For those accepted: Did you ever think you WOULDN'T get into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coco11

will settle for roses
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know. Believe in yourself or no one else will blah blah. But honestly, I have decent stats but look at statistics for interviews/acceptances and feel so overwhelmed. Why WOULD they pick me from 1000s of others? On the surface, it seems lots of premeds are all qualified and have somewhat equal qualifications.

Anyone else feel this way? I'm most interested in those of you who were eventually accepted. :)

Members don't see this ad.

coco11 said:
I know, I know. Believe in yourself or no one else will blah blah. But honestly, I have decent stats but look at statistics for interviews/acceptances and feel so overwhelmed. Why WOULD they pick me from 1000s of others? On the surface, it seems lots of premeds are all qualified and have somewhat equal qualifications.

Anyone else feel this way? I'm most interested in those of you who were eventually accepted. :)

Of course, it can be a daunting process. Just keep swimming.....

Yes, I could say that I was definitely surprised. I mean, you can say that I believed in myself but my stats were ok and I really thought that I'd have a hard time getting into a school but surprisingly enough, I got accepted at the first school that I interviewed at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did think there was a chance I wouldn't get into an MD school, but I always knew I had the scores to go DO. I believe a bit of luck was involved in my state school picking me over the thousands of other qualified candidates.

At the start of the process I was already figuring out a contingency plan for when I didn't get in...once I had that first acceptance in hand the entire process got significantly easier, I went into interviews relaxed and confident and it really showed.

I BARELY got in, and didn't know for sure I would until I got the long-awaited big packet.

definitely, and i wasnt prepared for the process to take so long for me, its been a rough wait. But better late than never!

NapeSpikes said:
I BARELY got in, and didn't know for sure I would until I got the long-awaited big packet.

It's the guns, gotta be the guns. :D

I pretty much knew I would get in if I reapplied to 30+ schools early this coming cycle. Still, the prospect of going through the whole process again while working full-time for a year was discouraging enough to make the purgatory seem endless. I can't fathom how people manage to go through a cycle when they can't feel reasonably confident in their ultimate odds of getting an acceptance. Their constitutions are a lot stronger than mine.

Last August I was seriously looking into getting a post doc. People always laugh when I say that, and in retrospect, yeah, it's pretty funny. But at the time, it wasn't funny at all. I had been rejected pre-secondary at my top choice school. The first school where I interviewed didn't accept me. Several other schools were hassling me about my P/F UG (investigating whether I had a real degree, demanding that I send them transcripts first before they'd consider sending me a secondary, etc.) Even some non-screening schools were balking at sending me a secondary. It was so bad that I called my mom and told her that I wasn't sure whether I'd get in anywhere, and that I needed to have a Plan B. Then, all of a sudden I started getting secondaries and interview invites, and I wound up getting my first three acceptances all on Oct. 15. I still got some subsequent rejections, but man, getting that first acceptance and knowing that no matter what, you're going to go to med school next year is just about the sweetest feeling in the entire world. :luck: to everyone who's just starting out on this process, and hang on, because it's one rough ride....

NonTradMed said:
I did think there was a chance I wouldn't get into an MD school, but I always knew I had the scores to go DO. I believe a bit of luck was involved in my state school picking me over the thousands of other qualified candidates.

Seeing how I got in at a MD school and rejected by many DO schools (including one I would have taken over where I am now); I think it is flawed thinking to think that your chances are any better at DO vs MD.
The simple fact of the matter is that it is very competitive to get in regardless of where you go (only exception might be the Caribbean, but I don’t know since I never resorted to the FMG route).

Dr. Giggles said:
I pretty much knew I would get in if I reapplied to 30+ schools early this coming cycle. Still, the prospect of going through the whole process again while working full-time for a year was discouraging enough to make the purgatory seem endless. I can't fathom how people manage to go through a cycle when they can't feel reasonably confident in their ultimate odds of getting an acceptance. Their constitutions are a lot stronger than mine.
Dr. Giggles, you're in! Congrats, man! :clap: :hardy:

I applied three times before finally getting an acceptance. The first year I applied I was really cocky thinking, "what school wouldn't want me?" answer: everyone of them I applied to! Each year I doubted myself more and more, and this year I got into my state school really late. It was a very humbling experience to say the least. I was ready to apply one more time and look for a different career if things didn't happen for me. For those of you still grinding it out, keep your head up. All it takes is just one acceptance, and it doesn't matter when you get accepted, once you start school, everyone is on the same level playing field.

