For those familiar with Chicago hospitals - audition rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoohDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to find hospitals to do audition rotations at for OB/Gyn in the Fall, but I'm having some trouble.

1. Rush Univ. doesn't allow DO students to rotate there despite the fact that one of their OB directors is a DO and they accept DOs into their residency. Seems a little unfair, right? I think I'll be at a disadvantage in my application without an audition rotation.

2. St. James is the only DO hospital in Chicago, correct? I spoke with their medical education coordinator yesterday. Apparently they don't allow non- Midwestern Univ students to do visiting clerkship--even during 4th year. Can anyone confirm this for me? I thought 4th year students don't have to do OB. This means any 4th year doing OB as an elective at St. James has to be from Midwestern?

Most of the other programs in Chicago haven't e-mailed me back or returned my calls. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently they don't allow non- Midwestern Univ students to do visiting clerkship--even during 4th year. Can anyone confirm this for me? I thought 4th year students don't have to do OB. This means any 4th year doing OB as an elective at St. James has to be from Midwestern?

Most of the other programs in Chicago haven't e-mailed me back or returned my calls. Any advice?

Is this only for OB/Gyn? That's wierd. I did a month long rotation in Radiology there at the end my 3rd year. There were other visiting students in other areas at St. James while I was there too. Maybe they are tight with OB rotations for CCOM students. That just doesn't seem right when other programs in the hospital are taking visiting students.

Hmm, that's odd. What school do you go to?

Was Lashawn Tucker the person you went through? If not, do you have a contact you can pass along to me with whom I can set up rotations? I called the Osteopathic Medical Education director listed on Opportunites, and she told me to contact Ms. Tucker. She called me back saying I couldn't do a rotation there--it seemed kind of odd to me.

Thanks for you help!

Members don't see this ad :)
St. James does not have OB anymore. The residency is through other hospitals and St. James shut down their OB department a little under a year ago. CCOM's residency is through Christ Hospital and Little Company of Mary from my knowledge, maybe even Swedish, I am not sure.

Hope This Helps.

I am currently trying to find hospitals to do audition rotations at for OB/Gyn in the Fall, but I'm having some trouble.

1. Rush Univ. doesn't allow DO students to rotate there despite the fact that one of their OB directors is a DO and they accept DOs into their residency. Seems a little unfair, right? I think I'll be at a disadvantage in my application without an audition rotation.

2. St. James is the only DO hospital in Chicago, correct? I spoke with their medical education coordinator yesterday. Apparently they don't allow non- Midwestern Univ students to do visiting clerkship--even during 4th year. Can anyone confirm this for me? I thought 4th year students don't have to do OB. This means any 4th year doing OB as an elective at St. James has to be from Midwestern?

OB rotations are often tough for most schools to schedule because for obvious reasons not many physicians are accepting of students tagging along in a often very private situation with patients...that maybe the reason why they limit that specific rotation to CCOM because the schedule maybe tight...

well first off, are you sure that rush doesnt allow DO's to rotate, they just renewed a new contract with ccom to allow DOs to rotate electives there and for as long as i know ccom students have been rotating there without any problems...maybe they only allow ccom students to rotate there as far as DO's

second, all these hopsitals are primary affiliates of ccom where ccom students must choose to rotate for ob/gyn (these hospitals are non elective hospitals, students may choose to do electives here but these are mandatory ob/gyn rotation sites for ccom students)

Advocate Christ Hospital
Advocate Trinity Hospital
Little Company of Mary Hospital
Rockford Memorial Hospital
St. James Hospital/Olympia Fields & Chicago Heights
Swedish Covenant Hospital

try those, otherwise i would try loyola, uic hospitals, uchicago or northwestern

hope this helps

i think another reason why it is so difficult to rotate obgyn in chicago is because of the insane mal practice fees, chicago obgyn pay like 10 times the amount the average obgyn from some other part of the country pays...cook county is a bunch of money leeches

Have you tried Advcoate Lutheran General Hospital? I used to work there, and had three babies there, so I can vouch for the quality of their OB department (there was a student in my last c-section observing). I am not sure how they accept people for rotations there, but I hope to be able to do a rotation there in a few years. Fantastic hospital, fantastic doctors, level III nursery (my mom was a NICU nurse there for 15 years).