For those who have been on interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was it possible to schedule them so that they didn't effect your classes? Were your professors willing to make any exceptions for you during this process? I'm a little worried that if I don't get in I'll have even lower grades the next time around. Arg, this stuff stresses me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Zoom-Zoom said:
Was it possible to schedule them so that they didn't effect your classes? Were your professors willing to make any exceptions for you during this process? I'm a little worried that if I don't get in I'll have even lower grades the next time around. Arg, this stuff stresses me out.

I'm assuming you'll be a senior next year. So if you are in upper level classes they will likely let you know what you can do to make up the material.

And even in other classes if you let the professors know ahead of time they are more than willing to accommodate you.

One thing to keep in mind when scheduling interviews....some schools offer you a certain date and if you can't make it, the next date may be significantly later (like a month later) which could affect your application if it is an especially competitive rolling school. Thus you may have to bite the bullet and go to your scheduled interview date and miss class.

In any event, as long as you don't fail any classes, your grades for senior year especially second semester are almost inconsequential if you interview in the fall.

Good luck on this year's application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zoom-Zoom said:

Depends on both questions. Some schools give you significantly more freedom in determining your interview date. And some professors are much more understanding than others. Most of mine didn't care, but I had one junior year who made it very clear on the first day that make-up tests would not be given if you missed an exam for an interview. Of course, we knew when all the tests would be and such, and he really didn't care if you missed any other class. Like I said, it really just depends on the situation. I was lucky and was able to schedule two of mine over winter break, so they didn't interfere with class at all :)

Regardless of what professors say about being in classes, most schools include interviews as valid reasons for missing classes. So even if your professor gives you a hard time about missing class for an interview, talk to the department head, or somebody higher up, explain your situation, and chances are you'll be fine. Pending you don't purposely schedule all your interviews on days you have tests. :laugh:

I haven't actually been on any interviews yet, but I just thought I'd let you know that I already am scheduled for 2. OSU picked my date for me, but luckily it was a Monday and I have no classes that day. Pitt then let me pick my date so I picked the Friday before my OSU one so I could just travel over a long weekend (no Friday classes, either!).

I got lucky with my class schedule and my interviews so far, but I AM worried about what will happen if I get Tuesday/Thursday interviews because I'll miss ALL my classes. Hopefully my luck will continue working like it has so far...

Good luck to you, though! I think most professors will be understanding--after all, this is your future we're talking about here. And if they do give you a hard time, talk to your adviser or the pre-med department to see if there is anything you can do about it. It wouldn't be fair for your grades to suffer because you were assigned an interview date that causes you to miss classes.

Erina said:
I got lucky with my class schedule and my interviews so far, but I AM worried about what will happen if I get Tuesday/Thursday interviews because I'll miss ALL my classes.

Anyone know anything about Funday interviews? :laugh:

:confused: I also don't think I've heard anyone get interviews on a weekend, but i know nothing.

I attempted to schedule my classes so that I had open days where I could go on interviews. I was lucky enough to arrange my schedule so I had no classes on Mon or Wed, and would use the Mon off-day for as many out of town interviews as I could, so that I could fly in on Sunday afternoon/evening and be fresh and ready for the next day. The Wed was good for interviews I could drive or take public transportation to (I'm in Chicago). It was also nice to have those days off since I could for the most part focus completely on my interviews without having to worry about where I needed to be at what time,etc. Of course, there were times I had to miss class, etc for interviews since some schools will only give you one specific day, but usually profs are pretty understanding about it - especially if they enounter a lot of students who apply to med school. Bottom line is, unfortunately there will be some a$$es who won't let you make up stuff. But the best piece of advice I can give about having to miss - LET YOUR PROFS KNOW BEFOREHAND!!!! The one thing profs absolutely HATE is when you know weeks in advance but only let them know a day or two before. It looks irresponsible and immature and makes them not want to be helpful/lenient with you. If you let them know in advance, however, I find they tend to be much more appreciative and accomodating.

All professors and interviewing schools are different. Some schools basically just told you the date of your interview (via mail, email, whatever) and some schools had you log into a password protected site and schedule your own interview. I'm sure you know already-all professors are different, but you would be surprised at how understanding many professors can be. Keep your attendance and grades up in your classes-so when/if you *do* need to ask your professor to miss a class/exam, they recognize your face and can be a little more sympathetic. Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Zoom zoom!!
M6 from So Cal here. =P

Now back to your thread.