the many occasions we had class until 5, most of us were so tired, we just wanted to get out of school and go home.

You won't worry too much about the sim lab closing at 5, trust me on this. I don't know of anyone that had any issues w/this.

Good luck to those of you coming in!!! 👍

Did you guys get a detailed schedule of classes, and breaks during the school year, or was it more of a week by week thing?
 
luvabully said:
Hello,

I'm going to be attending ASDOH this year (yeah!) and wanted some opinions from the "veterans" about commuting during school. What do you guys think is the acceptable commute length due to the hectic first semester classes? I don't know the schedule; assuming it's 8-5?? So, is living as far as Queen Creek too much hassle? It's a little cheaper there and I've heard it's about a 25 minute drive from the subdivisions I'm looking at (Johnson Ranch being one).

The first year, do you have a lot of after hours time at the school. I thought someone there told me the sim-lab closes after 5 and unless you wanted the library, would you be able to do your work/studying at home?

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance,


I am a first year student at ASDOH and I live in Johnson Ranch. Gavin is right about the drive. It takes me about 40-50 min depending on the traffic. It wasn't a big deal though. You could actually turn it into a positive thing if you record lectures and listen to them on the way to and from school. If you want to email me I can call you and tell you everything you need to know about living out there as a student.
 
Lostinbul said:
Did you guys get a detailed schedule of classes, and breaks during the school year, or was it more of a week by week thing?


The 1st semester will be very organized and you should know your entire semester schedule when you start. Our second semester was a different story. hopefully they have worked out the bugs for you guys. we submited tons of suggestions for how to make it better. At the beginning of the second semester you should get a calandar which will give you a general overview of that semester. Things will change as time goes on but nothing to worry about. Unless you are a control freak you should have a pleasant 1st year with minimum stress.
 
I started out the school year living outside of mesa and a good bit from campus. I'll be honest with you, it drove me nuts. Especially just coming from an undergrad school. Lots of people do it from every class, but ... I would just say consider what's important to you. Almost everything of interest is going to best west & north of the schoo. Living east will add lots of time for ... any traveling.

I try and stay physically active, so living east and going to the gym was a HUGE pain (our gym this year isn't located right by the school), as I was spending 40 minutes each way trying to get there. This was killing my study time, so I had to either cut out the gym and other sports activities, or more closer to school.

I now live about 2 minutes from the school, and I like it MUCH better. Less time to waste driving or winding up in unpredictable traffic and more time to do the things you want or need to be doing. Just evaluate your needs and I think you can make a good decision. If you're married and you donig do a lot of extracurricular activities, living in QC will be a breeze.

I look forward to meeting you guys next year.

Dane
 
The kid above me is not as active as he says he is.

Also, I would avoid living in Queen Creek unless you have a family and need a bigger house. Otherwise socializing with friends will be hard since most everyone will live close or relatively close to school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lostinbul said:
Did you guys get a detailed schedule of classes, and breaks during the school year, or was it more of a week by week thing?


You'll get a detailed schedule, however each instructor is free to set their own hours for the module they are teaching. The breaks, etc. are already set in stone.
 
To the OP, if you do move to Queen Creek, find some other classmates out there in your class and carpool with them. That way you can at least discuss some good dental stuff, or quiz each other on things, as you commute. It'll save on gas money as well.
 
dane4695 said:
you all SuCK

There is no need to be bitter that you are not an active person as you claim. I myself am very active and it is over-rated. Oh and I love it in Queen Creek.