For Fun: Odd/Interesting Pet Behaviors?

Started by clouds815
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clouds815

Cornell CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my cats will wake up temporarily, stretch, and then paw his way up to me, and wait for me to realize he's there, wake up and lift up the covers where he goes underneath them and curls up next to my stomach and purrs


anyone else have any interesting pets to report, just for fun?
 
my 5 yr old min pin mix:

1) just loooves to eat grass
2) can't resist rubbing herself on worms (even better if they're smushed on the sidewalk)
3) when she sleeps, she completely burrows herself under a blanket-- which is insanely adorable, if I may say so myself 😉
 
Oh lord. You have NO idea. I mean, obviously they all have their little quirks (and when you have 4 cats and one very, very stupid horse, you get a lot of quirkiness).
The deaf kitten, Dorian, yells. All the time. Literally the most vocal cat I've ever met. His NEW game starts at 5am, when I'm still trying to get that last half hour of sleep. He likes to stand at the end of the hallway, get a nice run-up, and BODY SLAM the bedroom door. Repeatedly. You can imagine how cute this is with 12lbs of very energetic 11 month old cat.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My African Grey parrot loves to lie on his back and when he molts one of his flight feathers, he uses it as a comb to scratch his neck!!!! The bird is a genius!!

brutusonback.jpg
 
so I have an 8 month old siamese dog trapped in a cats body.... he will eat anything... no really. Yogurt, raw carrots, potato chips, salsa!?! Of course I never intend for him to eat any of this....The fact that he can get onto counters, and has learned to open cabinets and drawers is making my life verrryyy difficult. We even had to buy a new trash can with a latching lid.

Of course he plays fetch. over. and over. and over. and over.

And he is obsessed with drinking water out of our glasses.

And he likes to treadmill his little paws on our closed door at 4 in the morning while he yowls for 20 minutes straight until we let him in. Where he proceeds to try to crawl through the mini-blinds and knock the curtains down.

but of course i love him 🙄
 
My border collie mix likes to jump on furniture and roll around making the funniest growling sounds you have ever heard. His favorite place to do this is on my parents' bed where he jumps up and licks the pillow and rolls around going, "rawr, rawr, rawr". It is really comical.

My other dog has a stange way for eating her food. First she has to lay in front of the bowl. Then she has to stare directly at it for about a minute. Then she gets her face right next to the food and sniffs it for another minute or two. Then she licks it. And after about 5 minutes, she will finally start to eat it. She does this every single time.

My cat is weird because she loves all types of food: chips, apples, peanut butter, peeps (she will come running for these when she hears someone in the kitchen pull out the package), mashed potatoes it is insane. But, she HATES tuna. So weird. Of course we never intended on her getting to this food but she will come running to wherever you are jump up and get right in your face and try to eat it. It is funny, but annoying too.
 
Of course he plays fetch. over. and over. and over. and over.

I have black cat, born from a stray in a garage, who fetches too. I figure she must be part siamese or burmese because of this trait. Wasn't taught it, just did it one day. She drops the toy at my feet and meows and meows until I throw it and keeps bringing it back. At times, I've suddenly discovered that she's dropped three of these things right next to me waiting for me to throw one. And she's very particular about the type of toy. Has to be a Hartz plastic ball with bell inside. Goes crazy over the sound too. I stocked up so I have a lifetime supply since of course they magically disappear or get stepped on or crushed by the dogs.
 
My border collie will "cheese" (i.e. show her teeth/smile - not in an aggressive manner) at me but only in the morning when I'm first waking up and getting out of bed. She has NEVER done it at any other time!
My kitten (who is no longer a kitten) used to sleep on my side when I slept on my side. She still tries to do this and she is full grown...needless to say it usually ends with claws in my chest or back when she tries to catch herself from falling and me jumping awake.
My three-legged cat, Henry, can still jump about 4-5 feet straight in the air, even with the missing front leg. He's wicked fast as well!
 
One of our cats will eat anything made out of bread-type stuff, but absolutely refuses anything beef. She also won't eat bread stuff unless you hold it up for her.

