for the love of God, Am I taking the easy way out??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qualityhealth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1st year my cum. GPA was 3.5.
That summer took Bio 1+2 and got a B+, and C+ respectively
2nd year-
Fall- I dropped out because I was ridiculously sick and needed medical attention, thus I got all Ws in the classes I was taking
Spring took an English class, (for my major) a history class, and Chem, and ended up dropping chem.

3rd year (which is now)
Taking chem I , physics I, and another English class. I’m not feeling very confident about chem. Right now so I might drop it and take an introductory chem. 1 course, and take the real general Chem I in the spring of ’08 and then take Chem II and the lab in the summer.

Soooooo…that means 2 summers ago, I took I medschool prereq, and this coming summer I might take Chem II and the lab.

Is it bad that I took 1.5 of science med school prereqs in the summer? (bio I and II, and Chem II)

If I do take the introductory course for chem. Then that’ll put me at 11.5 credits, .5 credits away from being a full time student.

Sorry this was soooooo long, I’m just reallyreallyreally confused out of my mind right now, bc I don’t want my GPA to suffer. I just need this semester to get back into the groove of things

Members don't see this ad.

NO i dn't think it's bad that you took "1.5" pre-reqs in summer. Summer classes are respectively harder for the simple fact that they're a lot less shorter thus needing to cover vast amounts of material within a short period of time (About 8 weeks to be exact, compared to 4.5 months in reg semesters)

As long as you keep up the good work and don't get another C (even if it's a +) in ANY more pre-reqs then that C should be overshadowed.

There's a slight chance BTW that you might need to explain why you received a C+ on a pre-req to adcomm's but as long as you "respectively" have a reasonable explanation then your ok... Mainly because you showed an upward trend from the beginning and out of nowhere you received a C... That shows a disturbance in the trend your grades were trying to reflect...

I'm not a huge fan of all the dropping of classes, especially chemistry TWICE? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
thats because i wasn't absolutely positive, dead set on wanting, truely desiring that and nothing else, to go to med school until the end of this summer, so it was hard to keep the motivation high last year, when i didn't know much what i wanted to do with my life. now i KNOW. i'm headed toward studying medicine. bc I've had kinda a dry spell since last year, i don't want to be the idiot who makes up for it by taking 23 credits and being president of 10 clubs. catch my drift? i want to take things a bit slow right now, work up my confidence, and take more classes 15+ credits starting in the spring of 08, and keep my 12 (full time) or 11.5 (part time) credits

i'm just scared adcomms might look at it as being uncapable, which is not true at all.

Yeah, the huge number of drops worries me more than the C+, personally. Plus it appears that you are either a part-time or barely full-time student, which also doesn't bode well for recognition of your academic ability unless you have a good excuse like working full-time. Maybe post in the Mentor Forum for some adcom feedback?

You'll be fine as long as you don't drop anymore classes. Put the past behind you and focus on doing well.