for those who have taken the kaplan DAT course..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, is the class really worth it?

Secondly, seeing as how they would provide the kaplan blue book to you in the course, what other books would you guys recommend for DAT prep?

Also, would MCAT review books help with DAT studying? I've heard mixed reviews from friends, so I'd like to get some more opinions if possible.

Thanks for the help guys.

cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

you should check out the DAT forum, It will have all the information you're looking for.

a really and very stupid mistake is to take the kaplan class

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, is the class really worth it?

Secondly, seeing as how they would provide the kaplan blue book to you in the course, what other books would you guys recommend for DAT prep?

Also, would MCAT review books help with DAT studying? I've heard mixed reviews from friends, so I'd like to get some more opinions if possible.

Thanks for the help guys.

cheers.

I took Kaplan and found most of it helpful. The online subject and practice tests are worth the money. I have heard mixed reviews about the on-site class. I had a great experience, but my Kaplan course was through a post-bac program that provided instruction that was way more in depth than the normal course. Others have thought the on-site class was crap.

I also reviewed old notes and my texts. The ADA recommended reference list is a good place to start. The ADA doesn't recommend reference texts just for the hell of it. There were MANY similarities between the information in Biology (Campbell and Reece) and questions in the bio section.;)

DAT Achiever was also a good resource and was money well spent. I took the full length tests, reviewed my scoring report, noted my weaknesses, and then went back and studied the areas in which I was weak.

I have no idea about MCAT guides.

I took Kaplan and found most of it helpful. The online subject and practice tests are worth the money. I have heard mixed reviews about the on-site class. I had a great experience, but my Kaplan course was through a post-bac program that provided instruction that was way more in depth than the normal course. Others have thought the on-site class was crap.

I also reviewed old notes and my texts. The ADA recommended reference list is a good place to start. The ADA doesn't recommend reference texts just for the hell of it. There were MANY similarities between the information in Biology (Campbell and Reece) and questions in the bio section.;)

DAT Achiever was also a good resource and was money well spent. I took the full length tests, reviewed my scoring report, noted my weaknesses, and then went back and studied the areas in which I was weak.

I have no idea about MCAT guides.

bjhath,
could you copy and paste the website for ADA recommendations? the link didn't work for me.

Personal experience...Kaplan Course was a complete waste of time and money. Unless, that is, you have no study habit, know absolutely nothing about the DAT and are terrible with timed tests...

Last edited:
In 2007 I took the DAT and got 19TS/20/AA/20PA. Although average scores I needed to do better because my GPA is low. So, I took Kaplan and got 24/24/21. That's gotta say something. But I'm the type of person that likes material to be taught to me instead of just reading through a text book. Just food for thought.

i thought that the kaplan course was complete bs... the course intructors didnt even know what they were talking about...they spent more time on the simplest things and when came time to cover the more complex topics, they flew by them... or maybe i just had a bad instructor..
i think instead you should just sign up for their online practice material and study from their blue book... the time you would waste going to class, you can utilize it studying on your own... just my 2 cents =)

In 2007 I took the DAT and got 19TS/20/AA/20PA. Although average scores I needed to do better because my GPA is low. So, I took Kaplan and got 24/24/21. That's gotta say something. But I'm the type of person that likes material to be taught to me instead of just reading through a text book. Just food for thought.

WOW!!!! That's awesome that you scored that high!!! :thumbup:

I'm signing up today :scared: for the Online-Live class. This way I get to stay home and watch the class and rewind or watch things over. Also if I have a question, I can email the professor. If I don't make it to the scheduele time, I can always watch when I can. It's perfect for me since I have kids....

It's $200 off until today, but they may keep extending the offer since the economy is slow.

I'm starting next week.

It depends on your preference and your studying habits. I believe the Kaplan material is a good foundation to start but will not get you anything more than just average scores. Honestly though, if you can sit down yourself and study from the Kaplan DAT book you don't need to sign up for courses.

The classroom course was alright but the online material was excellent. My teacher was good but he basically just went over a book we received before the class started (which is probably what Kaplan wants the teacher to do). If you can read on your own and watch lecture material online with things your having trouble with, then just the online course would be all that is needed as far as Kaplan goes. Like others have said though, if you have trouble sitting yourself down and doing the work then you better do the classroom course for that extra motivation.

I took the Kaplan classroom course last summer. All of the online materials are highly useful - I found it to be excellent practice. The book is alright, but it doesn't cover everything you might be asked - although no one source does. The classroom itself was a waste of time & gas money. My teacher really didn't know any of the material that wasn't directly in front of her (and some of what was, she still didn't understand).

If I did things over, I'd just sign up for the online classroom. I still went to each class to ensure I'd have the guarantee if I did badly on my second DAT, but it was seriously a waste of time that would have been better spent studying on my own.

The online practice tests and workshops, however, were helpful. They're not perfect, and not the closest thing to the DAT (I found Top Score Pro to be more representative), but it's still good practice.

This was my experience. I think the teacher really makes the dclassroom experience, for better or worse.

My DAT went from 17/17/19 to 20/21/22, although this certainly can't entirely be attributed to Kaplan. I studied like it was going out of style this time around.

kAPLAND IS A PIECE OF $H*T. DON'T WASTE MONEY ON TAKING THE CLASS. THE INSTRUCTORS ARE PAID TO SELL KAPLAN RATHER THAN TO TEACH YOU THE MATERIAL.

THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT KAPLAN ARE THE ONLINE TESTS THEY PROVIDE YOU. IF YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THE KAPLAN BOOK AND THE ONLINE MATERIALS, YOU WILL BE DANDY.

Guess it depends on the instructor. Mine was awesome which I guess made the difference for me. He was comparable to a chemistry prof at university. And he never tried to sell Kaplan. I think he was secretly against the company, you know, one of those ex-hippy, anti-establishment dudes.

how exactly can you get hold of the Kaplan's ONLINE material without taking the course? The only thing I see is the online course for $1300.. kind of an aweful big amount for just practice tests that I need...

I thought Kaplan's online practice tests were invaluable study practice; the classes were worthless and I didn't go after the first 2. Of course Kaplan isn't going to be enough on its own, but it's a really good starting point especially for chem and ochem. Bio too, but you definitely need other resources (I used Cliffs, Campbell, ExamCrackers and just general online research.)
Just my opinion, but I'd spring for it! P