Another kitty is weird; she loves to bring leaved in from outside, for some reason. Every day, i come home to at least five leaves scattered about the house.
She also enjoys sneaking into my room when I'm not there and attempting to take my hairbands. I usually keep the door closed, but sometimes she'll get in there when im out for a sec or whatever. Then if I catch her at it, she'll try to bolt, and if I trap her, she'll squat down and makes a "now I'm gonna get it" face.
Her other hobbies include shredding our toilet paper and splashing about in the toilet bowl.
 
haha this thread is making my laugh... animals are too funny

organismal - i have a TP shredder too! my bf gets soooo mad. i try to keep the door shut

the fetching cats are pretty interesting!
 
Pretty hard to pick one odd behavior when my cat and dogs have so many (a lot of which have been mentioned).

I guess the strangest is that my dogs would probably sleep in the fireplace when it is burning if I'd let them. They get as close as possible (and this is L.A. - not exactly siberia) and just ROAST. We call them rotisserie dogs.

The other funny thing is my agility dog is so food motivated that when we have a treat she thinks is for her she will try running through all the behaviors she knows she gets rewarded for hoping it is the right one. She gets so worked up she won't listen sometimes to hear what I actually want her to do.
I must admit she is usually pretty good at anticipating what I am going to say though.
 
My 16 lb cat seems to think my eyebrows are detachable when I'm asleep, so when he sleeps in my room I invariably wake up to him subtly trying to peel them off with his paws (think "Simon's Cat"). He is also ridiculously obliging about giving up whatever wee beasties he's caught, and I've had everything from small snakes to baby squirrels dropped onto my feet or into my hand, often when I'm not paying attention.
Interestingly, my German Shepherd developed epilepsy a few months ago, and after his second seizure he went down to the laundry room (in a far corner of the basement where he never goes), stood in front of the mirror, and stared at himself for 5 minutes straight 😕.
 
The other funny thing is my agility dog is so food motivated that when we have a treat she thinks is for her she will try running through all the behaviors she knows she gets rewarded for hoping it is the right one. She gets so worked up she won't listen sometimes to hear what I actually want her to do.
I must admit she is usually pretty good at anticipating what I am going to say though.


Heh, mine does the same thing. She tries EVERYTHING...sit, down, both paws, dancing, "Begging", roll over, play dead, spins. If I ignore all that, she starts going through her toy collection and bringing them over to me. So I end up with a pile of tennis balls and bones around my feet, and whirling ball of motion with a wagging tail, and half the time, all I'm trying to do is cook MY dinner.

It's mostly my fault, I admit. I have all her treats and toys and stuff in a rubbermaid 3-drawer thingie. And I keep my favorite pot on top of it. So everytime I get the pot out....the dog thinks the treats come out with it.


And yes, mine also has a fascination for rolling in things. Dead snakes are wonderful. And if there's a mountain of snow anywhere, she will run up to the top, and slide down it on her back, wiggling back and forth the whole time. I wish I could get a video, it's hilarious



ETA: She's also fascinated with garbage. I can leave an open bag of stinky kitchen trash, and she wont touch it.
The office trash though, she will meticulously go through and pick out all receipts. They then get turned into confetti. She won't touch tissues or other paper. Just receipts.
 
My cat is a klutz, she falls off the couch, chairs, and my lap all the time. especially when she sleeps, and then wakes up and stretches....she'll stretch so much she falls off where ever she is sleeping :laugh:

She also eats EVERYTHING, like people have said above. Her latest interesting thing was laffy taffy. I was eating some and left it on the table in front of me while i talked on the phone. she comes over and starts licking it ferociously

Have you guys seen the "ninja cat" video? my cat is like that. she is super sneaky and sometimes ull look at her...go to another room...and she'll be in the other room looking at u lol. One time i walked into the kitchen and she had snuck up on the bar/counter, she knew she had done something bad and she jsut stared forward like a statue. As if i cant see her if she doesnt move lol. We keep a bell on her now at all times because she is too sneaky!!
 
