For those anxiously awaiting secondaries today...

Started by flewsmcgee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flewsmcgee

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I almost didn't post this but I wanted to share some wisdom from someone who just completed a "successful" application cycle.

For all of those just beginning, please understand how brutal, demoralizing, and LONG this process is. My own application was submitted in the beginning of June 2014, and I received my first and only acceptance in June of 2015, after I had already submitted my 2016 reapp. Take a moment to really think about that. For an entire YEAR I had dealt with the sting of rejection with what seemed like very little hope of turning it around.

Now that I have been accepted, I will be placed into the "matriculated" column of the AAMC tables and labeled a success. But let me tell you, it didn't feel like a success for an entire year of my life. Even my friends who had wildly successful cycles dealt with insecurities and fear for months and months as rejections rolled in.

So the point of this post is to get you all to take a deep breath and realize that this process WILL beat you down, and you WILL feel like you have failed for a good chunk of it. Most applicants don't make it at all, and a large majority of the ones that do struggle a lot to get their single acceptance. That's the nature of the beast. Try your best to just do your best and not let your fears eat you alive. Good luck!!
 
Thank you for this encouraging post. Secondaries are the last part of this process that we can even hope to guess the timing of, so as we submit our secondaries, we all have to consider the reality that we will begin months of sitting around waiting for an interview, a decision, movement in the waitlist, etc. Your post was very kind and provided good perspective to all of us who are bound to be frustrated, impatient, and discouraged at some point.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Appreciate the encouraging words!! In other news, has anyone actually received secondaries today? I'm verified but haven't gotten anything yet!
 
Appreciate the encouraging words!! In other news, has anyone actually received secondaries today? I'm verified but haven't gotten anything yet!
I haven't gotten a single one yet. Every time my email bings I get super excited only to be disappointed. Hopefully soon! I have been verified since 6/23.
 
@ReadyforMed, thats reassuring! Same here. It was stressing me out because I applied to 29 schools so I figured I'd at least have one by now!
 
@xyphr, I figured I would have one from the 12 I applied to by now. I know UAB is going to take a while but the other 11 should hopefully send them out to me soon. I know a few of the schools I have applied to haven't sent them to me yet. I didn't really apply to schools that pre-screen so I am just anxious lol.
 
I haven't gotten any, either. I'm missing some of my LORs, but I don't think that inhibits them sending secondaries, does it?
 
I haven't gotten any, either. I'm missing some of my LORs, but I don't think that inhibits them sending secondaries, does it?
Here we go...just got my first (and I've got a large list).
200.gif
 
I haven't received any secondaries either, only 2 application received emails. Verified since 6/18.
 
I haven't gotten any, either. I'm missing some of my LORs, but I don't think that inhibits them sending secondaries, does it?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Someone in the Rochester thread said they submit their secondary without LORs.
 
Just got my first one! Thinking it just takes some time considering they probably have thousands to send out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dumb question: Will I have to wait to get verified before receiving any secondaries? Submitted on June 17th.
 
Verified 6/27 and no secondaries yet. I'll update once they roll in!

Dumb question: Will I have to wait to get verified before receiving any secondaries? Submitted on June 17th.

Per previous SDN forums, you can receive secondaries pre-verification.
 
Good luck everyone.

I'll chime in with the OP, I submitted my AMCAS June 10th, 2014. I received my first acceptance May 12th, 2015. You'll probably feel like crap at several different points throughout the cycle, but remember all that matters is how it shakes out in the very end (plus you can always reapply).
 
Last edited:
This morning I was saying to myself: "WHY NO SECONDARIES YET?!"

Now I am like: "STAHHHP, NO MORE SECONDARIES!"
I wish. I've gotten one secondary, one 'we just want your money, no essays', and one 'just letting you know that you may not get a secondary because we screen.'

Otherwise, radio silence. I guess that's a good thing, since I didn't actually prewrite...
 
So I just pasted my responses into the GW secondary thing...

It turns out they don't count spaces as characters! So now I'm gonna rework my essays a bit since I have more space to play with.

But yeah, heads up. GW's text boxes do NOT count spaces as characters.
 
I almost didn't post this but I wanted to share some wisdom from someone who just completed a "successful" application cycle.

For all of those just beginning, please understand how brutal, demoralizing, and LONG this process is. My own application was submitted in the beginning of June 2014, and I received my first and only acceptance in June of 2015, after I had already submitted my 2016 reapp. Take a moment to really think about that. For an entire YEAR I had dealt with the sting of rejection with what seemed like very little hope of turning it around.

Now that I have been accepted, I will be placed into the "matriculated" column of the AAMC tables and labeled a success. But let me tell you, it didn't feel like a success for an entire year of my life. Even my friends who had wildly successful cycles dealt with insecurities and fear for months and months as rejections rolled in.

So the point of this post is to get you all to take a deep breath and realize that this process WILL beat you down, and you WILL feel like you have failed for a good chunk of it. Most applicants don't make it at all, and a large majority of the ones that do struggle a lot to get their single acceptance. That's the nature of the beast. Try your best to just do your best and not let your fears eat you alive. Good luck!!

Congrats on your acceptance! You only need one after all 🙂 would you mind sharing what your stats were? and any advice for people that might be in a similar situation? Did update letters, etc. help you in this process?
 
Noooo no stats lol. You can't compare yourself to someone with similar stats because they have totally different experiences and likely a completely different school list.



I also don't want him to post stats similar to my own and then have me freak out that I'll be on a waitlist until June lol.
 
Congrats on your acceptance! You only need one after all 🙂 would you mind sharing what your stats were? and any advice for people that might be in a similar situation? Did update letters, etc. help you in this process?

I won't give my exact stats, but I had stats that historically would give me a >50% chance of acceptance. I don't mean to scare people in this thread, but just to set expectations for the long, long wait that most all of you will face.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Oh man I was in the same situation! Except luckily, I found out before I finished my new app and I was able to throw it away whoooooooo! But I totally get how you feel like a failure for almost a year. Good luck to everyone applying this year! Trust me, once you get an acceptance, no matter when it is, it's the best feeling ever!!
 
Noooo no stats lol. You can't compare yourself to someone with similar stats because they have totally different experiences and likely a completely different school list.



I also don't want him to post stats similar to my own and then have me freak out that I'll be on a waitlist until June lol.


I've learned to not rely on stats. Last cycle I saw too many exceptional friends left in silence until March..even late as May/June! And they had ridiculous stats AND experience. Sometimes it's just a roll of the die. All you can do is prepare yourself as best you can and give it a whirl. I'm keeping myself busy until June...I don't want to give myself any time to think of the email silence ahead +pissed+