Medic_9

People suck
10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ontario
Status
Veterinarian
I am heading to Dick Vet this fall and I currently live in Canada. There must be more people out there in similar situations.

At this point I am planning on paying a little extra for luggage when I fly over and then buy whatever else I need over there. Is anyone planning on doing the same or are you going to ship things by sea?

The biggest thing I would be buying would be a new desktop computer. Does anyone have any idea of prices over there or a link to a uk version of bestbuy?

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2010
Neither here nor there.
Status
Non-Student
I am heading to Dick Vet this fall and I currently live in Canada. There must be more people out there in similar situations.

At this point I am planning on paying a little extra for luggage when I fly over and then buy whatever else I need over there. Is anyone planning on doing the same or are you going to ship things by sea?

The biggest thing I would be buying would be a new desktop computer. Does anyone have any idea of prices over there or a link to a uk version of bestbuy?
When I went to live overseas I took the bare minimum with me and shipped the rest. Buying stuff once there is usually way more expensive than shipping stuff you already own.

Mar 6, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/index.html

I paid an overweight bag fee coming over the first time, and I brought so much stuff I have never used. It's amazing what you can/can't live without.

Medic_9

People suck
10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ontario
Status
Veterinarian
When I went to live overseas I took the bare minimum with me and shipped the rest. Buying stuff once there is usually way more expensive than shipping stuff you already own.
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you to ship and how much did you ship? How long did it take to get there?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/index.html

I paid an overweight bag fee coming over the first time, and I brought so much stuff I have never used. It's amazing what you can/can't live without.
What did you bring that you didn't use? I plan to go with minimum. Thanks for the link!

Jan 31, 2010
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
Be careful to comparison-shop thoroughly before buying your computer in the UK. A lot of computers from North American companies have their UK prices jacked way up by VAT and unfair price conversion (Apple is especially guilty of this), so you'd be better off buying it here and bringing it with you, even if you'd need to use an outlet adapter to hook it up.

I just peeked at Dell, and they seem to do it too. To pick a random desktop, the Inspiron 560s starts at 269 USD in North America, but 349 GBP in the UK.

So, in other words, I might recommend buying the electronics on this side of the pond and restocking your wardrobe on that side.

Mar 6, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you to ship and how much did you ship? How long did it take to get there?

What did you bring that you didn't use? I plan to go with minimum. Thanks for the link!
I brought a lot of clothes I never wear, a lot of three ring binders (UK paper is A4 and sticks out the top! Binders here are two rings usually. Just buy stationery here. the pound shops and bargain stores are brilliant for that.) Furnished flats tend to come with the random supply of kitchen utensils and dishes.

I figured out quickly that I can't live without my dvds. The UK is region 2 so my collection is a bit half and half now. Many players are multi-region. My old laptop would play both, but my new one wont. Very annoying. If you're a fan of TV shows, get good at torrenting, befriend a pirate, or acquire a taste for the Beeb. :) I did the latter and shall miss it greatly.

Mar 6, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
Oh also, there's no need to buy the wellies/coveralls/waterproofs/ etc. off the order form that comes with the admission/fresher's week pack. You can get them for about the same price from Hewat's or Miller's once you're here and be able to try them on and return them.

I got a figure 8 laptop cord with a british plug for 5 quid from a computer repair shop on Clerk Street. It's supposed to be better than just using an adaptor since it has a fuse in it.

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Beeb is the BBC- you'll have heard them sometimes on public radio. On tv they are responsible for both monty python and the office. You can find some of it in the states on BBC America channel, way to hell and gone on digital cable.

Torrents are illegal downloads of things that shouldn't be downloaded, like tv shows, books, and movies. Hulu isn't available overseas.

Regions is an eveil thing dreamt up by record, movie, and player companies. us is region 1, other places have other numbers. On the back of dvd cases there's usually a (tiny) picture of the world (rolled out map-style) with a number in it. Go ahead and check... That's the region code. DVD players (sometimes CD's too) can switch back and forth, but usually only a limited number of times (damn you, microsoft) before locking. If you use a desktop, just run two drives, it's easier. It's so they can ramp the price up in other countries.

-j.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
Yes, I am far more excited about Dr. Who than Grey's Anatomy. :p Regions ARE evil. As is locking out Hulu and some YouTube videos. One ironic loophole (shhhhhhhhhh) is you can keep your iTunes account set to the North American store (might only be because I kept it tied to my US bank account) and you can get TV shows that way (relatively legally) rent movies, etc. in dollars.

