For non-trads, is a LizzyM score based on postbac GPA more predictive than one based on your overall GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_diggity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I got a 3.52 overall GPA in my undergrad but am maintaining around a 3.9 in my postbac. However, if I extrapolate out to my future grades, the best I end up with is a 3.64 and the worst is about a 3.61 or 3.60 at the end of the postbac. Will the adcoms weigh that strong postbac performance much higher than the comparatively weaker undergrad? Should I consider my chances to be more in line with a LizzyM somewhere between 3.63 and 3.9, say a 3.75 GPA? Just trying to get a realistic sense of my chances. Obviously haven't taken the MCAT yet so I might be getting ahead of myself, but just wondering.

My sGPA will be around a 3.9 as well.

I'll also add that I graduated undergrad about 6 years ago.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't focus on it at all.

It's not an official metric used by anyone. It's just a crude index combining GPA and MCAT that has very little relevance for a reinventor non-trad such as yourself.

Schools that value reinvention will focus on your recent coursework, and you'll be fine, without reference to a LM score, assuming your MCAT is where it needs to be. Other schools will not get past your 3.5 cGPA and will not care about your 3.9 post-bacc. Of course, you might be fine, even at those schools, if you knock the MCAT out of the park and/or have other attractive attributes in your application, based on what you have been doing for the past 6 years. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! I got a 3.52 overall GPA in my undergrad but am maintaining around a 3.9 in my postbac. However, if I extrapolate out to my future grades, the best I end up with is a 3.64 and the worst is about a 3.61 or 3.60 at the end of the postbac. Will the adcoms weigh that strong postbac performance much higher than the comparatively weaker undergrad? Should I consider my chances to be more in line with a LizzyM somewhere between 3.63 and 3.9, say a 3.75 GPA? Just trying to get a realistic sense of my chances. Obviously haven't taken the MCAT yet so I might be getting ahead of myself, but just wondering.

My sGPA will be around a 3.9 as well.

I'll also add that I graduated undergrad about 6 years ago.

Thank you!
To a degree, as there are MD schools that do not reward reinvention.

Be conservative and use your total GPA (undergrad plus post-bac). You could also seek out the average sGPA of the schools you are intererested in and substitute that figure for total GPA in determining what the schools' LizzyM score is and compare those scores to your LizzyM score substituting sGPA for regular GPA.

I also strongly urge you to use WARS rather than LizzyM in making your list of schools.