Fun Cases!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battie

U. Illinois
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go over to the human med side of SDN and recently found a good thread about fun/cool cases in the ER subforum. I think it would be fun to share cases we liked, found interesting, etc.

This week I had an adult Husky come in for xylitol toxicity of 2.0-2.4g/kg (4x the hepatotoxicity level). Hospitalized thinking he'd die despite my best efforts. Nope! Kiddos BG maintained normal levels the whole time. Liver values never changed. And the psychopath howled and hollered the whole time on ace, gaba, and trazodone.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I go over to the human med side of SDN and recently found a good thread about fun/cool cases in the ER subforum. I think it would be fun to share cases we liked, found interesting, etc.

This week I had an adult Husky come in for xylitol toxicity of 2.0-2.4g/kg (4x the hepatotoxicity level). Hospitalized thinking he'd die despite my best efforts. Nope! Kiddos BG maintained normal levels the whole time. Liver values never changed. And the psychopath howled and hollered the whole time on ace, gaba, and trazodone.

RIP to your ear drums.

Reactions: 3 users
RIP to your ear drums.
I have never regretted a hospitalized patient more if I'm being honest. He chewed through 4 fluid lines.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

When I was a student we had one at 8mg/kg who came in lateral and hypoglycemic. She had wicked high liver enzymes (I think like ALT 8-10k but this was many years ago) but never progressed to fulminant failure and left hospital doing well a week later.

Reactions: 1 users
We saw a cat that survived after getting 3mL of insulin instead of 3 units by the pet sitter

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
When I was a student we had one at 8mg/kg who came in lateral and hypoglycemic. She had wicked high liver enzymes (I think like ALT 8-10k but this was many years ago) but never progressed to fulminant failure and left hospital doing well a week later.

Do you mean 8g/kg? 8mg/kg of xylitol won't even stimulate insulin release at all.

Had an older spayed dog come in for lethargy and adr. Clearly anemic. Kidney failure. P rapidly declined and passed in hospital. Necropsy showed diffuse cancer and cause of death was cardiac tamponade. Was very sad but thankful the o let us necropsy. Took chest rads post mortem and didn't show Mets but those lungs were full of tiny spots.

Reactions: 2 users
Younger cane corso puppy counter surfed and took the fork with the food! Ended up vomiting it up himself. :rofl:

6A7329AD-2D82-4E60-8F4D-6F3EDE75D1F5.jpeg

7ABDF2B5-1E29-4CC1-B902-3880AB209249.jpeg
CCB85293-6F99-4BB2-9B51-FFD79376D4EA.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users