She also eats EVERYTHING, like people have said above. Her latest interesting thing was laffy taffy. I was eating some and left it on the table in front of me while i talked on the phone. she comes over and starts licking it ferociously
Opposite problem here. My cat defines finicky. Will only eat one flavor of one brand of cat food. Once they changed the formula and took us a while to find a new one she would like.

Disdains all human food .... except bread .... Will not eat meat or fish or anything.

And luckily most of the ninja tactics are saved for the dogs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My one cat (who turns one in a week (when did that happen!) suckles my hands when she is in a particularly good mood. She'll also suckle the blanket (but only if its microplush) sometimes, but she prefers my hand. We have her trained to sit, come, and high five on command. her preferred method of travel is the be on her side and pull herself across the carpet with one paw.

The other kitten will eat anything - and is still sort of feral (we rescued him from the Smokies). My husband had a piece of toast out and walked away, when he came back, Apollo was dragging it off. He's also been known to try steal potato chips off of plates when he can. He also stole the husband's wedding band once and dragged it under the couch. Can't say I'm upset that he started freaking out when he couldn't find his ring.
 
This is Snoopy, my Australian cattle dog. I had to euthanize him two years ago and I still miss the fellow. Cattle dogs are herding animals but I had no herd for Snoopy. So he herded my son. When my son was in elementary school he would get off the school bus and Snoopy would grab him by the trousers and walk him up the sidewalk and would not release my son until he got to the porch. Snoopy was being a responsible herding dog. My BF and I laughed but my son did not think it so funny at the time.


snoopy.jpg
 
She'll also suckle the blanket

omg i almost left out the best one!!

My cat licks EVERYTHING. she licks blankets, metal, carpet, plastic, trash, the air, bugs, books. she literally licks anything possible. i hate it, especially electronics!!!! i always get scared she will electrocute herself 🙁 and i hate when she licks fuzzy blankets because im afraid she will get a "fuzz" ball lol
 
I recently adopted a pair of cats--17-year-old brothers, who have been together all their lives and are a bonded pair.

They do everything together. And I mean everything, including using their box. I heard someone scratching around in it last night, glanced over to see who was in there, and both of them were in it, side-by side. One of the staff members at the shelter where I got them had a pic on her camera of them doing their synchronized peeing routine, but I didn't expect them to make a regular practice of it!
 
I recently adopted a pair of cats--17-year-old brothers, who have been together all their lives and are a bonded pair.

They do everything together. And I mean everything, including using their box. I heard someone scratching around in it last night, glanced over to see who was in there, and both of them were in it, side-by side. One of the staff members at the shelter where I got them had a pic on her camera of them doing their synchronized peeing routine, but I didn't expect them to make a regular practice of it!
Siamese?
 
She also eats EVERYTHING, like people have said above. Her latest interesting thing was laffy taffy. I was eating some and left it on the table in front of me while i talked on the phone. she comes over and starts licking it ferociously

One of my girls once ate half a bag of Hershey's Hugs. I mean, individually unwrapped and ATE them. She also chews open cardboard boxes to see if anything edible is inside.
 
omg i almost left out the best one!!

My cat licks EVERYTHING. she licks blankets, metal, carpet, plastic, trash, the air, bugs, books. she literally licks anything possible. i hate it, especially electronics!!!! i always get scared she will electrocute herself 🙁 and i hate when she licks fuzzy blankets because im afraid she will get a "fuzz" ball lol


Thankfully, ours doesn't ingest the blankets too much. She will eat random things off the floor though
 
omg i almost left out the best one!!

My cat licks EVERYTHING. she licks blankets, metal, carpet, plastic, trash, the air, bugs, books. she literally licks anything possible. i hate it, especially electronics!!!! i always get scared she will electrocute herself 🙁 and i hate when she licks fuzzy blankets because im afraid she will get a "fuzz" ball lol

My cat does this too. She particularly likes to lick the speakers to the tv and boxes. She will just there and constantly lick them. When we catch her and yell at her she just gives us this look and then keeps on licking. I have to make her leave where she is. She also for some reason likes to sleep on magazines and newspapers. Anytime there is a magazine out you can find her trying to fit all 14 pounds of cat into one ball on the magazine to sleep. She also has a strange fetish with kleenex travel packs. You know the kleenex that comes in the little plastic package with the sticker on the back. She will play with one of those for hours throwing it in the air, chasing it, and ripping holes into it....she does the same thing with any type of pen/pencil/marker. She loves to play with those. I have actually lost some of my favorite pens because she steals them and then I can not find them.
 