Members don't see this ad :)
coco11 said:

What really scares me is thinking that I will be the only applicant to not even get an interview anywhere. Or worse not even get a secondary, like even though the school doesn't screen, they still reject mine pre-secondary. I hope that I would have the fortitude to reapply the next year. Before SDN, I didn't even know that you culd reapply. I thought it was a one shot deal and that every other school had a pre-med major that guarunteed a spot.
p.s. sorry if this seems morbid, but I get scared sometimes.

oldjeeps said:
Seeing how I got in at a MD school and rejected by many DO schools (including one I would have taken over where I am now); I think it is flawed thinking to think that your chances are any better at DO vs MD.
The simple fact of the matter is that it is very competitive to get in regardless of where you go (only exception might be the Caribbean, but I don’t know since I never resorted to the FMG route).

I agree :thumbup:

MirrorTodd said:
What really scares me is thinking that I will be the only applicant to not even get an interview anywhere. Or worse not even get a secondary, like even though the school doesn't screen, they still reject mine pre-secondary. I hope that I would have the fortitude to reapply the next year. Before SDN, I didn't even know that you culd reapply. I thought it was a one shot deal and that every other school had a pre-med major that guarunteed a spot.
p.s. sorry if this seems morbid, but I get scared sometimes.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I really give myself a less than 25% chance of getting in. :scared: I hope I have the strength to reapply however many times it takes to get in.

Anastasis said:
I really give myself a less than 25% chance of getting in. :scared:

Well keep in mind, of the national applicant data from the 2005 cycle (2006 hasn't been published yet), there were 37,364 applicants and 17,004 matriculants. So right there, that gives you a 45.51% statistical chance. Nevermind the fact that I'm sure that includes some absolutely *horrid* applicants, which you are not (I looked at your MDApps). People that are scared - don't sell yourself short! There's nothing wrong with having a little confidence in your application, especially in your interviews. The key is to show the adcoms you deserve to be at their school, and that they should *want* you at their school, but without being arrogant about it. It's tough sometimes, but it can be done :)

after I was about halfway through college, once I'd accomplished a lot of things, and I'd gotten my MCAT back, I never seriously doubted my chances of getting into at least my state schools (and I got into both). I never took any other schools for granted, though.

TheProwler said:
after I was about halfway through college, once I'd accomplished a lot of things, and I'd gotten my MCAT back, I never seriously doubted my chances of getting into at least my state schools (and I got into both). I never took any other schools for granted, though.

I admire you for having the balls to say this even though I can't identify at all (maybe I could of having your background, who knows?).. I know there are tons of people out there that also share this sentiment.. but I also happen to know some people who thought this and it bit them in the ass when apps time came around.. at least as far as what types of schools they expected to get into..

I definitely had my doubts. I didnt get in the first time I applied. I was lucky enough this year to eventually get 2 acceptances. But not getting in last year ended up working well for me, I met some amazing doctors this year and got to see some pretty cool surgeries and it strengthened my resolve to become a physician. I believe that if you really want to be a doctor then you will find a way to make it happen.

QofQuimica said:
Dr. Giggles, you're in! Congrats, man! :clap: :hardy:

Thanks a lot Q! Hard to believe it's been 3 weeks since I got that phone call. I still pinch myself almost every day.

oldjeeps said:

By my scores, I had a better shot at DO schools than MD schools, so I don't think it was flawed thinking that I would have a better shot at DO than MD. Med schools are still very score-centered, and my scores were lower for more MD schools than DO schools. The results bore this out. I was accepted to more DO schools than MD schools. From my personal experience, I would say that I had better results applying to DO schools than MD schools.

However, I got into my top two choices, one a DO and one an MD school, so it's a moot point now.

TheProwler said:

That's funny, I thought I might get into Madison, but when I got into my #1 - Wake? Blew me away....

Let me say this, Wake is where I will be, and it's where I wanted to matriculate since I visited 3, no 4 years ago!

