For everyone that got accepted to a Texas school please give me your input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznnytezx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Texas resident, and I am interested in going to one of the dental schools here.

I just want to know what was your numbers that you applied with and also anything that probably sticked out the most in your application.

Members don't see this ad.

Check my predent profile.
However, I think I am an anomaly. I most definitely brought down the average GPA and AA on DAT. I had a prior engineering GPA of 2.97. Worked for nearly six years as an engineer. Then took around 60 hours of nothing but science classes to complete a biology degree with a 3.95 GPA for an overall GPA of 3.14.

I will say I was likely the last accepted to my class, having been put on the waitlist, and accepted mid April. However, I was accepted to both San Antonio and Baylor (chose Baylor). I never heard from Houston until the rejection email.

I think my trend (going from 2.79 to 18 classes with all A's) set me apart. I really think my personal statement set me apart. And of course my interview went really well, as my communication skills were 'different' from those of a traditional student, as I had been working in industry fro six years and had to communicate daily with colleagues, state regulators, clients, and vendors. Also, much of my volunteer work was in leadership positions (Boy Scout Troop Scoutmaster(150+ hours), volunteer Ochem tutor(70+ hours), Philmont Adult leader (10 day trek)) in addition to loads of shadowing.

Let me know if you want more specifics.