For people who've done research...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anansaid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
h

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I have published 2 different manuscripts (and 4 abstracts) in well-respected journals (like Cancer Research). I did include this on my primary AMCAS application, but do you think I should also send the schools I applied to copies of both of those papers I published? I'm a bit scared some schools will overlook this on my application, but I feel it will be a big factor in my admission to a MD program.:confused: :confused: :confused:

While I wouldn't send the entire papers, the abstract portions of each may be appropriate. But you shouldn't worry too much, your hard work and productivity will not be overlooked especially at the research oriented schools.

Save yourself a few bucks. Bring the reprints with you and offer then to the admissions officer who interviews you "open file" and ask that the reprints be, "added to your file".

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools say you can send any supplemental items, and I think an abstract, or even a whole paper if you feel it is vital to your application, would be appropriate. Other schools say to please not send any supplemental items. If in doubt, check with the school's admissions office.

Hi guys,

I have published 2 different manuscripts (and 4 abstracts) in well-respected journals (like Cancer Research). I did include this on my primary AMCAS application, but do you think I should also send the schools I applied to copies of both of those papers I published? I'm a bit scared some schools will overlook this on my application, but I feel it will be a big factor in my admission to a MD program.:confused: :confused: :confused:

If u do dat , it will tip them off that u faked it thru ur research just to get in and that u are eager to send it to them just like the way empty vessels do.

I was in your same boat a couple years ago. I had a few papers along with conference abstracts when I graduated from college. I sent each med school admin office a letter stating the full citations of my papers and conf absts. I attached the reprints of the papers (did not submit conf absts). Seemed like a good idea at the time and it must have worked. Good luck!

--MSII
Indiana University School of Medicine

Huh, with a 6 page article, I think that will fill the entire sky of a county, let alone some medical school campus. Can you please clarify as how one can do this???

No, seriously, I know that publishing can be pretty important, and I worked like crazy in the lab doing the research for those publications. But I dont want to come across as hard-pressed. I still dont know.

For others who published and are submitting their applications, are you submitting your articles you co-authored?

I wasn't planning on doing that, but I am going to bring copies to my interviews...I don't see why adcoms would spend time reading the articles. They can look them up on pubmed if they were THAT interested.

I was in your same boat a couple years ago. I had a few papers along with conference abstracts when I graduated from college. I sent each med school admin office a letter stating the full citations of my papers and conf absts. I attached the reprints of the papers (did not submit conf absts). Seemed like a good idea at the time and it must have worked. Good luck!

--MSII
Indiana University School of Medicine

I already included the citations of both the manuscripts and all the abstracts on my primary AMCAS application, but its kind of jarbled in there with the rest of my "15 activities," so I doubt it will stand out prominently. If I was to follow in your footsteps, should I go ahead and just send out reprints of the articles to all the medical schools I applied to, even though they didnt ask for supplemental material? Thanks in advance.

i haven't sent mine in, but i've been thinking about it... although i remember a couple of schools that specifically say not to forward copies of your papers. i think i'm going to just have a copy for my interviews just in case

Don't take your papers or send them in or hand them to the interviewer. Especially if you're not first author. Seriously. If you are applying MD/PhD, you should know your data well enough to convey it to the interviewer if asked. That shows that you communicate well and that you know your research. Sending in papers or abstracts does not. If you're MD/PhD, this is covered in your essays and go ahead and send updates. If you are a published MD applicant, list the citation and maybe 15 words describing your contribution to the study. That'll give your interviewer something to ask you about. If you are first author, just write an abstract of your abstract... like 50 words. If the interviewer is especially interested in what you're working on, sure, go ahead and send him/her a reprint as part of your Thank-you. If you want to send an update letter to schools, it's totally ok to submit a blurb about a manuscript in progress, a manuscript in review, and a manuscript in publication as well as those already published. But, know your data. Good luck. :cool: PM if you have any questions.

i don't think you should mail them reprints of your publications. if they didn't believe that you were an author on those papers, they could go to pubmed and check. i'm sure med schools don't care about having proof of your articles, let alone reading them, but want to hear you speak about it and see your knowledge and passion for research in that.

that being said, bringing the reprints to the interview and offering them to your interviewer should be ok.

Don't take your papers or send them in or hand them to the interviewer.

Many applicants do bring reprints to the interview and ask to have them added to the file. It does help bring the publications to the attention of the adcom when it is time to make final decisions. I've never seen it treated as a negative with regard to an applicant's chances of admission. If anything it reflects well on the applicant.

This is my experience of 5+ years on an adcom.

sorry- was very very late when i wrote. yeah, i guess it couldn't hurt the file and there are ways to be tactful about it! point taken.

Hi guys,

They won't miss it, they read through your experiences, and this will pop out. Some secondaries even ask you for research citations.

That said, I took up most of my 15 activities talking about research, very little chance they'd miss it.... I did little else in college :(

I listed research papers and abstracts on AMCAS and secondaries when they asked, but I'm only bringing the one with first-author to interviews. I think it'll help emphasize the explanation when you have graphs and pictures. Besides, it'll make for a better conversation if we can get to the point of discussing the work rather than me just rambling on about what i did.

Many applicants do bring reprints to the interview and ask to have them added to the file. It does help bring the publications to the attention of the adcom when it is time to make final decisions. I've never seen it treated as a negative with regard to an applicant's chances of admission. If anything it reflects well on the applicant.

This is my experience of 5+ years on an adcom.

Sounds right to me, adcoms like lots of information.