For those passing the time until the next cycle via grad school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrimalMU

Mississippi c/o 2014
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you rather apply next year half-way through a grad program, or finish the grad program before you apply again? I'm sure I already know the answer, haha, but was just a bit curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I know if I didn't apply in the middle, I'd always wonder if I could have gotten in then? I'm no help at all.

I guess I would feel hesitant to put all my eggs in one basket you know? I'd rather have two chances of getting in then just one at the end of grad school and hope that one shot worked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean in the middle of a 2 year program, and not finish the program?

Because that's generally a big no-no. The masters, and the vet schools, both frown upon that.

If it's a 1 year program, by all means, I would apply! Maybe just to a few schools, but still. Why not? (if you can afford it, anyway.) Especially to schools that wait and look at fall grades before making any decisions!

I considered grad school and decided not to go that route because I could not find a one-year program and it really is bad juju (and bad manners!) to leave halfway through a masters degree.

Because that's generally a big no-no. The masters, and the vet schools, both frown upon that.

Essentially this. If it's a coursework based degree that you're paying for it's probably no big deal, but if a department and professor invest their time and money in you in a thesis-based research Masters and you ditch after a year...let's just say you better hope you don't plan on needing a rec letter from anyone there again. It's not at all the same as starting an undergraduate degree and not finishing.

Vet schools know this too, by the way.

I'd also like to add that I think it's a really bad idea to approach grad school with the idea of "passing the time."

Yeah, go to grad school to improve your application, if that would help. But grad school is a huge commitment of time and energy (not only yours) so that really rubs me the wrong way. I know this is just an online forum so we should take this with the humor that was probably intended, but...just a thought :).

Essentially this. If it's a coursework based degree that you're paying for it's probably no big deal, but if a department and professor invest their time and money in you in a thesis-based research Masters and you ditch after a year...let's just say you better hope you don't plan on needing a rec letter from anyone there again. It's not at all the same as starting an undergraduate degree and not finishing.

Vet schools know this too, by the way.

Totally true, I know CSU actually requires a letter from your thesis adviser stating you would complete your graduate program by the time you would matriculate in order to be considered for the DVM program for that exact reason. I'm sure there are other vet schools that would require something like this too.

There are a lot of schools that will not let you into vet school if you're in the middle of a 2 year program. I am just finishing a 2 year MS program right now and applied to vet school this last cycle. U of I, Mizzou, and Minnesota (I think...I can't remember if it was MN or TN) required my advisor to send a letter stating that she knew I was applying and that she was ok with it. I think that having my grad degree helped A LOT for getting into vet school (I got interviews at the 4 schools I applied to and got accepted to my top choice), but it IS a lot of hard work. I wouldn't apply to grad school unless you're willing to put in the time and effort of another 2 years of schooling.

Exactly that. However, its a Medical Sciences program designed specifically for pre-med (and in my case pre-vet) students who want to strengthen their application. It's not a thesis-based 2 year masters degree.

Speak with someone and make 100% sure it's okay. If so, that sounds like a pretty good plan. I ended up deciding to do a second bachelors in a year, which is doable here since it only needs 30 hours if all requirements are filled by your other degree. I hope it looks nice for vet school if I nail the 16 hour courseload this fall, and if not, it's off to grad school for me. *shrug*

I am just about to finish my first year in my non thesis masters of physiology program (its a 1.5 to 2 year program depending on the courseload you take on). It also is designed for pre med, pre vet, pre dental etc students who want to strengthen their application. I did apply this past fall and am currently on the waitlist at my IS school. I figure if I dont get off the waitlist, I will just finish the program and apply again this upcoming fall. I may even try and talk to someone about how to finish up my program while in vet school if I do get off the waitlist. I have learned so much in my program that I am happy I did it because I feel much more confident and prepared for vet school because my coursework has been very demanding and challenging. Good luck in whatever you decide!

