For Future Jeffersonians-Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afr0dite01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there going to Jeff for sure next year? I havent totally decided but its probably my first choice right now. I really enjoyed the school, especially the students. My other acceptances are Penn State and Temple. Let me know if you've decided or are thinking about Jeff!!

Members don't see this ad.

afr0dite01 said:
Anybody out there going to Jeff for sure next year? I havent totally decided but its probably my first choice right now. I really enjoyed the school, especially the students. My other acceptances are Penn State and Temple. Let me know if you've decided or are thinking about Jeff!!

i'm most likely going there. :) I love the school but I'm waitlisted somewhere else and have one more interview coming up so I'm going to wait and see.. but really great school, philly is awesome...sounds like a good place to spend the next 4 years.

i haven't decided yet but i am definitely interested. are you both going to the admitted students day on april 14?

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be going to Jefferson this fall. So far it's the only place I've been accepted but I'm still on two other waitlists and praying for more interviews, although at this point I doubt I'll get anymore. Can someone tell me about Philadelphia and why it's such a great city? When I visited, I liked the school, the campus and the people but I didn't really like the city itself. I didn't feel safe and I thought the atmosphere was kinda gloomy in general. Thanks for any thoughts!

I hope to be there with you guys next year!! I'm currently high priority waitlisted...anyone know how many people they accept who are in a similar position. Congratulations on your acceptance.

lulubean said:
i haven't decided yet but i am definitely interested. are you both going to the admitted students day on april 14?

As of now I'm goin to Jeff... Where did u here about the Apr 14th student day? I havent received any info on that

davedavedave said:
As of now I'm goin to Jeff... Where did u here about the Apr 14th student day? I havent received any info on that

i got an announcement about it in the mail a couple days ago. yours is probably on the way :)

I am most likely going to Jeff (99% sure). The new student day is April 14 & 15. Got the invite in the mail last week.

when are we supposed to get our fin. aid packages?

CalApplicant said:
I might be going to Jefferson this fall. So far it's the only place I've been accepted but I'm still on two other waitlists and praying for more interviews, although at this point I doubt I'll get anymore. Can someone tell me about Philadelphia and why it's such a great city? When I visited, I liked the school, the campus and the people but I didn't really like the city itself. I didn't feel safe and I thought the atmosphere was kinda gloomy in general. Thanks for any thoughts!
well, it depends on what you look for in a city. that area around jefferson is definitely safe so i wouldn't worry about that.. you're probably just not used to the east coast city feel.. as for gloominess, it's like other east coast cities; it often gets overcast in the winter.. however, the spring and fall are beautiful seasons here.. summer gets a little hot in the city, but the city clears out on the weekends b/c everyone goes to the shore... pm me if you have any specific questions.

Dr Turninkoff said:
when are we supposed to get our fin. aid packages?

There is a seminar on financial aid for new Jeff students next friday. I think it is for locals but you may want to check into it. When I interviewed the financial aid person said we should get a package from them in early January - I have not recieved anything to date.

notsittinpretty said:
I hope to be there with you guys next year!! I'm currently high priority waitlisted...anyone know how many people they accept who are in a similar position. Congratulations on your acceptance.

I was originally placed on the high priority waitlist at jeff in the middle of december. It was one of my top choices so I e-mailed dr. callahan in the middle of january and asked her what I could do to improve my application and she called me two days and offered me a spot! i've heard that everyone gets off the high priority waitlist originally, so keep calling/emailing them!

vcatz said:
There is a seminar on financial aid for new Jeff students next friday. I think it is for locals but you may want to check into it. When I interviewed the financial aid person said we should get a package from them in early January - I have not recieved anything to date.

do u know where we can get more information on that financial aid seminar??

Members don't see this ad :)
yay! i've been waiting for this thread to pop up ...
as far as some of the above questions,
philly is a fabulous city b/c, like jefferson, it has a great population of truly friendly low key awesome people. it's the best of both worlds b/c it has the culture and fun of a city and the comfortable feel of home. it's a city with a lot of heart and tradition. the weather isn't as harsh as a lot of east coast cities more north, but we do experience all seasons fully unlike some more southern east coast cities. (and hey if you like that stuff we're in the middle of it all and you can just take a drive to visit or hop on the train.) the city is also very beautiful with its mix of modern skyscrapers and super old homes and parks. plus there's the natural beauty of fairmount park and river drive, etc. and then there's the food! ... i could go on ....
if you're on the waitlist i recommend contacting dr. callahan asap letting her know of your sincere interest in jefferson. feel free to pm for any specifics.
as far as other philly schools, esp temple, jeff first just has a better location. i don't have much experience with temple so i can't say too much else about it, but jeff has a better reputation as well. on the downside jeff also costs more than temple and penn st if youre instate. ... but you're gonna be in debt anyway.
so who is going to the april reception, and what do you think is appropriate attire?