My friend has an orange tabby named "Screech." (I love Screech, so I secretly consider him as my kitty, too!) Screech loves playing fetch with dog biscuits. (He gets a box for Christmas every year.)

Additionally, he loves playing with ice cubes and will come running when someone is using the ice maker. My friend's family always knows when he's sick because that's the only time he won't come running for ice cubes...
 
my mother's dog "poses" for photos- sitting, head cocked to one side. He'll just sit there forever until you snap the picture or put the camera away.

He also likes to make "happy dog noise", you know, that throaty talking, finger-rubbing-in-ear noise- when he's chewing his squeaky bone- but only the squeaky one. And if you throw the ball, and it lands in poop, near poop, or anywhere near where poop used to be, he will just stare at it, horrified, eyebrows going, leaning back from it with one paw in the air until you save the ball from the poop.

Oh yeah, and as a now fully grown, 3 y/o golden retriever, he still lays with his back legs splayed out behind him, like chicken legs. Flexible little monster...

We had one dog that refused to be dry- if he started to dry off, he'd stand at the back door and cry until we let him out. He's jump in the pool, swim one small loop, and come back in the house. He was *not* happy when we started having him shaved.
 
My big 17-hand horse will lift his hind leg and scratch behind his ear... like a dog scratching his ear, but imagine a big warmblood doing it.

He also really likes planes, and will stare straight up into the sky and watch them fly by!
 
Ooooh, my horse. I have 17hh of slightly ******ed Thoroughbred. He used to be scared of dogs. So I taught him to go after dogs when we were at a barn with 7 dogs that ran around half-wild all the time - I had two mares who learned the same thing.
My aunt and uncle brought two dogs with them to visit once. They both go off-leash, and I said that as long as they didn't go into the pasture after the horses, that was fine. Sure enough, the Aus. Shepherd went after my horses. Hoooo boy, did those puppies turn and run when three horses turned around and went after THEM.
My gelding will pin his ears and snap at dogs when I tell him to "Get the doggie!"
 
My goats had some interesting behaviors.

One would walk up to another goat, pull her hair and eat it. The goat she did it to would either run away or head butt her. It got her in the grain feeder sometimes though, but she did it even when they weren't eating sometimes and it was always a big chunk she pulled.

My other goat Maggie had some wierd but nice behaviors too. She would "talk" to me. If I said something to her or even yelled out to the barn I would hear her ma back. If I was next to her it would be a softer ma or a grunt, but if I was farther it was louder. I also would run laps in my yard sometimes and I would have her out with me, so she would run with me half the lap, walk through the middle and skip the rest of the lap, and then run with me again. When we were walking I did let her manipulate me sometimes because she would let me know she was tired because she would lay down, roll on her back, and yell like she was dying and then we would go back to the barn.
 
With my cat there is a tie between two behaviors. First, he looooves dryer sheets (and the dryer). He would sleep all day in the dryer if I let him, and I have to make sure, if there are clean clothes in it, that I get the dryer sheet out before he eats it. He also likes to bite me when I'm sleeping. I've woken up to him biting the tender part of my arm by my tricep as well as my bicep, and my cheek, forehead, and nose as well. He just loves me so much I guess.

My dog loves bathroom trash to the point where we just have to close the bathroom door when we're done in there. She knows it's bad (which is obvious when you catch her), but continues to go in and tear the paper to shreds. She is also very happy to see me or my brother when we come home (she's at my mom's house) after being gone for a few weeks. Even if neither of us show excitement and just stand there, she goes absolutely insane, crying, whining, licking, jumping and wagging her butt.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Slater (a cat) likes to chew holes in clothes. Socks, shirts, pajama pants... and there's a cover on the couch that has holes in it and all around the edges. It looks like a rabbit or a mouse has gotten to it, but nope, just Slater.