If you are applying now, make it clear, not sappy and clingy and 8th grade make-out buddy-like, but crystal clear you want that institution and tell them why.

I thought there was a pretty decent chance I wouldn't get into any MD/PhD programs, but I was pretty sure I'd get at least one MD spot. Thankfully, I got into an MD/PhD program.

I thought I wouldn't get in either because my application was submitted relatively late and my stats weren't stellar. But I was really enthusiastic in my interviews and I think that helped me get into my top choice!

But seriously, I was convinced that I would have to reapply or would never get in. I think that personality can go a long way if you have "average" stats, so act excited (hopefully you ARE excited and just need to show it!)

javert said:
I admire you for having the balls to say this even though I can't identify at all (maybe I could of having your background, who knows?).. I know there are tons of people out there that also share this sentiment.. but I also happen to know some people who thought this and it bit them in the ass when apps time came around.. at least as far as what types of schools they expected to get into..

Dear javert and girlfriend,

If you are friends with anybody on your admissions committee, can you please inform them that I can make some killer baked goods and I'd be glad to personally deliver them at any time? ;)

Love,
Duchess742

coco11 said:

Yup. I tried not to let the feeling become too strong, but of course there were doubts. Mainly because I feared my first degrees (youthful slacker indolence) would never be able to be overcome/discounted, even with my shiny new degree and good MCAT... and I was almost right. Total of 13 applications over two years. One interview. One acceptance. (In Canada we're even more worried about this because only 20-30% of applicants get in every year, instead of nearly 50% in the states).

A better question, to lift your spirits OP - why wouldn't they pick you? You're just as qualified as anyone else, everyone has their flaws... (you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, etc...)

Did I think I wouldn't get accepted? Oh, yeah - and boy did I panic when the reality set in. I wanted to get great grades and a very good MCAT so that I would be competitive anywhere - and I like to think that I did. But, applying at age 43, I won't accuse any specific school of age discrimination, but let's just say that it finally dawned on me that the world wasn't half as excited about my application as I was (and, I concede, it may have been that they didn't like my essay or the fact that I did the majority of my pre-reqs in community college at night). But, when I interviewed at my state allopathic school, the first thing my primary interviewer told me was that he'd had people in their '40's and even one in his '50's in his medical school class and that those older people were an inspiration that helped him to get through school. I knew the higher power that selects interview assignments had given me one huge break - at the school that was really my first choice. The acceptance and scholarship came in the mail three weeks later. I will always be grateful to that young doc who was open to giving me a chance in medicine.

I felt this way the first time I applied (I got in the second time I did.) The key is to apply to a number of schools that have better stats than you do -dream schools; a number than have stats that are roughly equivalent to yours- reasonable schools; and a few you'd consider to be safety schools. There is no shame in going to a DO or Carribbean school if it is the only way you can get your foot in the door....The first time I applied, I was rejected at 10 schools, waitlisted at 2, and put on a pre-interview hold at another. Second time I was rejected by 1 b/c of TMDSAS, accepted at 1, and waitlisted at another. Basically, it is a crap shoot- I had an interviewer at the school that accepted me tell me that I should reapply in case this year I didn't fit the mold of desired candidate. just keep on trying!!!
coco11 said:

This was my second time applying. After applying to 20+ schools the first time (I received 3 interviews, 1 post-interview rejection and 2 waitlists that didn't work out), I thought I was totally screwed. I reapplied the following year and received 4 interviews and 4 waitlists. I therefore sent in my apps to some Caribbean schools and got accepted at AUC, Ross and SGU. I was honestly preparing myself to go to those islands. I am a very qualified applicant...even to US schools; however, my freshman year GPA was extremely low and schools told me they weren't too happy with that (even after getting a Masters and doing extremely well). I had also taken the MCAT a total of 3 times - went up 9 points from my initial score. Needless to say, it's been a long and hard road to my first acceptance (which happened about a week ago from one of my waitlists). It was the best feeling in the world and I still cannot believe that it is actually happening.

