for those accepted to PCO...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minx1004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to PCO around October 10 but I have not received anything back from them other than a letter that lists what PCO is missing from me. I'm starting to get worried because I have read other threads and schools tend to reply after a month. Anyone who got interviewed or accepted to PCO, can you tell me:
-when you applied?
-when you took the OATs?
-when PCO replied?
-when interviewed?
-accepted or still waiting?
-cum. GPA, science GPA, OAT scores?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Applied-Sept. 1
Took OAT- May 31, 07
when PCO replied- Sept. 21
when interviewed-Oct 1
accepted- Oct. 26

I had everything in the first day it opened and had the interview on the first day available, then got accepted on their first applicant review date. I was super early, but you are definately not behind, so I wouldn't worry too much. I would call and talk to an admissions counselor if you are concerned and make sure everything is alright. If you are missing things, that may be why they haven't invited you for an interview yet.

I applied to PCO around October 10 but I have not received anything back from them other than a letter that lists what PCO is missing from me. I'm starting to get worried because I have read other threads and schools tend to reply after a month. Anyone who got interviewed or accepted to PCO, can you tell me:
-when you applied?
-when you took the OATs?
-when PCO replied?
-when interviewed?
-accepted or still waiting?
-cum. GPA, science GPA, OAT scores?
Thanks!

Got me an interview at Pennsylvania C. of optometry on december 20th

i applied like a dental student.. a whopping 12 optometry schools
OAT = 320
PHY=310 ORGanic=350 BIo=310 CHm=320 RC=300 QR=290

Undergrad GPA= 2.9-3.0

Barry university masters in biomedical science program... i did the program in 1 year. gpa- 3.444

nova is waiting on my grades .

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied Oct 6th but last reference letter was not sent until Oct 30th. I took my OATs in august. My cum. GPA and science GPA are a 3.4 in honors Chemistry and my OAT scores were AA: 350 total science: 360. I'm actually still waiting to hear from PCO. I will call on monday to check on my application status. I haven't really worried because I was accepted at Pacific really early, but I am still interested in PCO.

I guess I'm just worried about taking my OATs, which I am to take on Dec. 5... I am not very good with these type of tests. I don't know what to expect from the OATs, I've studied from the Kaplan OAT and DAT book, and I needed assistance with many of the problems. My friend took his DATs and told me it was difficult, but I don't know whether the OATs will be similar to the DATs standard-wise. My other friend who took the OATs told me the questions on the exam were not too bad, many were just basic questions on each subject.... ahhhh I'm going to freak out... I guess I will find out when I take it this coming wed. I've been pushing back the exam every time it nears, but this time I will go for it... wish me luck people!

i have an interview scheduled for next week. i applied late september.

optEXTREME your essays must have blown them away to get an interview without your transcripts. I applied early october and just called. It is being sent for review this week I think. They are a very hard school to get a hold of, the phone is always busy and when you leave them a message they call a few days later at weird times, like 730 this morning. good luck on your interview and let those of us still waiting know how it went

I had an interview with PCO Nov 6th. They told me this last Thursday (Dec 6th) they were reviewing my application and they will let me know when I called them that morning……I emailed them the next day to see what happened. They said that my application is still under review….My friend who had a better OAT score than me had his interview a week after me and was accepted two weeks later. He ended up turning them down for Nova……I don't get it….How come they are reviewing my application forever?

Do they push your application to the side if they are undecided on your application?

i just came back from PCO (great school!!!!). The tour guide dude said your file is usually reviewed at the following committee meeting which usually takes place once every two weeks, unless they have a holiday goin' on or something. During those meetings, your file will be presented then followed by a yes or no vote. Majority rules. If your file is placed on hold it's probably because they're waiting on something, of which they should've already told you about at your exit interview. anyway that's just the info I got it could be wrong. anyway g'luck to all of us !

The tour guide told me the same thing. I have everything completed. I don't know why they are taking so long!

what were ur stats like (OAT and gpa)?

i just had my interview yesterday (12/10) and i checked my email this morning to find out that i have been accepted to PCO already. they told me it would maybe take 3-6 weeks since the holiday was coming up but i guess they acted faster than expected!

jaguilar-our OAT stats are around the same, but your GPA is like .2 higher than mine. i heard from PCO after i took my OATs--i was surprised since my file wasn't complete.

oh crap. i think i just got rejected i didn't get an email :hungover:

did anyone else get an email from them today, if so when was your interview? or did anyone interview in the past month and didn't get an email today? AHh

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone, just finished up my first semester at PCO!!!! :cool: it definitely had its very challenging moments. with regards to admissions, i've gone through it. i was on hold for OAT scores (i didn't take them until Feb) for a while. the bottom line is, if you don't have all the requirements fulfilled going in, you have to be very patient. i had an excellent undergrad GPA and was provisionally accepted the beginning of Dec. (interviewed on Oct. 20!). as already mentioned, the admissions committee meets only on certain days (i'm assuming every other friday?). just hang in there, and best of luck to all of you! :thumbup:

what were ur stats like (OAT and gpa)?