Also, if I put a new rug out in the house, it WILL be peed on within an hour. No doubt. The living room area rug and bathroom rugs are apparently sacred. *sigh*

Oh! And he drags his butt on the area rug. It's not his anal glands, and he just does it after he licks himself, so I think he's just 'drying it off', the little turd.
 
When I went to meet the corgi I will be adopting soon (24 days!!) he made the cutest little grunting, piggy noises when he wanted attention. As if to say "Woman! Pet me!" Hahahaha :laugh:
 
I think I have always been blessed with the "special ones".

3yr old male yellow lab Bobo: if anything touches his rear (your foot, hand, any piece of furniture), he will grab whatever toy is closest (he has to have something in his mouth) and rub his behind on it (he is a boy, but I put a pink princess collar on him because I think he is confused)😛. Bobo also goes to the bathroom on command when we are outside.

4yr old female black lab Dixie: One of my first posts here on SDN was when I was having an issue with Dixie. When my husband goes out of town, I have learned that I need to leave a pair of his boxers out for her. She carries his underwear around like a toy, sleeps with it and will sometimes eat the crotch out of it. This is only with his unmentionables😱.

7yr old AQHA gelding Blue: When he is tied at the trailer and bored, Blue will lay his head on the lead line (like a sling) and take a nap. He also has the funniest noise when he gets excited, especially when it is feeding or cookie time; it sort of sounds like moaning or a cow mooing (not sure where he picked this up)!
 
I could probably go on for hours about odd behaviors, but I think my favorite is that my dog thinks he is a fox

If I say "hey Ringo, are you a fox?" he will stop what he's doing then stare at me. so I repeat the question, and he immediately gets in the 'bowing' position and looks up and barks. he just FREAKS OUT if you ask him if he's a fox!

I've also asked him if he's a bird, a cat, a dog, a mouse, a you-name-it, and he just won't respond the same way!

so yes, my dog thinks he is a fox
 
Nope; they're big brown tabby DSHs. They do talk a lot, and are very bright, curious cats. One brother is more outgoing, and isn't shy about asking for attention, or to be picked up and held like a baby. If they weren't so old and arthritic, I imagine I'd have my hands full with them. But if there's any Siamese in their recent family tree, it's not obvious.

Oh, and I've got a couple of crazy dog behavior stories:

My ex-boyfriend used to have a statue of St. Francis standing on a low table in the corner of his living room. He also had a terrier-mix dog named Chopper--who hated that statue. Chopper would come into the room, all happy-happy dog, but as soon as he caught sight of St. Francis he'd stop and growl at the statue. If he had to pass close by it, he'd slink past, growling and muttering to himself. It would have been funny enough with any other statue, but St. Francis?! Hilarious.

Also, I'm an artist. I haven't done commissioned work in ages, but 15 years ago I did a few pieces for a Mexican restaurant, including a life-sized plywood cutout of a howling coyote that was going to be placed in a high niche in the dining room. I'd attached the coyote to its base, primed it with black primer, and it was drying on a picnic table in my backyard when the clients (a husband and wife) stopped by to pay the second installment on the job.

The wife had a Lhasa Apso that went everywhere with her. Normally, it was a very well-behaved little dog. But as soon as they rounded the corner into my backyard, and the dog saw the coyote silhouette, he went insane. Lost his little doggy mind. He was going to kill that coyote if it was the last thing he ever did--and this was just a silhouette cutout! I hadn't painted any details on it but that dog knew exactly what it was. If he hadn't been on a leash, he would have gone for it; the wife had to take him back out to the car because he wouldn't calm down and stop barking.

A couple of years later, I ran into the husband at Costco and we laughed about it again. He told me that when his wife came in early to work upstairs in the office she now had to carry the dog in through the back door, instead of walking him through the dining room--otherwse, he'd look for the coyote, way up in its niche, and go crazy all over again.
 