I'm so glad to see everyone so interested!! Maybe you'll be my classmates next year! :D

aingeal said:
yay! i've been waiting for this thread to pop up ...
as far as some of the above questions,
philly is a fabulous city b/c, like jefferson, it has a great population of truly friendly low key awesome people. it's the best of both worlds b/c it has the culture and fun of a city and the comfortable feel of home. it's a city with a lot of heart and tradition. the weather isn't as harsh as a lot of east coast cities more north, but we do experience all seasons fully unlike some more southern east coast cities. (and hey if you like that stuff we're in the middle of it all and you can just take a drive to visit or hop on the train.) the city is also very beautiful with its mix of modern skyscrapers and super old homes and parks. plus there's the natural beauty of fairmount park and river drive, etc. and then there's the food! ... i could go on ....
if you're on the waitlist i recommend contacting dr. callahan asap letting her know of your sincere interest in jefferson. feel free to pm for any specifics.
as far as other philly schools, esp temple, jeff first just has a better location. i don't have much experience with temple so i can't say too much else about it, but jeff has a better reputation as well. on the downside jeff also costs more than temple and penn st if youre instate. ... but you're gonna be in debt anyway.
so who is going to the april reception, and what do you think is appropriate attire?

you sound like a jeff spokeswoman... tho id probbaly have to say that having 4 seasons isnt all that great... i'd take westcoast weather any day

hahaha, sorry if i got a little over-excited. but i do have a lot of great things to come home to in philly.

i just sent in my card.. who else is going to the students day? i hope alot of people show up to the event...

davedavedave said:
i just sent in my card.. who else is going to the students day? i hope alot of people show up to the event...

i'll be there...the card came to my house so i haven't had a chance to see it yet but does anyone know whether there's student hosting that thursday night?

BubbleWand1 said:
i'll be there...the card came to my house so i haven't had a chance to see it yet but does anyone know whether there's student hosting that thursday night?

I'll be going I'm sure. Just have to clear the calendar :p I havent gotten a chance to see the invite yet because it also went to my house. However I believe I was told that there is hosting that night because it is an overnight event. Not totally sure though. Hope to see you all there!! :D

BubbleWand1 said:

the card says, "A student host list will be sent via email once we receive your response" RSVP by March 18.

I'm so excited! Just got my acceptance yesterday. I love Dr. Callahan!!! I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up there next year :)

Checking in...may see some of you soon...

hi guys. got the call today and I'm still freakin out. I'm definitely looking forward to meeting the Jefferson Class of 2009. Still waiting on Northwestern and Vandy but I'm pretty sure I'm coming to Jefferson :D

Ahhh got the call today too and I'm in. Dr. Callahan is the best she is soo nice and I love love the school.

Most definately going unless I hear something back from AECOM.

I know this is cheesy but I really feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.

I was in limbo hell 2 waitlisted and waiting on everything else until now . . .yeah!! :p :p

Props to Jefferson for being soo fast in their admission decision process.

Congratulations maryanne and hooniedee! I'm happy for you guys! How quick was your turnaround time? I interviewed last week, and would be so happy to attend.

Thanks!

nycmed8 said:
Congratulations maryanne and hooniedee! I'm happy for you guys! How quick was your turnaround time? I interviewed last week, and would be so happy to attend.

Thanks!

If accepted you should probably hear by oh...today :) I interviewed 2 weeks ago and heard back last week...they are super fast, I love it!

haha thanks Nittany.... I'll be hoping for the best! Congrats to you!

So where is everyone from? I've lived in PA all my life and I now attend school at a small liberal arts school in Allentown. Also, anyone know any good deals on apartments besides the on campus stuff?

