For PGY-2, how much does GPA matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScriptPROse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current PGY-1 resident planning on applying for PGY-2. I noticed most programs require pharmacy school GPA and transcripts.

I did not receive many interview invitations while applying to PGY-1, which I attribute to my not-so-great GPA (~3.5). I knew that my GPA was not good, so I applied to mostly small community hospitals and only a few big, competitive ones. Still, I got turned down by 70% of the places I applied to. Thus, seeing that PGY-2 programs want GPAs again is really concerning to me.

How much does pharmacy school GPA/transcript matter for PGY-2? Are the programs using this as a fast way to eliminate candidates?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I am not in a position to answer this question, I would like to ask why it matters at this point? Your GPA is what it is. I would spend more time perfecting your CV (having it reviewed by ASHP/colleagues) and perfecting your interviewing skills. Focus on what you can improve, forget what you cannot.

Reactions: 1 users
it doesn't matter- how you articulate yourself and the interest you express in the PGY2 specialty and the LOR's from your PGY1 preceptors who are in that specialty who can attest to your skill and affinity/interest matter more. Behind this I would say would be connections between your PGY1 RPD/preceptors and the PGY2 RPD, then the reputation/name of your PGY1 and the hospital in which you completed it.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current PGY-1 resident planning on applying for PGY-2. I noticed most programs require pharmacy school GPA and transcripts.

I did not receive many interview invitations while applying to PGY-1, which I attribute to my not-so-great GPA (~3.5). I knew that my GPA was not good, so I applied to mostly small community hospitals and only a few big, competitive ones. Still, I got turned down by 70% of the places I applied to. Thus, seeing that PGY-2 programs want GPAs again is really concerning to me.

How much does pharmacy school GPA/transcript matter for PGY-2? Are the programs using this as a fast way to eliminate candidates?

I got asked about my GPA at an interview!

I got asked about my GPA at an interview!

Wow thats crazy! I ended up not having been asked once about it on any of my interviews. If you don't mind me asking, was your GPA normal or below 3? If you don't want to answer, I understand. I'm just curious

I'm on the RAC.

If your GPA is below 3.0, I notice.

If you're ranked 1 of xxx with a GPA of 3.98, I notice.

If you're in between it doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Letters of Rec, far and above everything else. Also can't understate how much engagement in the process can help marginal applicants. In the two PGY-2s I've been a part of, we've never cut anyone for GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on the RAC.

If your GPA is below 3.0, I notice.

If you're ranked 1 of xxx with a GPA of 3.98, I notice.

If you're in between it doesn't matter.
Also on RAC and I agree for the most part - we put a cut off of 3.2 - if you are under 3.5 I notice, if you are a 3.98 I notice. Although Awval - do you ever see the rankings?? I wish we did as a way of comparing GPA's across schools because some have more significant grade inflation.

Also on RAC and I agree for the most part - we put a cut off of 3.2 - if you are under 3.5 I notice, if you are a 3.98 I notice. Although Awval - do you ever see the rankings?? I wish we did as a way of comparing GPA's across schools because some have more significant grade inflation.

If they're applying PGY2 and submit updated transcripts (is this required?), you can probably see latin honors and sometimes rankings.

If they're applying PGY2 and submit updated transcripts (is this required?), you can probably see latin honors and sometimes rankings.
I have reviewed transcripts from probably 30+ schools and have seen rankings exactly once - and that was a foreign school. Latin rankings mean nothing thou - in my class the median GPA was 3.0, at a local school (a good one) it is 3.5