Nope; they're big brown tabby DSHs. They do talk a lot, and are very bright, curious cats. One brother is more outgoing, and isn't shy about asking for attention, or to be picked up and held like a baby. If they weren't so old and arthritic, I imagine I'd have my hands full with them. But if there's any Siamese in their recent family tree, it's not obvious.

Just an interesting situation I saw at the vet clinic once. One of our good clients was bringing in her two cats. One a siamese and the other an orange tabby. This is such a nice lady and she had been coming to our clinic for over 5 years. She told me that the two cats are brothers (as in blood related). She said the mother was siamese and father was an orange tabby. I really was not sure if I believed her, but after looking at both cats the siamese had a small spot on its head that was orange tabby in color...really, really weird. The tabby however had no sign of having in siamese relatives at all.

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting story. Back to the original topic....
 
- One of our Siamese cats (we have 3...), Chairman Mao, loves to suck on fleece blankets and robes. He'll kneed them while he's doing it and purr his brains out.
- Another of our Siamese, Iggy, is a total mush and will walk around back and forth across our kitchen table ramming his head against everyone's noses to show that he loves us all.
- The cat we euthanized in the fall, Max, would eat EVERYTHING. And he LIVED for asparagus.
- Iggy can tell if we open bags of deli meats and will jump to the top of the fridge and legit SCALE the open fridge door onto your shoulder in an attempt to get some turkey.
- One of the dogs my boss owns gives hugs. As in, I'll open my arms up and say, "Lucy, give me a hug!" And she will jump up and place her paws (very gently) on my shoulders and just stand there.
- Mao will stand outside my parents' bathroom door and SCREAM if he's locked out while my dad is in there.
- My brother's cat Sasha drinks from the faucet but only if it's a thin stream or dripping.
- When he was a kitten, Max would chase me around in the mornings biting my ankles. As a 7 year old, I did not find this amusing.
- Our last dog, Cody, used to steal scrunchies from me and my friends' hair.
- If I sat on a towel, Cody would grab an end and drag me around the kitchen.
 
When I went to meet the corgi I will be adopting soon (24 days!!) he made the cutest little grunting, piggy noises when he wanted attention. As if to say "Woman! Pet me!" Hahahaha :laugh:

I think most corgis will snort like that, lol. Mine sneezes whenever she rights herself after having shown her belly, too.

There was a cat that would stalk me when I was little... he would run out and attack other people's legs sometimes, but since I was six, he would just ricochet of my back and knock me down. I hated that damn cat, lol.
 
My golden loves to run through my legs. I think she thinks its funny. I'll lean over and look through my legs and she gets sooooo excited and runs through
 
These stories are so funny!!! Well recently I had a cold and of course my parrot now coughs just like me! I swear the bird knows what he is saying, he says go caca before he poops and last night, when I was attempting to fix the vacuum cleaner, he said 'oh s*%$#! about five times. I have intentionally tried to refrain from using profanity around him, but somehow he picked it up and knows when to use it!!!😀
 
Those darn parrots know exactly what they shouldn't say, haha. I love the buggers, they're so smart and funny--hope for my own someday 🙂 And I'm sure he does know what he's saying, to some extent, lmao.
 
These stories are so funny!!! Well recently I had a cold and of course my parrot now coughs just like me! I swear the bird knows what he is saying, he says go caca before he poops and last night, when I was attempting to fix the vacuum cleaner, he said 'oh s*%$#! about five times. I have intentionally tried to refrain from using profanity around him, but somehow he picked it up and knows when to use it!!!😀

That is great! I met with a vet who works specifically on birds and runs a bird rescue earlier this week. She was showing me some of her birds and we came upon a macaw. He was perched on my arm, when she grabbed his beak (gently of course) and said, "Don't bite my finger! Don't bite my finger!" He made a sound that mimicked her finger breaking, and when she pulled her hand away, with her finger "gone" of course, he started cackling. It was too funny.
 
