For those who have been successful...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_juvi

dr_juvirod
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's my story. Sorry if this is long but I need some advice. Started college in Fall 2003...decided to go towards a Biology Major ( I had this idea stuck in my head that only Bio majors got into med school). My first semester I took Bio 1 and Chem 1, along with 3 other basic classes. Dropped one of those basics (English class) and stayed with just 4 classes. By the end of my first semester I had FAILED EVERY CLASS. (I had one of the worst experiences ever in my first two years of college :( ). Basically had a 0.00 GPA. Came back my spring semester under academic probation, only allowed 4 classes in which I did well had a solid 3.0 for that semester) By the Fall of 2004 I had a 1.9 cum GPA (my 2nd year) and was on continued probation. I was allowed to retake one of the sciences over and the F would be erased so I decided to take the BIO 1 over....got a D..not because I didn't understand but cuz had a "depression relapse", didn't study and HATED the professor (it might sound very common but I had some horrible experiences during my first two years, personal battles, deaths, etc.) Went into my Spring 2005 semester, decided to take BIO 2 ended up withdrawing because I couldn't take the stress (ended having to go to a shrink :( ) Basically I was only enrolled in 3 classes (one of them being an upper level economics class, which is a requirement for my new major, International Studies and did great!) Ended up with a 3.3 GPA for the semester. So my GPA went from a 1.9 to a 2.23 cum. Taking a summer class and if all goes well my GPA will go from a 2.23 to a 2.8ish.
Now I've decided to go ahead and do a formal post-bacc (looking into CUNY's post-bacc since I'm from NYC and poor lol) when I graduate. Basically what I'm trying to do is get some advice from people who have either gone through the same stuff, are going through it, etc. I know I can do the sciences, it was just the wrong time (I'm very impatient and always wanted to do everything at once in a rush..I've grown a lot since then). I understand the stuff and I don't want the F and D in the two sciences that I do have to bring my science GPA down after the post-bacc work. I want to go to an allo school..not cuz I don't respect the DO schools, it's just not my thing. Trust me at one point I had decided to not pursue medical school, I started looking at other careers, but when I see the rewards and the prestige of it all I'm just drawn right back in. I haven't had the proper advice from the student advisors at school (CUZ THEY ARE HORRIBLE). My chem teacher did tell me that I do have the potential to get A's because he saw that I understood what he taught. Any advice, would be great...thanks a bunch you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that if you truly dedicate yourself and are aware of the long road you've put yourself on that it's all in your hands. The only thing I would say is that every semester here on out is crucial to your success. If you truly have matured then you have to let the numbers back you up on this. Good luck.