For those of you starting PT school this fall...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlizzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone most nervous, excited, and scared for? I'm scared that I won't remember a lot of things I learned in undergrad and will feel extremely overwhelmed with all the info I'll have to retain. It's been over a year since my last observation experience and I don't want to seem stupid. :( I'm really excited though to dissect a cadaver. In my undergrad anatomy class we weren't able to, we were just showed where everything is on a body that was already dissected. I'm also excited to kind of have a fresh start in a new area, meet new people who understand my interests/goals, and be able to get individualized attention from professors... coming from Penn State where some classes had 300+ students, getting to know teachers was always hard to do!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not so much worried about anatomy, because I know I'll start recalling a lot of memorization from undergrad classes as I go. I'm honestly not too worried whatsoever about the rigor of PT school at the moment- I know that I'm capable of doing this. I'm following a 'cross that bridge when I get to it' mindset.

What's also helped keep me calm and not-worried is planning what my life will look like outside the classroom. I will have my own one-bedroom apartment (no roommates) a month before classes begin, so I am making it into a 'comfort zone' so to speak. At the end of 3 hour long classes, I want to be able to come home, relax in a quiet soothing environment, and prepare my brain for more studying. Lots of blue and green tones in my apartment and spa-scented Plug-Ins! (Apparently cool-colored tones are calming to the brain.) I'm also figuring out when cleaning and laundry days for me will be and chunks of time during the week where I can just chill and do fun things non-school related, such as going to the gym, seeing a movie, etc. For example, I've already determined that Sundays will be cooking days for me- I will make a week's worth of healthy lunches/dinners so it's ready to eat right after class or between classes. Nothing more exhausting than cooking after a grueling day at school!

I function best when I follow a very organized schedule. It greatly reduces my stress level and I feel that I'm accomplishing more. Considering that PT school will be more mentally and academically challenging than anything else, I want to make sure I take care of myself in other aspects of my life so I can perform the best I can academically.

dreamlife, you sound like you have everything figured out! I hope it works for you (and I mean that sincerely). Having time to yourself is a HUGE benefit, but it's challenging to find it...I think everyone should take an hour a day (or if that's too much, at least two hours per week) to do something totally unrelated to school just to keep themselves sane. For me, it was taking a ballet class on Saturday mornings. For others in my class, it was seeing a movie on Friday afternoons, or going to half priced margarita happy hour one day during the week. Keeping yourself organized will be extremely helpful. Just don't let school get you flustered.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am mostly concerned with getting my ducks in a row before school starts. My lease ends a week before classes start, so I am trying to find somewhere to live right now! I will be quitting my job, so I have a lot of things to finalize before I leave. The hardest transition for me will be financial. I am used to working a full-time job that pays well, so majorly cutting my expenses will drastically change my lifestyle. I am ready for it, but I will still miss having financial freedom. I am nervous that my school has still not sent out financial aid packages, so I have no clue what my COA is or what I will be living on each month. Once all the details get worked out, I am sure I will acclimate to school just fine.

Good luck to everyone!

DancerFutureDPT: Thank you! After perusing this board for the past year, I've gotten some really good ideas about what PT school is like on a daily basis. I know that if I don't think about this stuff now, it's just going to be overwhelming later on. I appreciate your suggestions!

I'm scared that I won't remember a lot of things I learned in undergrad and will feel extremely overwhelmed with all the info I'll have to retain.

This, but im willing to put in work

dlizzy, where are you going for PT school? (Just curious since you said you were from Penn State, I thought maybe you'd be going to a Pennsylvania school for PT too!)

I'm nervous to get started; it's been a year since I've been in a classroom (and that was just doing my pre-req work... it's been 4 years since I graduated undergrad) and I'm nervous that I'm the only "over-25" person in my class.

I'm excited to start my new life, as it involves me moving to a city I've always wanted to live in, and my boyfriend and I just bought our first home, so it's been really exciting to work on the house and I'm looking forward to being able to to see him on a regular basis (we currently live about an hour apart and have for most of our dating years).

But, I know that I am intelligent and that I can do this; so I know as soon as I get a couple days worth of classes under my belt, all my nervousness will disappear and I will be really happy about my decision. :)

I think I am nervous about the unknown, which is a blanket statement but it's true. The volume of coursework is something relatively unfamiliar to me, because in undergrad and even in my M.S. program were not not allowed to take more than 18cr. That was even frowned upon many times. So going from a 4-5 class schedule to a 8-9/10 class schedule will take some getting used to. I also would like to be around ppl who are "interested and passionate" about the learning experience. For me, it takes the edge off of the extremely challenging material because I "feel" that we are all in it together if we are actually "all in". Hope that makes sense! I am also uncertain that I won't want more once PT school is done. I am a human body "junky", and there are always things to be learned and discovered even after DPT school. Finally, I am anxious to find a job that will compensate me with what I think I will be worth once I am done. We all have and will continue to invest a lot of time and money into this endeavor, and while that is not a pre-req to landing the dream job, one can only hope that our hard work will pay off in the future!

