For those of you w/ forein undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am getting conflicting info on U of Texas schools. Does any one know if their 90 credit requirement for people w/ foreign UG has to be all undergraduate or can it be a combo of UG+graduate level credits?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am getting conflicting info on U of Texas schools. Does any one know if their 90 credit requirement for people w/ foreign UG has to be all undergraduate or can it be a combo of UG+graduate level credits?
Sorry this is still haunting you. You might try to PM davesnow10. He had a foreign undergrad (U.K.) and he was applying as a Texas resident. He's in an allopathic school outside of Texas and I know that Texas gave him a hard time.

Sorry this is still haunting you. You might try to PM davesnow10. He had a foreign undergrad (U.K.) and he was applying as a Texas resident. He's in an allopathic school outside of Texas and I know that Texas gave him a hard time.

Thanks, Scottish Chap. I will contact him. I am not too concerned about TX at this point because I am OOS anyways for TX schools.

I am finding out that a lot of schools are nicer after I tell them that I did complete a couple of graduate degrees in the US and repeated all of the pre-reqs. I guess it makes sense because it will be easier for them to process my application. At this point I am still cautiously optimistic since I still need to score well in the MCAT.

I am wondering if I should even bother entering my foreign UG courses on AMCAAS. What do you suggest? If AMCAAS does not process the foreign grades, would they care whether I entered them or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Scottish Chap. I will contact him. I am not too concerned about TX at this point because I am OOS anyways for TX schools.

I am finding out that a lot of schools are nicer after I tell them that I did complete a couple of graduate degrees in the US and repeated all of the pre-reqs. I guess it makes sense because it will be easier for them to process my application. At this point I am still cautiously optimistic since I still need to score well in the MCAT.

I am wondering if I should even bother entering my foreign UG courses on AMCAAS. What do you suggest? If AMCAAS does not process the foreign grades, would they care whether I entered them or not?

Please read this:http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2009apptips.pdf
It is the policy of AMCAS for foreign credits. If you can transfer your foreign credits to a local USA university, AMCAS can verify those credits and put it into your GPA.
If you want more information, you may call AMCAS.

Please read this:http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2009apptips.pdf
It is the policy of AMCAS for foreign credits. If you can transfer your foreign credits to a local USA university, AMCAS can verify those credits and put it into your GPA.
If you want more information, you may call AMCAS.

Thanks! This really helps. My grades were transferred over to the university where I did the pre-reqs. I will follow these instructions.

I am in the same boat as you. I have an undergraduate degree from India.. and two masters degrees from here... Texas resident...Finishing the prerequisites..

I called AAMC, they said they do not need the transcripts from India...as long as those credits are not transferred to US/Canadian Institution.... I called TMDSAS and they said I can send them a copy of the personal transcripts that I have. They did not need the official transcript. It will not be included in the GPA..

You can opt out form entering the grades in the AAMC application. I was thinking it will be same in TMDSAS application also.

But for the 90 UG credit hours .. it is at the discretion of the schools..like UT Houston wants to see 90 UNDERGRADUATE hours form US/Canadian institution..I talked to the admission dean @ UT Houston... But other schools were not consistent..A&M, Texas tech..

I will be applying to all Texas schools..

I am in the same boat as you. I have an undergraduate degree from India.. and two masters degrees from here... Texas resident...Finishing the prerequisites..

I called AAMC, they said they do not need the transcripts from India...as long as those credits are not transferred to US/Canadian Institution.... I called TMDSAS and they said I can send them a copy of the personal transcripts that I have. They did not need the official transcript. It will not be included in the GPA..

You can opt out form entering the grades in the AAMC application. I was thinking it will be same in TMDSAS application also.

But for the 90 UG credit hours .. it is at the discretion of the schools..like UT Houston wants to see 90 UNDERGRADUATE hours form US/Canadian institution..I talked to the admission dean @ UT Houston... But other schools were not consistent..A&M, Texas tech..

I will be applying to all Texas schools..
UT Southwest (I think it is in Dallas area if I remember correctly) gave me the most positive responses so far. I might add just that one to my list.

I think the slight difference between yours and my case is that I actually enrolled in a UG program:sleep: (that I don't plan to finish unless I can't get into med schools w/o it). So, all my credits from India are transferred. I am not sure if this is helpful or not.

As to getting the transcripts directly from India, most schools said that they might ask for it as a last step once I am granted admission but not till then. I plan to send out the WES conversions regardless.

As others said, AMCAS is pretty clear about not verifying foreign grades. I can only tell you what I did. I basically ignored the fact that they don't want foreign transcripts. I requested that my overseas university send the transcript to AMCAS and I also shelled out for the professionally evaluated transcript to be sent to AMCAS. I entered the evaluated grades on the form. AMCAS did not verify those grades, but they did leave them on the final form that gets sent to schools. Maybe I got lucky, maybe it helped, maybe medical schools didn't care.....I'll never know.