Off topic but also annoying is movies, especially big ones, are sometimes released later here than in North America. UP! didn't come out until October!

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status
also off topic- I'm not sure I like the new doctor. I want to do (probably illegal) things with/ to the last time lord, tho.

The UP! thing sucks. I was in NZ for the world wide release of one of the pirates movies. If I'd bothered to queue for tix I could have seen it almost a full 24 hours before the first showings in the US...

Medic_9

People suck
10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ontario
Status
Veterinarian
I brought a lot of clothes I never wear, a lot of three ring binders (UK paper is A4 and sticks out the top! Binders here are two rings usually. Just buy stationery here. the pound shops and bargain stores are brilliant for that.) Furnished flats tend to come with the random supply of kitchen utensils and dishes.

I figured out quickly that I can't live without my dvds. The UK is region 2 so my collection is a bit half and half now. Many players are multi-region. My old laptop would play both, but my new one wont. Very annoying. If you're a fan of TV shows, get good at torrenting, befriend a pirate, or acquire a taste for the Beeb. :) I did the latter and shall miss it greatly.
Whoa! Thanks for telling me about the paper. I had four flex binders that I was going to bring with me. I am already all set for TV watching. :cool: Thanks for the tips though.

Be careful to comparison-shop thoroughly before buying your computer in the UK. A lot of computers from North American companies have their UK prices jacked way up by VAT and unfair price conversion (Apple is especially guilty of this), so you'd be better off buying it here and bringing it with you, even if you'd need to use an outlet adapter to hook it up.

I just peeked at Dell, and they seem to do it too. To pick a random desktop, the Inspiron 560s starts at 269 USD in North America, but 349 GBP in the UK.

So, in other words, I might recommend buying the electronics on this side of the pond and restocking your wardrobe on that side.
Good to know. I was planning on bringing the tower with me and just buying a new monitor and printer.

Jan 31, 2010
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
Good to know. I was planning on bringing the tower with me and just buying a new monitor and printer.
That's probably a good idea - I doubt they mark those up as much.

As for the binder/paper thing, it sucks! Japan's the same way, too, and I bought these awesome snap binders that I absolutely loved while I was there, but when I came back, all the 8.5/11 paper handouts I got stuck out the sides :(

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Not heading overseas, but-

Actually, you should be able to pick up a new cord with the right plug end on it once you're over there. People lose them all the time and they're almost all compatible.. Laptop cord (the second half, anyway) might be a bit more of a hunt, but not much.
My mother's friend (who travels a lot to Europe) was saying something about how you should buy a computer over there because the wear and tear of using an adapter on your computer isn't good for it? How true is this? I've never heard of such a thing. I think I'm definitely going with a Lenovo X200 tablet. Anyone know if there is a Lenovo dealer nearby I can just get a power cord from? They're international, and in the UK. On their site, I can buy the same computer (but for more money). I figure, I can just switch them out when I need to, since I'll probably use the computer when I cross back to this side of the pond.

How expensive is it to restock my wardrobe on the other side of the pond? (I know I can't take everything with me.)

Haha! I'm ahead of the game! I've already began converting my DVD collection into iPod format about a year ago, and am almost done! (I don't have much, but I'm slow at it.) Yeah, the quality can be kinda crappy, but it'll play in any iTunes or on my iPod or iPhone! Good to know my idea wasn't so crazy after all. :)

Jan 31, 2010
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
My mother's friend (who travels a lot to Europe) was saying something about how you should buy a computer over there because the wear and tear of using an adapter on your computer isn't good for it? How true is this?
My fiancé is from Finland and bought his laptop while he was at home, and uses it with an adapter every day. No problems. He had bought his old laptop here and used it in Finland with an adapter every day as well. No problems there, either, so I wouldn't worry. Just get one with a fuse to avoid overloading.

How expensive is it to restock my wardrobe on the other side of the pond? (I know I can't take everything with me.)
I haven't been to the UK in a long time, but things are going to be more expensive there than they are here in general. Try to bring your favorites and then fill in the gaps with new clothes to save money (that's what I did when I went to Japan). I was really suggesting buying some clothes to make more space for the computer.

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status
I've never had a computer require a step-down converter. most computers (every one I've ever seen) is dual voltage. On towers theres a switch you can throw on the power supply (outside, on the back of the tower- by the traditional on off switch- by where the power cord plugs in) on mine it's red. on all of mine.

Laptops will have acceptable voltages on them somewhere. Either on the under side, or on the boxy part of the power cord (an ac-dc converter, I think...). as long as it says input 1xx-2xxV you're good on laptops.

wait, let me get a photo

make sense now?

