For those considering DO school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
049.gif
653.gif
cool17.gif

We are one big happy bunch of people
fam09.gif
fam09.gif
fam09.gif
fam09.gif
fam09.gif
fam09.gif
fam09.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey wait a minute.........I wear scrubs to work.....

:eek:

I'm a looooooser fat chick who had a double-major and will only work 10 years post-residency before dying!!!!!

Oh the horror!!!!!:scared:

How fat? Like fried chicken KFC fat or more like doube order of Carson's ribs with a side of biscuts gravy and beans fat? Or fat like phat? So many types of fat to associate yourself with.

LOL

Let's just say I've never in my life been able to eat an entire side of beef, but for some reason, the older I get the more junk I find in my trunk....

Not looking forward to finding something to wear in OMM lab!

Originally posted by WillowRose
LOL

Let's just say I've never in my life been able to eat an entire side of beef, but for some reason, the older I get the more junk I find in my trunk....

Not looking forward to finding something to wear in OMM lab!

What do we have to wear in OMM?
Not something skimpy:scared: :scared: :scared:

OMM lab attire=sports bras (gals), no shirts (guys) and shorts, at least in the beginning....I think that's how it is at KCOM anyway.

"Oh, the horror..." is right! I've got quite a lot of junk in MY trunk, too!

your back has to be exposed, at least partly, so they can see your spine. you can get one of those shirts that tie at the neck and lower back, they cover your whole front but leave the back open.

boys will be touching you amy, how does mr amy b feel about that? ;)

So I guess we'll all be hitting the gym to get rid of that junk! I know I am...I felt wierd taking off my shirt in my Intro to Clinical Med/Physical Diagnosis class...:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have enough time between now and classes to lose all that I have to lose.:( :oops: Oh well, I am just going to have to find a OMM partner that has too much in the ol trunk also.:cool:

I would say not to worry about it so much ladies and gentlemen. I'm sure it will be like anything else you might be uncomfortable at first but after a while it will seem perfectly normal. Besides I would think that it would be helpful to gain experience with all body types.

OK, uncomfortable is one thing but they don't make sports bras in my size!!! Even before junk settled in the trunk, I couldn't wear a sports bra.

I'm doooomed---doomed, I say!!!!

I guess my partner is going to get lots of experience dealing with the spine of a well-endowed woman.

Egads...now I'm wishing that one of those damn allopathic schools had wanted me..........

I hear you sister............ I don't think I wore a sports bra since high school and even then it was rough. I was one of those gals who blossomed early in early high school and made the guys crazy.

We well-endowded women don't fit sports bras, however I will try to look at this OMM in a postive manner and be happy in the thought that I will give my classmates the extra knowledge they will need to work on a older, big chested gal.:p ;) :cool: :D

You guys could try on open backed bathing suit and a pair of shorts. My fiance is well-endowed and it is always a bit humorous to hear her complain about finding bras in general.

The retailers don't make sports bras for large chested women? :confused: That's absurd. You would think that there are alot of chlothing options for women...boy is that right! There are always 2 full floors of womens clothes for half a floor of men's.

:idea: Maybe you could design one out of spandex and put it together. ??? I really don't know what I am talking about but if you could sew, where there is a will, there is a way!;)

Wow :wow: , if being concerned about what to wear in the OMM lab is your biggest concern when entering medical school, then I must be nuts! I have been so worried about the anatomy lecture and lab, the long study hours we ALL have to put in, and the fact I dont want to fail, I must have missed worrying about what others and myself are going to look like in the lab!!! But I guess those things are minor to most people entering med school. I better go buy the coolest pair of work-out shorts I can find before its too late.

Focus on whats really important here: nobody is going to care what you look like in a bra and shorts as long as you're there and can provide a diverse study group for OMM. Big, small, fat, skinny, it doesn't matter to me and hopefully it doesn't matter to the other students.

Get a grip!!!

DocRadak:
I think this spawned to be a thread concerning body exposure which some of us don't do all the time. Also, I think some humor was let out to ease some of the other major concerns of medical school. Don't get me wrong or anything but I think that a major part of medical school is also becoming comfortable with yourself and your body in front of others. Some people don't care but others can be very self-conscious and this is one barrier to overcome.

As far as the workload and failing courses, most of us already know about the long hours and hard work we'll need to put in to do great! The voluminous amounts of information will be challenging. I know what to expect and I am not at all worried.

We're just throwing in a little humor...try not to be so serious.

Oh, gee....when did I mention this was my biggest concern? I don't worry about studying. I know how to do that. I worry about things like how to feed, clothe, and house my family. And yeah, occasionally, it occurs to me that I don't want my boobs hanging out in OMM lab. I'm sure most women would feel the same way. Call me crazy for having a bit of modesty. It's not about looking good, ya goof. It's about trying to keep some sense of decorum in class. How would you feel if you knew you had to go into a class and wear a pair of tight pants that could potentially leave the family jewels hanging out for all to see?

And yeah, you'd think they'd make 'em but they don't. Sports bras are supposed to provide major support during activity. It's not possible for spandex alone to hold up a larger woman. I can sew, but I can't construct a scaffold inside a piece of spandex.

I guess Amy B and I are the only ones who are going to be trying to figure out how to cover our bodies and expose our backs.

Willow (grumpy & snotty)

I know at UNE, most people where jonnys... those awful things you have to put on when going to the hospital or doctors office... the open-backed moomoo type things with the buttons you can never get together. In fact, I know all of the first year med students have to buy a johnny, so I think it is required that "simulated patients"...(fellow students) where them while being worked on. I know that most people in the omm lab wear Gym type clothes... Like sweats and a t-shirt. Since much of the stuff you do in the omm lab is not on the back, I dont think you need to have your back exposed all that often.

WillowRose:

I didn't mean any criticism or any unwarranted jokes. I can understand with the example you provided. At my current school, some of the females wore hospital gowns over their gym clothes and then left their bras on underneathe.

Anyways, OMM is a class I am definitely looking forward to and I can't wait to start!

here at UNECOM, we were most definitely required to purchase those hideous johnnies. We are occasionally forced to wear them in Foundations of Doctoring when we are practicing physical exams on each other, but in OMM lab we wear T-shirts and shorts/sweat pants. If i know we'll be working on the spine i'll wear a tank top underneath my (New England Patriots Superbowl Champions) T-Shirt, but only once have I ever needed to show off my sports bra to the other MS1s.

Don't worry. We're all too busy trying to figure out the techniques to gawk at each other, anyway.