for incoming PGY I's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMD

DrD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current recommendations for best/most useful/user-friendly pocket books and Palm/PDA software for Inpt. psych. and Medicine rotations? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Free stuff...

Epocrates-I'd use this over any drug formulary book. Its annoying carrying too many books.

Try to get a drug rep to get you a free DSM IV-TR handbook that you can carry in your pocket. I got the DSM on my palm pilot, but I prefer to keep the book on me. The way the palm version is done, you have to click and find info that is all on the same page in the book version. I find the book version more user friendly.

Most programs reccomend a Kaplan & Sadock. While I too reccomend it, I would try to wait & see if you could get one for free. This book is expensive and is often offered for free by drug reps. Why pay for it? Trust me, its not like your program will pimp you on the info in the book immediately. At least mine didn't.

Stuff to buy...
Psychiatry ON CALL. IT has pretty much every situation you'll need in Psychiatry down pat for you.

Most of the palm stuff I've tried--and I tried a heck of a lot of it, I didn't find helpful for psychiatry. Oh yeah it was useful for medicine, but not psychiatry.

Anyways, since you got to do a few months of medicine anyways...these palm programs I reccomend...

5 minute Medical consult for palm
5 minute ER consult
A to Z drugs

Members don't see this ad :)
whopper said:
Stuff to buy...
Psychiatry ON CALL. IT has pretty much every situation you'll need in Psychiatry down pat for you.

Is "Psychiatry ON CALL" the name of the program? Where can u buy it from, and how much does it cost?

Any other good suggestions for Palm/PDA software for inpatient psych rotations? thanks in advance.

Psychiatry On Call is $32.95 well spent. It's a book.

Very useful is that free mental status exam + scorer for the palm. I used it almost ever day in psychiatry. You use it while doing the MSE and it scores it while you click the check boxes. It's called MentSTAT, and it's free (I think). Here's the link.

Anasazi23 said:
Psychiatry On Call is $32.95 well spent. It's a book.

Very useful is that free mental status exam + scorer for the palm. I used it almost ever day in psychiatry. You use it while doing the MSE and it scores it while you click the check boxes. It's called MentSTAT, and it's free (I think). Here's the link.

thanks for the link!