For those following along

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to wait and take my MCAT in the spring. I am a reinventor with 56 credits at a 3.89 GPA over the past two years (4 semesters).
My overall GPA is still under 3.0. I have a compelling story, great letters three of which are from DOs, and great ECs.
My MCAT practice tests have been consistently between 503 and 508. I feel like I am rushing things so I decided to take the year and study more for the MCAT and try and get a couple more points and be submitted for DO and MD early. Trying to be mature here and not rush and submit an application that is halfassed because I am rushing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Med schools aren't going anywhere, and more will have opened their doors by the time you apply.

I just wanted to get in. I didn't want to have to wait but I would rather take the year and not feel so rushed. I have been pulling 12 hour study days for the MCAT and I cant continue doing so right now with my current course loads so instead of trying to rush and have my application in basically late I figured I would just continue on in this marathon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do have a question, maybe for you @Goro . Should I continue taking more classes after this semester? I will be at the 3.89+ over 56 credit hours and will be graduating this semester. Would it be bad if I just focused on the MCAT or should I continue taking courses after I graduate?

I do have a question, maybe for you @Goro . Should I continue taking more classes after this semester? I will be at the 3.89+ over 56 credit hours and will be graduating this semester. Would it be bad if I just focused on the MCAT or should I continue taking courses after I graduate?
How many credits of A's would you need to get that 3.0?

Not happening lol. It would take ALOT. Goro says I don't need to get my GPA higher since I have demonstrated reinvention.
If more classes are not going to significantly change your GPA at this point then just focus on the MCAT. A 3-10 point increase due to having time because you did not take any classes is significantly better than anything you will gain from another semester of grades.

Reactions: 3 users
If more classes are not going to significantly change your GPA at this point then just focus on the MCAT. A 3-10 point increase due to having time because you did not take any classes is significantly better than anything you will gain from another semester of grades.

That's what I was leaning towards but I just was unsure. Thank you!

Focus on the MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
If you are scoring 503-508 consistently on your practice MCAT's, why not take it now?
It's not rushed, if you are prepared and are getting the right scores.

A higher MCAT (508+) won't help you go MD bc of your GPA situation.
And a 500+ will pretty much get you a spot.

If you are scoring 503-508 consistently on your practice MCAT's, why not take it now?
It's not rushed, if you are prepared and are getting the right scores.

A higher MCAT (508+) won't help you go MD bc of your GPA situation.
And a 500+ will pretty much get you a spot.

A higher MCAT can certainly open doors like potentially the SMP route for MD schools or receptive state schools.

A higher MCAT can certainly open doors like potentially the SMP route for MD schools or receptive state schools.
OP literally needs a 512 min to have a shot at MD, bc his GPA is quite poor (even for DO, so it's garbage for MD).
OP should probably focus on trying to get into top DO schools (MSUCOM, CCOM, PCOM, etc.).