For summer: job or research?

Started by st3ady
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

st3ady

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I would like some advice please. Should I work as a camp counselor this summer or try and get a research position? The camp is a "cyber-camp" where I would be teaching teens how to do 3d computer video game modeling and modding. It would be decent pay to help get me out of debt and would also be good for leadership on my resume. After work in the evening I would study for the MCAT and plan on taking it at the end of August or maybe even later. I got a call from a rep from a med school saying that research is a good idea, should I try and do it this summer instead or try and leave it for the fall? I would like to apply to some medschools in the Caribbean for the Winter start dates, or maybe hold out and apply to some US schools the next year depending on how I score on the MCAT.

Is research better than a leadership experience?

Thanks! 🙂
 
I spoke to our dean about this very question. He is a general surgeon that specializes in oncology and was the interim director for the local general surgery residency for about a year while the residency program was looking for a replacement. He said in the long run, research during the summer wouldn't matter and that the money will be a definite help.
 
big thanks jarhead! and tell your dean thanks too 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes I have heard similar things, research is important if you wish to apply to a research school such as Johns Hopkins or Duke, but other than that I know working and gaining leadership experience is very important at every school you apply to and of course making money is always a plus🙂
 
Yes I have heard similar things, research is important if you wish to apply to a research school such as Johns Hopkins or Duke, but other than that I know working and gaining leadership experience is very important at every school you apply to and of course making money is always a plus🙂


But won't the research show academic involvement and set you out as a more special applicant, even for just MD programs (non-PhD)?

I'm trying to get as much research as possible and get as much published work as I can while I'm still in psych, I can't really do anything research with hard science since I don't have even part of the pre-reqs finished.

I'll volunteer this summer and shadow and whatnot, but I figure research will set me apart and research does require leadership, organization, and other necessary skills.
 
OP - I think your question depends on the rest of your app and what schools you are going to apply to.

Since you stated you are thinking of applying to some carib schools, I'm going to assume that there are some things in your application that are below average. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If this is the case, then I'd do whatever you can to boost your app. Research experience is one of those things.

Give some more details about your current stats if you want more advice.
 
Sure thing gman33:

Graduated in 05' as with a degree in General Business from UMD, GPA 3.0. 🙁
Currently finishing up an informal post-bac and my current GPA is 3.87, hopefully will have 3 more As by the end of May. I have almost 175 hours as an ER volunteer, and about 25 of shadowing. Worked as a Business Systems analyst for a year in between graduating and the post-bac. My practice MCAT scores have been quite low, so I plan on putting it off until late summer so I can study my Kaplan materials more. I figure I'll try to do some research in the fall, and maybe take Genetics/Biochem.

Also, I have the option to apply as "Lead Instructor" which entails sleeping at the camp, and only having some free time on Saturday. While it could be a major blow to my social life for the summer, that extra word 'lead' would probably be huge for the resume. Would you rather go out at night with your friends during the week, maybe go swimming, and have some more time to study MCAT, or be a complete slave to the job for some extra money and resume building? What thinks you? 😛

Appreciate the help guys!
 
What's your current overall GPA?

With a decent MCAT, you should be a good candidate for DO schools. Maybe a shot at a few MD schools.

I'd take the job the leaves you with the most time to study for the MCAT. Maybe no job at all for the summer if you can afford it. Make getting a good MCAT your #1 priority.

I would hold off on the carib schools until you at least give US schools a chance for 1 or 2 cycles.
 
OP, if you didn't already have "better" plans for this summer, I'd say, sure, go ahead and try doing some research because you might like it. But it sounds like you really want to do this camp job. If that's the case, then I think you should do it. Research is *not* required of premeds unless you are applying for MD/PhD or research MD programs (five year research MD programs). People still get into research-intensive schools even with no research experience; most if not all of these schools value clinical and other experiences highly as well.

FWIW, I agree with gman that you should apply stateside, at least to your state schools and to DO schools (assuming you score 27+ on your MCAT), unless you just really want to move to the Caribbean for some reason. But, and this is key, do *not* take the real MCAT until you are consistently scoring in that range on your practice tests. It's better to wait a cycle and get a good score rather than have a bad score to overcome because you took the test before you were ready. Best of :luck: to you.