1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

For those that have been in Summer Research Programs...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Vanguard23, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Vanguard23

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Namely formal ones provided by medical schools and such:
    What exactly are the programs like? How is the research conducted? How stressful is the whole thing? I'm trying to get a familiarity of what exactly I might be getting myself into.

2. Moniker

Moniker Member
    5+ Year Member

RFU has a summer research fellowship program. the program is publicized to students sometime in the spring. they send out a list of research advisors (research faculty who are willing to take a summer research fellow) with their contact info and area of research, who you then contact to discuss a project, but if you have someone else in mind on faculty, you can do one with them as well. you come up with an idea for a short project that can be completed over the summer (mid May-end of july), at the end of which you prepare and present a poster at a poster presentation session in the fall. mid-summer there is a meet-and-greet picnic for all participants, and weekly (optional) research-related seminars are conducted by faculty, on topics ranging from animal protocols to publishing.

when you have a project in mind, together with your advisor you draft a proposal and submit it, after which you will hear back whether it's approved (they all pretty much are, since there are more spots than student fellows). it comes with a $4000 grant stipend for the summer. your role, autonomy, level of involvement, etc. is all up to you and your advisor.