I think the slight difference between yours and my case is that I actually enrolled in a UG program:sleep: (that I don't plan to finish unless I can't get into med schools w/o it). So, all my credits from India are transferred. I am not sure if this is helpful or not.
This is the best situation without repeating an entire U.S. undergraduate degree. I wouldn't worry. With a decent MCAT, you're good to go.

As others said, AMCAS is pretty clear about not verifying foreign grades. I can only tell you what I did. I basically ignored the fact that they don't want foreign transcripts. I requested that my overseas university send the transcript to AMCAS and I also shelled out for the professionally evaluated transcript to be sent to AMCAS. I entered the evaluated grades on the form. AMCAS did not verify those grades, but they did leave them on the final form that gets sent to schools. Maybe I got lucky, maybe it helped, maybe medical schools didn't care.....I'll never know.

Wow! You obviously did not leave any loose ends. I guess I will do what you did and I will also add the transferred credits under my U.S. University where I am registered as an UG. Not all of them were transferred even though a good number of them did (117/132).

This is the best situation without repeating an entire U.S. undergraduate degree. I wouldn't worry. With a decent MCAT, you're good to go.
I understand what you are saying but on my transcript for this new undergrad, I only see the following line:
- - - - - Transfer Credits - - - - -
Transfer Credit from XXXXXXXX (India)
Semester Credits Transferred : 117.50

Transfer Credit from University of YYYYYYY (Michigan)
Semester Credits Transferred : 4.00

----------------------------------------------------------
In other words, my current U did not list the individual courses on the unofficial transcript that I can view.

I will contact AMCAAS but I am wondering what your thoughts on this.
Sincerely,
Deepa

I understand what you are saying but on my transcript for this new undergrad, I only see the following line:

In other words, my current U did not list the individual courses on the unofficial transcript that I can view.

Sincerely,
Deepa

I am pretty sure Med Schools in Texas( and maybe all of the US allopathic schools, though there might be a exceptions that I am not aware of) do not accept lump sum credits like you mentioned. Just call em up like you mentioned they are pretty nice over the phone.

Also, I would recommend against sending AMCAS any foreign transcripts because they wont know the first thing about them and may just end up confusing them. Make sure to mark the box for "transcript not required" or whatever they have for your school from India because if you don’t they would just sit on your completed AMCAS which might delay processing of your application.

On a side note, You know what your qualifications are, just fill out the AMCAS precisely the way they want you to and if you have strong feelings about your academic record that AMCAS cant include just get in touch with the schools you are interested in and find out how they want you to proceed. Just remember that AMCAS is just an application service and they just put you in the queue, what really determines your fate is you and the med school you are applying to.

I am pretty sure Med Schools in Texas( and maybe all of the US allopathic schools, though there might be a exceptions that I am not aware of) do not accept lump sum credits like you mentioned. Just call em up like you mentioned they are pretty nice over the phone.

Also, I would recommend against sending AMCAS any foreign transcripts because they wont know the first thing about them and may just end up confusing them. Make sure to mark the box for "transcript not required" or whatever they have for your school from India because if you don’t they would just sit on your completed AMCAS which might delay processing of your application.

On a side note, You know what your qualifications are, just fill out the AMCAS precisely the way they want you to and if you have strong feelings about your academic record that AMCAS cant include just get in touch with the schools you are interested in and find out how they want you to proceed. Just remember that AMCAS is just an application service and they just put you in the queue, what really determines your fate is you and the med school you are applying to.

Hey, Guys,
Please take a look at page 6 of AMCAS policy on foreign coursewor:http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2009apptips.pdf
My understanding is AMCAS will verify the foriegn credits transfered to and accepted by a USA university. AMCAS will not verify any un-transfered credits.
If AMCAS will not accept the foreign credits under any circumstance, why it bother to differenciate the transfered and untransfered credits under different sections 2 and 3?

Sincerely,
Deepa

Have you talked with the U about that?
If they accepted your foreign credits and put them into your final GPA, why they can not list the individual course?

Please read pages 70 & 71 of the AMCAS instructions of foreign credits :http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2009instructionmanual.pdf

You must have your University to assign a grade for each course on your official transcript.

Yes, That is the most critical part. Which is not easy to achieve. The only people i know who have had their US institution give credit to thier individual foreign classes had some kind of deal in place before they actually took those courses in a foreign country which i do not think is the case with the original poster.

I'm in the same boat,foreign degree,I'm just wondering if you start a master's here does it mean all your undrgrad credits are transferred?:confused:

I'm in the same boat,foreign degree,I'm just wondering if you start a master's here does it mean all your undrgrad credits are transferred?:confused:
No, graduate credits are treated as separate entities for the purposes of medical school application credentials. U.S. graduate schools don't give you the same issues about foreign undergraduate work compared to medical schools. Case in point: Admissions Director (M.D.) at a respected state school asked me why my graduate school (whose reputation he said he respected) did not have an issue with me having a foreign undergraduate degree. I knew it was not a good sign.....