On a personal note, I love how Jeff sends me mail and how many of the letters have a little msg written on it like "Welcome to the Jefferson Family." It makes me feel tinglely inside. hehe :D

afr0dite01 said:
So where is everyone from? I've lived in PA all my life and I now attend school at a small liberal arts school in Allentown. Also, anyone know any good deals on apartments besides the on campus stuff?

On a personal note, I love how Jeff sends me mail and how many of the letters have a little msg written on it like "Welcome to the Jefferson Family." It makes me feel tinglely inside. hehe :D

ive lived in pa my whole life too... i hear the best deals are the frats, dont know how hard it is to get into one tho

As of now, I think I am going to jefferson or maybe einstein. Its a debate. Which would you guys suggest? They are close in ranking on USNEWS but I like the big class size at jefferson and being at the heart of the city is nice too. Did you guys get the IT email with your email address and stuff? It got me really excited.

scotchtape said:
As of now, I think I am going to jefferson or maybe einstein. Its a debate. Which would you guys suggest? They are close in ranking on USNEWS but I like the big class size at jefferson and being at the heart of the city is nice too. Did you guys get the IT email with your email address and stuff? It got me really excited.

Well I just replied but the computer ate it and I have no motivation to retype the extensive message I just sent. So in short....I had a similar situation plus I also got into my state school. I am much more fond of the NE where I am from so its a cost vs location issue. But I ended up giving up my seat to Jeff (hope someone cool on this thread got it!) in favor of possibly AECOM. There were many reasons, which you can PM me if you would like to know what they are. I have a friend at both schools in their first 2 years. Good luck, but essentially it boils down to which school "fits" you better. Jeff has good clinical rep and great location in philly. AECOM has more research opportunities and a focus on serving a very underserved population and society (students created socialized med class).....ok so this is longer than I thought and I hope it does not get gobbled up again. Good luck, again PM me if you have more questions.

I got the finaid package yesterday but do you guys know when they will be sending out housing info?

Their website only lists avail apts and the price but doesn't really say the specifics like avail move in dates or roomate selection or etc...My lease ends 5/31 and I don't know if I should renew it or not. Do you think they'd let ppl move in June even if class begins in Aug?

To keep my options open I've started apt hunting but gosh Center City is a really $$$ place to live. I haven't even seen a one bedroom for under $900.

What are yall planning to do about housing? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

hooniedee said:
I got the finaid package yesterday but do you guys know when they will be sending out housing info?

Their website only lists avail apts and the price but doesn't really say the specifics like avail move in dates or roomate selection or etc...My lease ends 5/31 and I don't know if I should renew it or not. Do you think they'd let ppl move in June even if class begins in Aug?

To keep my options open I've started apt hunting but gosh Center City is a really $$$ place to live. I haven't even seen a one bedroom for under $900.

Philadelphia is one of the "cheaper" cities to live in. Boston and New York are even worse. I was paying 800 for my share of a 2BR in Boston, and 1240 for my share of a 3BR in New York. Philadelphia's low cost of living is one of the reasons I'm swaying towards Jefferson right now. A good place to look for off campus housing is Craig's List . Anyone know waht they're doing to do about the car situation in their third and fourth year? Since the Jeff health system is so large, I don't see how we're going to get down to Dupont Children's in DE for the rotation. I'm not a current car-owner, and I'm reluctant to take on more debt...

hooniedee said:

i already received a housing package

you could try an apt in overbrook or on the main line (merion, narberth, wynnewood, ardmore ...) close to the train, but i don't know how they compare price-wise
also in the city you could look into south philly, where i'm sure you could find one-bedrooms for cheaper than 900/mo

also, when is the $100 deposit due, 3/15? thanks

aingeal said:
i already received a housing package

you could try an apt in overbrook or on the main line (merion, narberth, wynnewood, ardmore ...) close to the train, but i don't know how they compare price-wise
also in the city you could look into south philly, where i'm sure you could find one-bedrooms for cheaper than 900/mo

also, when is the $100 deposit due, 3/15? thanks

I think the deposit is due may 15th. In terms of housing...I found a pretty cheap apartment complex (http://www.westminster-arch.com/) on 22nd and arch - about 10 blocks away from jeff...its a bit of a walk but the apartments are cheap in comparison to most places in center city (esp the 2 bedroom ones).