I recommend getting a MS. It was the best thing I did. I think it really prepared me for vet school and helped my application by boosting my GPA. The MS classes were interesting, challenging, and some were taken out at the vet school so those will be repeats in first year... first year is going to be much easier because of all the hard work I have put in already.
However, finishing the MS was a lot of hard work (no cake walk by any means) and I was not able to be accepted in the middle of my MS work. If you are open to the idea of waiting those 2 years before applying again definitely go for it. After finishing you will definitely be prepared for the rigors of vet school, have an extra degree to fall back on, and will have significantly improved your application.
Good luck with your decision and your future application!

This might be a silly question, but.......
If it's frowned upon by the grad program & the vet schools to ditch half way through a program (say a 2 year MS program), and the vet schools require a letter from your Prof. saying that they know you're applying
---- then the vet schools know you are basically unable to attend the following school year -- so why would they let you in? Or, do they let you in under the assumption that you plan to defer for a year?

I think people were saying they had to submit a letter to apply even for after their second year.

Yes, I had to submit a letter when I applied to CSU even though I was graduating in spring = '09 and would have started that fall. Here's an exerpt from their website...

"Graduate Program Release Letter - If you are an applicant who is enrolled in a graduate program, you must submit a release letter (at the time of application submission) to Colorado State from your major advisor or department head indicating approval of your application to the professional program in veterinary medicine and that a satisfactory arrangement has been made regarding your graduate program. Accepted graduate students will be admitted provisionally, pending receipt by July 15, for evidence of completion of, or release from, graduate studies. Please email the letter to [email protected]."

so then are you "allowed" to apply to a vet program starting part way through your graduate school program?

So, I guess what I'm thinking, is ... I am starting a MS program Fall 2010, it's a 2 year thesis based program. It was suggested that I re-apply this next cycle, for the vet class starting 2011. I have no intention of leaving my MS early, and would defer for a year if accepted.
If I get rejected, then when I re-apply for the third time (post MS degree) I would look super dedicated to getting into vet school.
But is it even an option to apply if I won't be graduating in time to start that school year?

Sorry if I'm talking in circles.......this stuff drives me nutts!

so then are you "allowed" to apply to a vet program starting part way through your graduate school program?

So, I guess what I'm thinking, is ... I am starting a MS program Fall 2010, it's a 2 year thesis based program. It was suggested that I re-apply this next cycle, for the vet class starting 2011. I have no intention of leaving my MS early, and would defer for a year if accepted.
If I get rejected, then when I re-apply for the third time (post MS degree) I would look super dedicated to getting into vet school.
But is it even an option to apply if I won't be graduating in time to start that school year?

Sorry if I'm talking in circles.......this stuff drives me nutts!

I think you are "allowed" to but like Nyanko said, its really frowned upon. Also, I don't think that many schools allow you to defer so you might limit the schools you can apply to because of that reason. I could be wrong about that though. I personally wouldn't apply unless I inteded on going. It would have been REALLY hard for me to turn down an acceptance if I had applied between my 2 years of grad school but that's just me.

Yeah - I completely agree that it would be next to impossible to turn down an acceptance. It's just one of the many suggestions that I've gotten on how to improve & I was trying to figure out if I should do it or not.....lookin like not.

Thanks!!! :)

You run the risk of looking like you're not dedicated to your graduate studies, though. Personally, I think you'll look just as dedicated to vet school if you don't apply after your first year.

Also, at UCD, both the grad coordinator and my thesis adviser made it absolutely clear that I was going to make a 2 year commitment to the program. Who gave you the advice to apply during your first year? I doubt my adviser would have even been able to write me a rec letter for the 2013 cycle anyway even if she had been willing - she simply hadn't worked with me long enough. It was well worth it to me to wait the extra year. Not only did I get into UCD, but I got an amazing fellowship offer that I could only have dreamed about 2 years ago for a Ph.D. program. There's no way that even a year ago I would have been competitive for these things...

Thanks nyanko! I think you're right :)
Yeah, it wasn't an adviser that suggested applying then, just random suggestions from current vet students & other pre-vet kids.