Non-TradTulsa said:
Did I think I wouldn't get accepted? Oh, yeah - and boy did I panic when the reality set in. I wanted to get great grades and a very good MCAT so that I would be competitive anywhere - and I like to think that I did. But, applying at age 43, I won't accuse any specific school of age discrimination, but let's just say that it finally dawned on me that the world wasn't half as excited about my application as I was (and, I concede, it may have been that they didn't like my essay or the fact that I did the majority of my pre-reqs in community college at night). But, when I interviewed at my state allopathic school, the first thing my primary interviewer told me was that he'd had people in their '40's and even one in his '50's in his medical school class and that those older people were an inspiration that helped him to get through school. I knew the higher power that selects interview assignments had given me one huge break - at the school that was really my first choice. The acceptance and scholarship came in the mail three weeks later. I will always be grateful to that young doc who was open to giving me a chance in medicine.

Wow - that is really inspiring to me! :D

At first I thought I would have my pick of schools, with 33 mcat and 3.5 from ivy with lots fo research and extracurrics I thought I'd be in my state and other "safety" schools and maybe even some upper tier schools.

A year later, I was rejected from state and barely got into "safety" off of the waitlist.

For awhile there when I was rejected from state and not in anywhere else I thought maybe it wouldnt work out.

It goes to show there aren't really "safety" med schools and getting in anywhere is tough for everyone..

TheProwler said:

Ditto. I was pretty sure I'd get in somewhere in Texas based on numbers alone and the fact that we have so many schools in-state . . . I was pretty sure I WOULDN'T get into the non-state schools where I did, especially UCSF. I can legitimately say I was shocked to be accepted there.

browniegirl86 said:
Ditto. I was pretty sure I'd get in somewhere in Texas based on numbers alone and the fact that we have so many schools in-state . . . I was pretty sure I WOULDN'T get into the non-state schools where I did, especially UCSF. I can legitimately say I was shocked to be accepted there.

With a 40 and a 3.9?!?

I definitely wasn't sure whether or not I would get in!! My advice to you: throw as many chips into the pile as you can afford and see where the chips may fall. I applied to A TON of schools simply out of fear I wouldn't get in, but I was accepted into my first choice MD program. I am a pessimist (if you can't tell). :oops: Good luck to you!! :luck:

This is very inspirational! I hope I have something positive to contribute to this thread later this year or early next year.

Non-TradTulsa said:

Anastasis said:
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I really give myself a less than 25% chance of getting in. :scared: I hope I have the strength to reapply however many times it takes to get in.

Let me tell you being a re-applicant is so emotionally draining and has definitely been a horrible stretch of my life. In the past couple years, I have done A LOT of thinking and you really start to think some really depressing and wied thoughts. Ever since the end of my sophomore year of undergrad everything went downhill for me (long story)—so till this day I am still trying to put everything back into place. Barring any miracles on this April MCAT I most likely will end up at St. Georges or Ross….people keep on telling me that I should be fine for an osteopathic school, but my last couple semesters of science work were s***, luckily I bounced back with a 4.0 in my MPH.

Sorry for rambling…long story short, I am really nervous about this upcoming application cycle, I really hope that I get in a school in the US, preferably an allopathic school…makes you wonder why you dream sometimes…. :confused:

DrVanNostran said:
Let me tell you being a re-applicant is so emotionally draining and has definitely been a horrible stretch of my life. In the past couple years, I have done A LOT of thinking and you really start to think some really depressing and wied thoughts. Ever since the end of my sophomore year of undergrad everything went downhill for me (long story)—so till this day I am still trying to put everything back into place. Barring any miracles on this April MCAT I most likely will end up at St. Georges or Ross….people keep on telling me that I should be fine for an osteopathic school, but my last couple semesters of science work were s***, luckily I bounced back with a 4.0 in my MPH.

Sorry for rambling…long story short, I am really nervous about this upcoming application cycle, I really hope that I get in a school in the US, preferably an allopathic school…makes you wonder why you dream sometimes…. :confused:

Thanks for rambling :D Your story is my story. Reapplying is draining and emotionally stressful. It really does test you especially when it seems as if nothing is working out. Hang in there.

LabMonster said:
If you are applying now, make it clear, not sappy and clingy and 8th grade make-out buddy-like, but crystal clear you want that institution and tell them why.