BubbleWand1 said:
I think the deposit is due may 15th. In terms of housing...I found a pretty cheap apartment complex (http://www.westminster-arch.com/) on 22nd and arch - about 10 blocks away from jeff...its a bit of a walk but the apartments are cheap in comparison to most places in center city (esp the 2 bedroom ones).

thanks.
i checked out that website and it looks like a nice place, except jeff has apts for the same price which are right across the street. any current students have insight on on-campus living? i heard mixed reviews but no specifics on my interview day. thanks again

Hi everyone!

I just thought I would add my name to the list! I am not 100% sure where I will end up yet (still waiting for some places) but am really excited about Jeff. I've spent the last 4 years in the area going to school and would like to stay :)

aingeal said:
thanks.
i checked out that website and it looks like a nice place, except jeff has apts for the same price which are right across the street. any current students have insight on on-campus living? i heard mixed reviews but no specifics on my interview day. thanks again

I was in Philly today so I stopped by the housing office to look at the on-campus apartments - I looked at a one-bedroom apartment in Orlowitz and a two-bedroom in Barringer - they are actually really nice. I'm more interested in the two bedroom: its fairly big - living room and kitchen in one but the kitchen has new equipment and a bar facing the living room, one bathroom, two bedrooms with nice closets - one bedroom is a little bigger and has a really big storage area off to the side, which i guess both ppl share. For the price and location, it seems worth it!

BubbleWand1 said:
I was in Philly today so I stopped by the housing office to look at the on-campus apartments - I looked at a one-bedroom apartment in Orlowitz and a two-bedroom in Barringer - they are actually really nice. I'm more interested in the two bedroom: its fairly big - living room and kitchen in one but the kitchen has new equipment and a bar facing the living room, one bathroom, two bedrooms with nice closets - one bedroom is a little bigger and has a really big storage area off to the side, which i guess both ppl share. For the price and location, it seems worth it!

that's good news, the photos in the housing package look good but i wasnt sure how accurate they were. i'll have to check it out in person when i get a chance.
also those appartments with the link on the previous page are by the schuylkill i think = further than 10 minute walk.
the only negative i heard about on campus is that internet is if-y at times and something about things not getting taken care of that a normal landlord would take care of ... but that was one persons opinion so i really hope to get more info at the reception in april

I just got the call from Dr. Callahan today, which was pretty surprising since I just interviewed last week. I really liked the school but am unsure about the cost vs. my state school. Anybody else feel the same way?

redruby said:
I just got the call from Dr. Callahan today, which was pretty surprising since I just interviewed last week. I really liked the school but am unsure about the cost vs. my state school. Anybody else feel the same way?

i'm in the exact same boat

BubbleWand1 said:

just wondering, what is the price for those?? I remember one of the students told me when I interviewed but I forgot. Oh and I'm most likely going to Jefferson next year too. Nice to meet u all. :D

The on campus housing fees for the three different buildings are listed here:

http://www.jefferson.edu/housing/fees.cfm

And does anyone know when is the earliest Jeff send out the finaid packages?

I've already done everything they've asked for: FAFSA, sent in mine and parents Tax Forms, the MPN, and the 3 online forms.

hooniedee said:
The on campus housing fees for the three different buildings are listed here:

http://www.jefferson.edu/housing/fees.cfm

And does anyone know when is the earliest Jeff send out the finaid packages?

I've already done everything they've asked for: FAFSA, sent in mine and parents Tax Forms, the MPN, and the 3 online forms.

hooniedee,

The office told me "early spring." Can't be more specific than that but it shouldn't be too long.

-Liz

Thanks Liz for the info :) but "early spring" seems pretty vague. I'm going to stop by Jeff tommorrow and check out the housing and nearby apt buildings and I'll see if finaid can give us a more definate answer.

I have an AECOM interview next wk that I would cancel if I could be sure that Jeff would give me a pretty decent finaid package. I have a friend who is an MS2 with a 1/2 tuition scholarship. That'd be sooo nice..

anyone know when the financial aid packet comes? I've been accepted 2 weeks ago, and I've gotten the second-look invitation as well as the schedule for the upcoming school year, but nothing else. I'm anxious to have my information in before they start doling out the scholarship packages.

lightnk102, I was accepted a couple of wks before you but I got the finaid package actually the same time give or take a day that the second look invite and schedule arrived.

It might just be a few days more to wait. . . otherwise it won't hurt to call.