For prospective MD/PhD applicants...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vader

Dark Lord of the Sith
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've put together a guidebook for MD/PhD applicants based on my experiences and those of others. If I can help anyone get through the process with less pain than I did, I'll be eternally happy. You can find it at the following link:

<a href="http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~jcholfin/" target="_blank">http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~jcholfin/</a>

I haven't had time to really spiff up the site yet, but eventually I'll get to it and put it in a more easily read onscreen format. Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Or even some cool stories to contribute... :D

Members don't see this ad.

I've always had this question on my mind. If one were to pursue an MD and PhD independently (not from an MSTP program) does this carry less weight? I've been considering getting a PhD out of Berkeley (it's one of the best schools for Physical Chemistry) and an MD from somewhere else. Then go on to do some MRI stuff with all the quantum that I'll know. I'd be happy in an MSTP program too, so its just something to throw out there.

Thanks Vader! I will be starting the MD/PhD application process this year and appreciate any advice that I can get!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Vader! This is really helpful. A quick question if you have any info: do you know the average age of entering MD/PhD students?

Originally posted by imtiaz:
•I've always had this question on my mind. If one were to pursue an MD and PhD independently (not from an MSTP program) does this carry less weight? I've been considering getting a PhD out of Berkeley (it's one of the best schools for Physical Chemistry) and an MD from somewhere else. Then go on to do some MRI stuff with all the quantum that I'll know. I'd be happy in an MSTP program too, so its just something to throw out there.•••

MSTPs are generally regarded as the most prestigious MD/PhD programs. The advantages to a combined degree program are clear: 1) funding during the MD years, 2) overlap between the medical and graduate curricula, 3) integration of medicine and research, 4) decreased time to graduation, etc.

If you definitely have a strong interest in both medicine and basic research, then I'd recommend applying for MSTP programs as opposed to doing the MD and PhD separately. You might ask UCSF's MSTP if they'll let you do the PhD over at Berkeley. Such arrangements have been made in the past, I believe.

Hope this helps! :D

Originally posted by CoffeeCat:
•Thanks Vader! This is really helpful. A quick question if you have any info: do you know the average age of entering MD/PhD students?•••

Entering MD/PhD students tend to be on the younger side, recent graduates of college. I guess there is some self-selection for highly motivated individuals who have a good idea of their goals. Plus, programs take 7-8 years on average to graduate, so if you start at age 22, then you might get done by 30. If you then want to do a residency, this may take several additional years. Therefore, graduates from MD/PhD programs typically gain independence around their mid-thirties.

However, I also know several students who took one or two years after they graduated to do additional research (i.e. at the NIH), garner publications, and/or gain some real world experience. This can be valuable in the admissions process and contribute to scientific maturity.

Now social maturity is another matter entirely... :D

The problem here, my friend, is that with my statistics I could never get into a CA medical school ;( I just got rejected from the MSP, I feel like crap.

Originally posted by Vader:

If you definitely have a strong interest in both medicine and basic research, then I'd recommend applying for MSTP programs as opposed to doing the MD and PhD separately. You might ask UCSF's MSTP if they'll let you do the PhD over at Berkeley. Such arrangements have been made in the past, I believe.

Hope this helps! :D •••

Originally posted by imtiaz:
•The problem here, my friend, is that with my statistics I could never get into a CA medical school ;( I just got rejected from the MSP, I feel like crap.

•••

Sorry to hear that. :( If you feel your application isn't competitive for MSTP admissions, you could try going for the PhD and then medical school elsewhere like you suggested. Alternatively, you could try applying for medical school elsewhere first and then apply for the MD/PhD program once you are already there. I know people who have gone this route. It's really up to you--I really don't know your personal circumstances. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Here's an easier link to remember that you can use to access the site:

<a href="http://go.to/mdphd" target="_blank">http://go.to/mdphd</a>