Ditto on this. My stats, as anyone can see, are not the top eschelon, due to some familial issues and a general unpreparedness for college early on. I applied last year and only applied to my state school because I had an old MCAT issue. My state school, which was actually my top choice anyway, was really one of the few schools that would take my MCAT score still and I didn't want to retake it. In retrospect, I ought to just have retaken it and applied to more schools. But anyway, I ended up getting waitlisted and the school indicated they wanted me to retake the MCAT and do better and also to apply to more schools as they didn't think I was really that serious because I applied to only one school.

So there I was, needing to reapply and feeling scared that it wouldn't work out. But I did all that and I made it very clear to that state school that they were still my number one choice, pre-interview, during the interview, and post-interview. I ended up with 2 acceptances this year and one waitlist (which I withdrew from so I don't really know if I would have gotten in) and one was from my state school. They knew I was committed to them and I showed it by jumping through all their very expensive hoops and apparently it did the trick. But it is worth it in the end.

DrVanNostran said:

I felt like someone was reading my thoughts. I'm reapplying this year too and the only thing that has made me more disappointed is that both of my friends have gotten into top-notch dental schools, and I'm the only one left sort of hanging.. :(

These days I feel like there are soooooo manyyy odds against me, that I should just stop wasting money, not apply and pack my stuff to the Caribbeans . It's really disgusting the way I'm hanging everyone in my family with me.. for that ONE letter :mad:

MarzMD said:
With a 40 and a 3.9?!?

Yeah . . . I am definitely one of the lamest people accepted there in terms of activities and research. Plus all the grades and MCATs are close enough to not matter anymore at that level. And I'm out of state, for a UC school . . . I really wanted it but I definitely didn't know I'd get in there.

So, it was a good surprise :)

Mah said:
I felt like someone was reading my thoughts. I'm reapplying this year too and the only thing that has made me more disappointed is that both of my friends have gotten into top-notch dental schools, and I'm the only one left sort of hanging.. :(

These days I feel like there are soooooo manyyy odds against me, that I should just stop wasting money, not apply and pack my stuff to the Caribbeans . It's really disgusting the way I'm hanging everyone in my family with me.. for that ONE letter :mad:

I know what you mean, it is really hard to keep on going. My best friends are all starting their M3 or M4 year this fall, and here I am working on my AMCAS. I just hope that adcoms see our persistence and hopefully improvement. I hate the feeling how our parents are just waiting for that letter, and instead of support, I get blamed for everything. I guess they don't realize that we are trying our hardest.

I was accepted to SGU, but I just didn't feel right about it. I am still not sure if I would go to an Osteopathic school or SGU....whats your take?

sassykru said:
Thanks for rambling :D Your story is my story. Reapplying is draining and emotionally stressful. It really does test you especially when it seems as if nothing is working out. Hang in there.

I can honestly say that I spent many nights on the phone crying to my mom and my SO saying "I'M NEVER GOING TO GET IN!!!" This was pre-MCAT and then again when I actually started my secondaries. I had spent 2 years in denial that I would ever get accepted and then I was accepted at every school I interviewed at (turned down interviews as well). I can honestly say that many people experience the overwhelming feeling of "failure" before even getting to the application cycle. For every A- I made (two!!), I cried and cried and thought I'd never get in because of those!!....and now I see how dumb my reasoning was. Hang in there and you'll make it!!...if you really WANT to be a doctor, there is always a way!!

McMD said:
For every A- I made (two!!), I cried and cried and thought I'd never get in because of those!!....and now I see how dumb my reasoning was.

Wow you sounded like a huge tool.

For every A- I made (two!!), I cried and cried and thought I'd never get in because of those!!....and now I see how dumb my reasoning was.

hehe

:laugh:

-A

coco11 said:

Until that first acceptance came in, I definitely had a few nightmares about not getting in anywhere. After the first acceptance, even though it was the worst and most expensive school I applied to, I can only describe myself as relieved, like a runner is relieved after crossing the finish line in a marathon.

Non-TradTulsa said:

congratulations and good luck! your story is the best ive heard on sdn this year. i hope your school ends up being everything youd hoped it would be!

Non-TradTulsa said:

yeah, that's really awesome! great story, and hopefully you'll be able to inspire applicants someday when you're the one sitting on the admissions board :)