(apologies in advance if this is too simple/ detailed. have been helping mother set up blog.)

-j.

Jan 14, 2010
Status
Yeah, from my understanding, the entire point of that "box" is that it's an AC adapter and can withstand any (reasonable) changes in voltage. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't wrong about how I thought they worked. Thanks! :) Hmm... Now to spend the money I don't have. =P

Nexx

2 weeks and counting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
Western Australia
Status
Veterinary Student
Yeah, just to point out...

If you are getting a laptop you don't have to worry much you can just buy a new cord to plug into the power brick (just ensure it does operate within the voltages used in the UK) -- this holds true for all your electrical equip that you are bringing over. If it doesn't have the correct voltage (or range of voltage) don't bother bringing it or you will have to buy a converter.

If you are bringing a desktop/tower there is a switch in the back of it that you will likely have to flip, near where you plug in the power plug. If you don't remember to switch it you are going to cost yourself a good chunk of money.

As a side note I might recc buying a laptop versus a desktop unless you are a gamer and need more than most cheap laptops can provide. Heck until I might even see if I could get away with a netbook if all I'm going to do is email, papers, and internet.

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
As a side note I might recc buying a laptop versus a desktop unless you are a gamer and need more than most cheap laptops can provide. Heck until I might even see if I could get away with a netbook if all I'm going to do is email, papers, and internet.
I agree with Nexx about the laptop. May I ask why you would want a desktop over a laptop anyways?? I feel like desktops are a huge hassle..and you will probably want to carry your comp with you to class or the library more than you would think. And come exam time...i doubt you will be able to find a comp in the lib available....just curious!

Medic_9

People suck
10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ontario
Status
Veterinarian
I agree with Nexx about the laptop. May I ask why you would want a desktop over a laptop anyways?? I feel like desktops are a huge hassle..and you will probably want to carry your comp with you to class or the library more than you would think. And come exam time...i doubt you will be able to find a comp in the lib available....just curious!
I have a netbook that will definately be coming with me. I just don't like using it for everything. I watch movies on my computer all the time while doing other things. It would also drive me nuts to only have the netbook to type papers on.

I didn't know there was a input power switch on the back of the tower, i'm going to check that out today.

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
I have a netbook that will definately be coming with me. I just don't like using it for everything. I watch movies on my computer all the time while doing other things. It would also drive me nuts to only have the netbook to type papers on.

Haha the beauty of vet school...not really any papers to write...but that makes sense about your comp.

Mar 6, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
Haha the beauty of vet school...not really any papers to write...but that makes sense about your comp.
not few enough, but so few I'm horribly out of practice. I'm currently in the Clive lab at Summerhall trying to crank out a written case report of only 1000 words, but I'm having a motivational crisis. :sleep:

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status
medic- does your netbook have a video out connection? if it does (not all do) you can dual-screen @home, plus USB mouse/ keyboard, and run small and lite when out and about. save you some space/ electric, anyway. If you have a true "netbook"- no optical drive, <12" screen, using a dock would even save you time connecting stuff. I have to actually unscrew my monitor when I want to take my laptop places.

running dual screens you can watch movies *and* do other stuff, all on the same computer, at the same time. you'd have to play with volume controls on things like skype, tho.

Medic_9

People suck
10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ontario
Status
Veterinarian
medic- does your netbook have a video out connection? if it does (not all do) you can dual-screen @home, plus USB mouse/ keyboard, and run small and lite when out and about. save you some space/ electric, anyway. If you have a true "netbook"- no optical drive, <12" screen, using a dock would even save you time connecting stuff. I have to actually unscrew my monitor when I want to take my laptop places.

running dual screens you can watch movies *and* do other stuff, all on the same computer, at the same time. you'd have to play with volume controls on things like skype, tho.
It's an EeePC. It's a true netbook. It wouldn't have the computing power to do a bunch of stuff at once.

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
It's an EeePC. It's a true netbook. It wouldn't have the computing power to do a bunch of stuff at once.

I <3 my eeePC.

Mine's blue and pretty :)

I think I might have to upgrade it (or downgrade, depending on how you look at it) to Windows. I just can't get the hang of it the way it is, and there are a few little programs I'd like to be able to run.

Medic_9

People suck
10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ontario
Status
Veterinarian
I <3 my eeePC.

Mine's blue and pretty :)

I think I might have to upgrade it (or downgrade, depending on how you look at it) to Windows. I just can't get the hang of it the way it is, and there are a few little programs I'd like to be able to run.
What do you have now? Linux? My came with Windows XP. I also added more RAM right when I got it. Mines blue too. :)

What programs did you want to run?