On another note, I am glad to be moved into my apt in MN a while before classes start so that I can somewhat integrate myself into the neighborhood and people while getting to know my surroundings better. I also need to get my walking routes down for class everyday!;)

I think I am nervous about the unknown, which is a blanket statement but it's true.

Ox, you hit the nail on the head with me! It IS the unknown that is always scary- but once we "know" I can't wait to start swapping stories about school :)

dreamlife- very impressed with your organization! That's a great idea you have about cooking, I know what you mean about making a meal after a long day. I might have to steal your idea and cook on Sundays too.

markelmarcel- you're right haha, I'm going to Gannon. I applied to Chatham and it was my top choice since it's about 25 min from my house, but I got waitlisted. Soo jealous of you! And I agree, I'm excited to exchange stories after we all start :)

markelmarcel- you're right haha, I'm going to Gannon. I applied to Chatham and it was my top choice since it's about 25 min from my house, but I got waitlisted. Soo jealous of you! And I agree, I'm excited to exchange stories after we all start :)

Oh man!!! That would've been so cool if we had been classmates, but I had a friend who went to Gannon for her undergrad and LOVED it. :)

Ox, you hit the nail on the head with me! It IS the unknown that is always scary- but once we "know" I can't wait to start swapping stories about school :)

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that are SDN posts are going to decrease dramatically come late August? I really want to stay engaged in the interesting "convos" we have on here, but it is going to be crazy come late August! I still can't wait to hear the differences in programs and collaborate with you guys about being SPTs in a little while!

Ox777, I believe that will be unavoidable! At least for the first few weeks/months as we acclimate to the coursework, courseload, and shifting of our priorities and daily schedule!

As for me, I got a "draft" of the schedule for TWU and it's ALL over the place. One week is unlike the other and it's crazy. I wonder how they work out these schedules! And although it's officially only 15 credit hours, this semester looks like it'll be packed, especially after looking at the booklist we received, which has like 4-5 required texts for one class...

And since I'll be unemployed for the first time during school, I'm pretty anxious about my financial situation for the next 3 years! Time for some major cutbacks... >.<

Ox777, I believe that will be unavoidable! At least for the first few weeks/months as we acclimate to the coursework, courseload, and shifting of our priorities and daily schedule!

As for me, I got a "draft" of the schedule for TWU and it's ALL over the place. One week is unlike the other and it's crazy. I wonder how they work out these schedules! And although it's officially only 15 credit hours, this semester looks like it'll be packed, especially after looking at the booklist we received, which has like 4-5 required texts for one class...

And since I'll be unemployed for the first time during school, I'm pretty anxious about my financial situation for the next 3 years! Time for some major cutbacks... >.<

Goyo,

I am definitely feeling the build up of school starting at the end of next month. We have not received our book list yet, but we have received our class schedule for the Fall 2011 semester as well as our finals schedule. All I can do is SMH and laugh, because our schedule is literally setup like a typical work day schedule. 8am-12pm class, then lunch from 12-1, and finally class from 1-5pm. I like it because it will hopefully prepare for a regular work day once its time to work!

On another note, I think people often forget about cost of living expenses. Yes, you obviously pay tuition, but what about rent, food, car expenses(doesn't apply to me right now but still), cable/internet, utilities, etc. It quickly adds up, and even if your tuition is cheap(relatively speaking) a person could certainly rack up 30-75K in living expenses over 3 years depending on which area you live. I look forward to things working out for all of us in the end, but time will tell!

I'm pretty much with ya'll. I'm scared that I might not have it in me. I'm a go-getter, and have been burning a candle at both ends all throughout undergrad. I'm afraid of burnout. I'm so afraid of it that I didn't even take time off from undergrad from fear of not being able to jump back into the game. I'm scared about moving away from my comfort zone; I went to school in the same city I grew up in, and now I am leaving 22 years of friends and family to go to a HUGE city where I know no one, save classmates that I have 'researched' on facebook.

But on the other end, I am SO FLIPPIN' excited. I'm eager to learn all the techniques I see therapists I work with do on a daily basis, I want to get my hands on people! haha. I'm sure the first few weeks will be hard adjusting, but I think after the initial culture shock of grad school in general, everything will be OK. :) Good luck to all of you! I too, look forward to sharing stories

Which Campus are you at? I hear you about the schedule being all over the place, but I think we will fall into a routine. The book list is staggering and I hope that we don't need to carry all those books all the time. Still after being so busy with undergrad stuff then off for the entire summer I am looking forward to being busy again.

Did you know there is a Facebook Group for both the Dallas and Houston campuses. In Dallas we are having an informal potluck get together as a meet and greet.