"For Office Use" Prescription

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CgaPharm2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do physicians order the medications they need in-stock for office use? Is it valid to just write out a prescription that says "for office use"? Or can they only order with an invoice from the distributor or manufacturer.

When I googled this question, I found on NABP website that prescription "for office use" in Vermont is not valid. But I'm wondering if this law applies to other states as well?

Members don't see this ad.

How do physicians order the medications they need in-stock for office use? Is it valid to just write out a prescription that says "for office use"? Or can they only order with an invoice from the distributor or manufacturer.

When I googled this question, I found on NABP website that prescription "for office use" in Vermont is not valid. But I'm wondering if this law applies to other states as well?
What about "office compounding" in Florida? Here is the board rule:

.(3) Office use compounding, "Office use" means the provision and administration of a compounded drug to a patient by a practitioner in the practitioner's office or by the practitioner in a health care facility or treatment setting, including a hospital, ambulatory surgical center, or pharmacy. A pharmacist may dispense and deliver a quantity of a compounded drug to a practitioner for office use by the practitioner in accordance with this section provided:.
.(a) The quantity of compounded drug does not exceed the amount a practitioner anticipates may be used in the practitioner's office before the expiration date of the drug;.
.(b) The quantity of compounded drug is reasonable considering the intended use of the compounded drug and the nature of the practitioner's practice;.
.(c) The quantity of compounded drug for any practitioner and all practitioners as a whole, is not greater than an amount the pharmacy is capable of compounding in compliance with pharmaceutical standards for identity, strength, quality, and purity of the compounded drug that are consistent with United States Pharmacopoeia guidelines and accreditation practices..
.Specific Authority 465.005 FS. Law Implemented 465.003(12), 465.0155, 465.0265 FS. History–New 10-1-92, Formerly 21S-27.700, 61F10-27.700, 59X-27.700, Amended 11-2-03, 10-7-08.

Yet, the above FL rule is in direct conflict with the Federal Law, which states that

"A pharmacist may compound controlled substances for "office use" as long as the product:

-is compounded as an aqueous, oleaginous or solid dosage form
-does not contain more than 20% controlled substance
-is only distributed to a practitioner who is authorized to dispense"

Reiss and Hall, p. 174

Which of these takes precedence?

for C-II it's a 222
for anything else c-III to c-v, i think an invoice to pharmacy or wholesaler or whoever will suffice, unless your state is stricter