for those doing or have done SFSU post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HailToTheThielf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. I am thinking about attending the informal post bacc program at SFSU. I wanted some info on living in the san fran area. First, I heard public trans in San Fran is horrible! Is this true. Where do the majority of people live who go to school at SFSU? Do they live in the city? Would you recommend taking a car to San Fran? Is it hard to find research jobs in the city? What about apartments? Better in the city? I have NO idea about san fran, I dont know if SFSU is IN san fran or the outside the city, Dont know where students live? I went to school in Boston, lived in the city and public tran was great but I haven't a clue about living in san fran. Whats the average price for rent for a one bedroom? Any info would be great! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

God you are all over the US. No need to travel that far man. Stick with HES, its just as pricy out there believe me.

yo sundabarn, are you at the HES program? Do you know if working at Mass general will classify you as a harvard employee so that I can get cheaper tuition?

Members don't see this ad :)
HailToTheThielf said:
yo sundabarn, are you at the HES program? Do you know if working at Mass general will classify you as a harvard employee so that I can get cheaper tuition?

Yes I do work at Mass General and no they will not pay for my tutition because I'm not a degree candidate (I've taken Chem previously) and MGH does not reemburse for non-degree granditing programs.

If you are eligible for the diploma program through HES you could get tuition assistance through MGH.

just a word about san francisco...

it's a fabulous place to live. but only if you've got mad money. the rent is ridiculous but if you can afford it, it's such an amazing place to live..

public transportation is so great there. you literally do not need a car for the most part, and parking is expensive...but a lot of people do have cars anyways. i used to travel up there every weekend while my boyfriend lived there and it was the most hassle free commute back and forth from los angeles. we just used cabs if there was a need...and 10 bucks goes far in a taxi there, not like LA.

i don't know...i think the people who are crazy about san francisco have good reason to be...it's an awesome place. but i can see it being a huge expense and hassle if you are trying to work and go to school and pay rent and stuff if you don't know the situation in san fran.

I have to echo aimsz88 here. San Francisco is incredibly expensive. I think attending SFSU would be a bad choice unless you are already living in SF in a rent-controlled apartment or moving to SF for a spouse's (very well paying) job.

Looks like a 1BR apt is going for $1300-1500 these days.

I'm actually giving up my job and leaving the Bay Area to do my pre-vet coursework and to gain residency in another state. Even for residents, UC professional school tuition is high.

No need to add to student loan debt any more than necessary.

Edited because I can't put together coherent sentences today.