For those already in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lev zev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How intense is it? How many hours a day do you put into studies? Do you have time to work? Any info on how it feels like to be in pharmacy school is accepted just post it up...
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The answers to these questions are every where on these forums. They are common questions.

I will go ahead and give my answer, it all varies depending on what time of the month it is (UK is on blocks, so 2 weeks out of the month are terrible and the other 2 great). My advice to any incoming pharmacy student is to keep your priorities straight. Realize what is the most important things and people in your life and keep them there.

Just do a search here in the forums and you can find a lot of information about the intensity of pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
its different for every school

In my opinion, the other posters already gave the best opinion. .. prioritize your time. No matter what from this point on, pharmacy should be your first priority after your family.

I know so many people who had to repeat a year or fork out a lot of money for summer school just so they can work a few extra hours a week. Obviously, those few extra hours a week was not worth the extra tuition, lost wages, etc.

I start first year in August, but from what I've heard, the academic pressure or necessity of making straight A's or close to straight A's as in undergrad is over. It is not necessary to make all A's or B's as long as you learn the material and pass. Getting the A's is important as a pre-pharmacy student in order to get your foot in the door...once you're in, I've been told not to worry about obtaining a 4.0. All of this doesn't mean you're free to do the bare minimum to pass. On the contrary, if you do only the bare minimum to pass, you're probably setting yourself up for failure because once the courses get more challenging, your 2.3 GPA might suddenly drop to an unacceptable 1.9. I would say as long as you maintain a GPA slightly higher than a 3.0, such as a 3.3, you are doing great.

As a matter of fact, a former acquaintance of mine from school had a 3.9 in undergrad. Upon the completion of her first year, her GPA was a 3.1. I'm not an expert, as I'm not a student yet, but I would suppose a 3.1 is a great GPA considering how most pharm students take 8 classes each semester. But then again, that is only my opinion.

I start first year in August, but from what I've heard, the academic pressure or necessity of making straight A's or close to straight A's as in undergrad is over. It is not necessary to make all A's or B's as long as you learn the material and pass. Getting the A's is important as a pre-pharmacy student in order to get your foot in the door...once you're in, I've been told not to worry about obtaining a 4.0. All of this doesn't mean you're free to do the bare minimum to pass. On the contrary, if you do only the bare minimum to pass, you're probably setting yourself up for failure because once the courses get more challenging, your 2.3 GPA might suddenly drop to an unacceptable 1.9. I would say as long as you maintain a GPA slightly higher than a 3.0, such as a 3.3, you are doing great.

In short: Cs=Pharm.D.:D

Of course, you want to do as well as possible as some internships are more competitive and just because this profession depends on its professionals being knowledgeable enough to not screw up people's lives.

In short: Cs=Pharm.D.:D

Of course, you want to do as well as possible as some internships are more competitive and just because this profession depends on its professionals being knowledgeable enough to not screw up people's lives.

Lol, haha, that is true from what i've heard about Cs= Pharm.D. Or like I've read here on sdn somewhere about prospects for graduating pharmacists ten years ago or so...All C's 50 G's. Ha, it should now be All C's 100 G's. :laugh:

But on a serious note, yea, it's extremely important to really just learn the material for the sake of your future patients and to enhance your learning experience. I'm sure those individuals who simply wish to maintain a 2.0 all 4 years don't make it because once their GPA drops below that as a result of more challenging coursework, they're either put on academic probation or dismissed from the program.

It's different for every person at every school. Ask where you'll be going and even then...it's up to you.

I just finished my P3 year and am currently on rotations. The intensity of pharmacy really depends on the person and the school. Although many have said Cs = pharmds that probably isn't the best approach if you ever wanted to consider a residency. Different students in my class struggled with different classes. Some had a really hard time with practical type courses like patient education, but would do great in the pharmacology courses. As for the work load though, I spent about 8 to 12 hours a week studying/working on projects outside of class during the first year or so and maybe 12 to 18 hours week on average in my P3 year. I worked a shift a week as an intern and was also was a TA. I also rarely studied on the weekends. good luck