These stories are so funny!!! Well recently I had a cold and of course my parrot now coughs just like me! I swear the bird knows what he is saying, he says go caca before he poops and last night, when I was attempting to fix the vacuum cleaner, he said 'oh s*%$#! about five times. I have intentionally tried to refrain from using profanity around him, but somehow he picked it up and knows when to use it!!!😀

I visited my 'too and grey for the first time in 4 years!!! and my cockatoo still remembered how to poop on the "lala poo poo" command! My grey was kinda in a panicky mood so it was hard to discern what he still remembered.

my cat follows me EVERYWHERE and is always at my side, but she knows I'm lazy and won't play with her feathers on a string on a stick toy when she wants me to... so she'll drag the toy from my lap and bring it across the whole apt to one of my other roommates. If my roomie's door's closed, she puts it in front of the door and meows.
 
Too many cute things to think of for my dog..but my cat, who is nine years old, fat and doesn't do much, is just the oddest thing ever. He will go up to a blank wall, turn and directly face it, and just..stare. For long periods of time. I just don't get it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SO my mare (Mama) that passed away LOVED her belly to be scratched...and I mean loved it. Every night I would have to spend at least 10 minutes scratching her belly, until the guy who owned the farm cut down some trees in one of the paddocks, and one of the stumps that was left was PERFECT height to reach her stomach. So you would come down the barn and see her scratching her own stomach. It never got old, and I constantly laugh every time I see the pictures, once she became fully blind she was still able to do it. It was amazing!! I have put a picture in to show you 🙂

barnyard078.jpg


Also, I love just watching horses, it is one of the greatest ways to relax. We have four horses in one pasture including Mama (the blind mare). So one day while I was watching them, I was shocked to see what happened. Damian who is our smallest and most submissve horse we have stood next to Mama (the dominant mare) and Mama would put her head on his back and he would bring her to the piles of hay and to where the water was. At first I thought they were just going to do the whole scratching of the whithers, then I saw them start walking around together, and this was every day. To this day I still get goosebumps thinking of it. Damian was essentially a seeing eye horse, for another horse!!! It was one of the most touching things I have ever seen 🙂

I have so many funny stories. I will post more later 🙂
 
These stories are cracking me up! My choc lab Rizza is such a goof, she is scared of everything! Clicking pens, coke bottles, you name it. Guitars are her biggest fear though. My yorkie, Holly, that we recently had to euth was the smartest dog ever. She knew that she would get a treat for going outside to do her business so she would bark at the door, go out, squat and pretend to pee and run back and look at you like "ok I went where's my treat?" She was also awesome at catching mice. She only caught about half a dozen or so in her life but wherever she would catch one she would stalk that room for days afterwards just hoping there would be another. Rizza like most labs, also will eat pretty much anything including live chipmunks 🙁
 
Oh, where to begin with Riley?

Rescue dog, so very shy around people and for some reason is terrified of children, especially toddlers. He has learned, however, that they sometimes drop/throw food, so he does like highchairs.

Understands a lot of words: Riley, dog, car ride, walk, leash, bandanna, go, get dressed (bandanna or shirt to go out), penguin (his toy/leash box is shaped like a penguin w/ a belly that squeaks). He gets very excited and will go and get the items or press the penguin's belly.

Crazy about other dogs. Will bark and whine and pull on his leash if he doesn't get to greet them. He recognizes dogs he knows. One time he was playing with a min pin at a park far from our house and I commented that the min pin looked like his friend Karma, and it turned out it was. He knew it was her!

When he wants to go for a walk or ride in the car, he will go to his penguin on his own and get out his harness or leash. He will also get out a bandanna or a shirt b/c he knows he only wears those when we go somewhere.

Loves to roll in everything. Some of the memorable ones include fishnets laying on the ground, seaweed and mud.
picture.php


Loves water. Won't swim over his head, but he loves to splash and lay down in shallow water. He has never passed up the opportunity to go in a pool, a large water bowl, clean litter pan full of water or basically any container with water that he can squeeze himself into. This blue basin was intended as a water dish to drink out of....
picture.php