I have about 3.5 years of experience working in Ophthalmologist/Optometrist office.....plus i have an Internship at National Eye Institute next semester finishing up my Public Health B.S.
as for GPA and OAT....they are a little rocky....

Science GPA = 3.26 [ Community college GPA = 3.29 Univ of MD GPA= 3.76 ==> Avg to about 3.49]
TS 310 AA 310 Phys 330 ORG CHem 310 Gen Chemc 280 Bio 320 Reading Comph 230 Quant Reas 360

I did really bad on RC 230 : (....English is my 2nd language but i dont' know ....i just didnt' get enough practice with reading....I need to work on my active reading skills... I knew going to the interview that RC would hold things back for me.....But what' is frustrating is that I called Dec 6th to see what's going on with my application and they told me that my file is being reviewed that day. Then they said it's still being reviewed.....I called again today ....they told me that my file is going to be reviewed on Wend.....She told me that if a file gets reviewed they dont' just put it aside ...they will give you some kind of answer but they didn't .......I wish they just gave me something to work with here!!!
I have all these things i need to figure out.....that's what's frustrating me....I have to prepare for the OAT's again and retake them but i'm not sure when to retake them exactly!!! If i take them earlier I need to take off from work all break which is a huge dent in my pocket I can't afford right now!!! If they tell me retake the OAT in the next month and do well ...then it's worth it big time....otherwise i feel like i want to take it later on and re-apply next year....

I hope they let me know something this week.....it's frustrating hearing all these people who get their answer right away and i'm in the air! I dont get it!!! I had my interview Nov 6th .....:(

hmmm yeah ur OAT scores really suck to be quite honest... why dont u jus retake ur OATs and send them the new scores... I wouldnt wait till they respond b/c honestly.. ur Community college gpa isnt that great.. and then ur OAT scores are bad too... I haven't taken my OAT yet (taking it Feb.2) but I'm applyin to PCO with a 3.7 science pre-req and I'm from Canada.. so competition wise I can see why they keep reviewing your file.. the only way you can be competitive is to retake your OATs... at least thats my opinion

hmmm yeah ur OAT scores really suck to be quite honest... why dont u jus retake ur OATs and send them the new scores... I wouldnt wait till they respond b/c honestly.. ur Community college gpa isnt that great.. and then ur OAT scores are bad too... I haven't taken my OAT yet (taking it Feb.2) but I'm applyin to PCO with a 3.7 science pre-req and I'm from Canada.. so competition wise I can see why they keep reviewing your file.. the only way you can be competitive is to retake your OATs... at least thats my opinion

I just got an email from them that i got accepted!

congrats...not you don't have to take the OAT again if you want to go there!

hah congrats I spoke to soon.. i guess i underestimated the competitiveness...

thanks guys!!! I am not retaking the OAT's now. Now I can go on a vacation. I haven't been to one in 8 years!

I still can't believe it. I think pulling up my grades at Univ of MD is what helped me get in.

So who am I going to be seeing next year at PCO?

Is there a facebook group for PCO? I noticed some of the other schools had them.

thanks guys!!! I am not retaking the OAT's now. Now I can go on a vacation. I haven't been to one in 8 years!

I still can't believe it. I think pulling up my grades at Univ of MD is what helped me get in.

So who am I going to be seeing next year at PCO?

Is there a facebook group for PCO? I noticed some of the other schools had them.

Congratz shirazyterp! I have an interview with PCO on Jan. 14th.. hopefully it goes well as it did with you~

when does this school start? i can't seem to find the schedule

Congratz shirazyterp! I have an interview with PCO on Jan. 14th.. hopefully it goes well as it did with you~

Thanks Minx. Good luck with your interview. Half my interview the Ms Barker was talking which was nice. It was a pretty good day. Have fun!

Hey! Does anyone know whether the first deposit for PCO is refundable? If I change my mind about attending that school, does that $500 go back to us or what?

Hey! Does anyone know whether the first deposit for PCO is refundable? If I change my mind about attending that school, does that $500 go back to us or what?

read their website (tuition link, i think), they give you your deposit back minus $100.