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
What do you have now? Linux? My came with Windows XP. I also added more RAM right when I got it. Mines blue too. :)

What programs did you want to run?

Yeah, but it's not real Linux, it's some mini knock-off kind lol. Xandros? I think.

Would love to be able to run a couple simple little games and I stuff. I pretty much only use it when I need something light, and generally, I end up being bored lol. I just cant figure out how to install anything, and believe me, I'm no idiot when it comes to computers usually. It's all beyond me on that litlte thing though. And either OpenOffice or Word. I hate the processor that it came with.

I upgraded mine as well, and added a 12gb (I think) SD card, so I've got a bit of space on it.

And my main pet peeve-- everytime you want to go on the internet, you have to physical reconnect to the network by opening up the connections window and selecting it. It doesn't do it automatically. And it will time out after a period of inactivity, so you have to connect all over again.

Medic_9

People suck
10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ontario
Status
Veterinarian
Yeah, but it's not real Linux, it's some mini knock-off kind lol. Xandros? I think.

Would love to be able to run a couple simple little games and I stuff. I pretty much only use it when I need something light, and generally, I end up being bored lol. I just cant figure out how to install anything, and believe me, I'm no idiot when it comes to computers usually. It's all beyond me on that litlte thing though. And either OpenOffice or Word. I hate the processor that it came with.

I upgraded mine as well, and added a 12gb (I think) SD card, so I've got a bit of space on it.

And my main pet peeve-- everytime you want to go on the internet, you have to physical reconnect to the network by opening up the connections window and selecting it. It doesn't do it automatically. And it will time out after a period of inactivity, so you have to connect all over again.
That does sound annoying. Good luck with the upgrade/downgrade (change grade?). I just bought mine last year, when did you get yours?

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status
those *would* need a converter, though some flats have a 110 outlet in the bathroom for shavers and stuff. But smaller items don't do so good on converters and are more likely to fry. Probably better off to just buy them there- or do without.

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
what about stuff like blow dryers and flat irons?? is it practical to take them with you and get adapters or just buy new ones over there? is bedding provided in most furnished flats or do you still need to provide your own? thanks in advance for the help!
I would buy them here...they tend to burn out even with the converter..places like boots have them for cheap too.

In a private flat, you would probably have to get a duvet and pillows /sheets here. My flat came with the bed + matress, a desk, a closet, and a dresser in the bedroom. I bought a cheap desk chair from Staples, but Argos is another good place to order a lot of things!!!

Honestly, the best advice I can give....Try to only bring things you absolutely need. If you are going to be here for 4/5 years, it works out to buy most things here, rather than trying to stuff it all in with you or pay crazy amounts to have it shipped!! Plus, the UK really DOES have almost everything we have at home, and upper students can give you advice of where to get the best deals and get things. Don't bring huge sam's club versions of your favorite shampoo or 5 tubes of colgate toothpaste...it's all here!! Save that space for clothes!!!!

Medic_9

People suck
10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ontario
Status
Veterinarian
what about stuff like blow dryers and flat irons?? is it practical to take them with you and get adapters or just buy new ones over there? is bedding provided in most furnished flats or do you still need to provide your own? thanks in advance for the help!
I think I would be leary to have bedding provided...ewwww!

Here's a strange question. Can I get converters/adapters for 220>110 over there or do I have to bring what I think I need?

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian

Here's a strange question. Can I get converters/adapters for 220>110 over there or do I have to bring what I think I need?
I brought 2 adapters and 1 converter, and that seems to be enough.

Nexx

2 weeks and counting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
Western Australia
Status
Veterinary Student
Most quality electronic items will only need an adapter to run. That is, their electrical rating has listed 110-240v (and whatever the amp range is). If it doesn't have those ranges listed you need to get a converter (which are usually at least $100-ish I recall).

Usually the items that need a converter are those without a large bulky plug and usually end up being bathroom items (shavers, hair dryers, irons, etc)

I got away with a single adapter for 3 years and that worked with computer, camera, mobile phones and some random other bits that I can't recall atm.

