For those of you who scored high on the MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to study for the MCAT for the THIRD time (my score went down the second time I took it). I've taken Kaplan and have used just about everything in their library. This time, I just want to get some good books to review, along with AAMC practice tests. Can any one suggest what they think are the best books?? I've heard good things about Examkrackers and am thinking of getting their books. PLEASE any advice you guys can give!! I'm so sick of this test and have run out of ways to study for it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was quite impressed with the Examkrackers series. I used the subject books for Bio, Chem, Organic, and Phys. I liked the fact that they attempted to instill an intuitive approach to the concepts presented. My only complaint is that occasionally a sentence or paragraph was worded so horribly that it hardly made any sense (but don't let that be a deterrent).
To top it all off, I used AAMC Exams 2-6. In the end, I did exceptionally well on the real thing, so I guess the Examkcrackers didn't hurt.

Berkeley review far and away has the most in depth books. check out <a href="http://www.berkeley-review.com" target="_blank">www.berkeley-review.com</a> (I think that's right)

Oh yeah, there verbal isn't that good at all. But the rest of the books are great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used TPR stuff. They have tons of passages and some of them are impossible. Of course knowing your stuff is important, but even more so is doing as many as you can get your hands on.

Man, 3rd time! I wish you the best.

FYI, for mcat study techniques look at previous posts under my profile.

For the sciences I used the Kaplan, Flowers & Silver, and ARCO review books (old ones) that I checked out of the library. I used the AAMC practice tests to find my weak spots. For the verbal section I got every single test-prep book that contained reading comprehension passages in them (GRE, DAT, OAT, LSAT, GMAT, VCAT, etc.) and did hundreds of reading comprehension passages.

I took TPR and did great. I was doing ten billion things and couldn't do all the HW, but if you can manage to do it all I think you are set. I have MCAT books to sell if interested.

Years ago...I had all that stuff, but I really only used TPR. Kaplan and Berkeley review just had way too much information for me--I think if you just know the basics and practice, practice, practice those test questions, you will get better at looking for the correct answer.

Knowing how to take this test is much more important than knowing 100% of the material--just as it is for any test. Good luck.

after diligent thread searching...

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012648" target="_blank">MCAT 33+ What Prep Materials Did You Use??? </a>

Count how many hours you study!! I'm serious. So many people I know (including myself) fall into this trap where they think they are studying hours a day when they are actually not (potty break here, coffee brake there, etc... those "little breaks" may seem like nothing, but they really add up. Time yourself. Write down how many hours you are actually studying. I think the average person should study at least 200 hrs over 3 months.

Good luck :)