Mar 6, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
buy new if you have to, but the twin sheets I brought over are too big for my single bed here. So if you're obsessive about square corners, buy those here too. ;)

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
Shrug...I just bought a cheap phone over here and went onto the Orange Dolphin plan..I top up whenever I need to. Some people who are addicted to the crackberry feel like they can't live without it, but when all you do is a few phone calls and a lot of texts on it, I don't really need all the extra stuff...My flat has a landline through Tiscali, and you can call the states for free...plus there is always Skype

flyhi

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Shrug...I just bought a cheap phone over here and went onto the Orange Dolphin plan..I top up whenever I need to. Some people who are addicted to the crackberry feel like they can't live without it, but when all you do is a few phone calls and a lot of texts on it, I don't really need all the extra stuff...My flat has a landline through Tiscali, and you can call the states for free...plus there is always Skype
US for free?!?!?!?! Wha? Seriously? Do tell.

Can you text anyone anywhere (US) on plans without being charged internationally? Not sure if texts are different from airtime for a phone call.

Nexx

2 weeks and counting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
Western Australia
Status
Veterinary Student
Check around on the English mobile phone websites. Three, vodafone, and orange, and virgin mobile all come to mind.

Here in Australia phones and plans end up (for the most part) cheaper than in the states -- particularly if you don't go for the latest and greatest. Even then sometimes it works out cheaper.

I have a 16gb iphone on a 2 year contract (ends soon) for which I pay $80/month and that includes insurance, $500 in call credit, 1gb internet, and the $5/mo phone payment. With my call credit I get a large chunk of international calling and haven't hit my limit yet.

That is a "cap" plan over here where I am on a monthly contract. The other usual option (which worked out even cheaper on one carrier) was a prepaid plan. I was getting by on $40-$50/mo and making some loooong international calls.

$80 is still cheaper than I would be paying back home at the time I signed the contract and $40 is even cheaper still :p

If you do decide to bring a phone with you, make sure it is advertised as a "world phone" and runs on the different bands. You can probably forget any phone that doesn't run off a sim card.

SoBeVet

Edinburgh 2015!
Dec 17, 2009
Miami, FL
Status
Veterinary Student
My blackberry says World phone on it whenever I turn it on/off which is why I brought up the subject about cell phones. I know for iphone you need to get that "unlocked" since the SIM card is pretty much stuck in there if I can recall correctly. Not sure if the blackberry comes "locked." If it did, I don't think it would be called world phone? I dunno. Obviously I need to do my hw on cell phones. I'm not addicted to my blackberry (I have my iTouch for that addiction:p) but I heavily use the blackberry messenger, which is free to other blackberry users, to keep in contact with my SO back in the States.

Jan 14, 2010
Status
I'm trying to figure out cell phone stuff too. I have an iPhone (with AT&T, obviously). However, I just signed up with them this past June when the 3GS came out. Through Orange, I think it's cheaper to terminate my contract and get on a plan over there. Gettign the international plan from AT&T is out of the question. It is SO expensive.

I can't live without my iPhone (checking mail, using the internet, etc.). Plus, there is a text+ app that will let me text my fiancée for free. That will definitely come in handy since he still has to finish up his undergraduate degree. I'm not sure which Orange plan I'd do since there are like 5 different ones.

What is the "topping up" thing that's mentioned on the site?

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
US for free?!?!?!?! Wha? Seriously? Do tell.

Can you text anyone anywhere (US) on plans without being charged internationally? Not sure if texts are different from airtime for a phone call.
We pay around 25 quid a month total and can call the states for free for one hour. Then you hang up at the hour mark and call again, and it is free!!! Woohooo freeee

As for you blackberry people....A lot of these cell phone companies like orange and vodaphone have great deals if you get a contract with them...ie you get the blackberry for free if you sign a contract for 24 months etcetc...just another option!!!

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status
"topping up" is buying another batch of minutes- usually in set denominations- 5, 10, 20 dollars/ euro/ pounds. You just walk in to just about any convenience store or grocery, or tourist shop and say "i need a (company) top up" and they grab a slip they printed up earlier and sell it to you. you put the code in your phone and away you go.

pre-paid stuff, basically. uk might use cards for top ups, but I can't see why...

-j.

Nexx

2 weeks and counting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
Western Australia
Status
Veterinary Student
If you have a blackberry it likely will operate wherever so if you want to save some money bring it with you.

To get it 'unlocked' generally you just need to have been under contract for at least a couple months. Then you just call up customer service and ask them if you can get your phone unlocked as you are moving overseas soon and want to take the phone with you to use on a service over there.

They shouldn't have any issue, although they may charge a small fee to unlock it.

Also, for those of you with an iphone I did a quick search and while at&t may not unlock your iphone, bring your phone with you overseas... it seems many overseas carriers will unlock the phone for you. At&t has their reasons for not unlocking it (I don't agree with them and frankly don't see how it's legal for them to do that...but whatever).