For those who used EXAMKRACKERS materials and did well -- I have a QUESTION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) For their 101 verbal passages -- i keep getting an 8 on them -- did anybody score any higher on the real deal? -- any suggestions

2) for their 30 minutes exams for each lecture int he EK books, I score about an 9-10 on them usually....is that good? Are those tests very representative of the real deal? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think all three sections may have been a little bit harder than the actual MCAT. Nonetheless, I think I remember the EK tests approximating my eventual score pretty well. As far as what "good" is....8 on each subsection is the average for all takers. 9 is average for applicants. 10 is average for matriculants. "Good" is relative depending on the taker.

For Verbal 101, I was hitting 11 on the full-length practice exams, and I made a 10 on the real thing last August.

For the 30-minute chapter tests in the sciences, my scores varied. Some topics I would make 9's or 10's, and others I would make 5's or 6's (and know that I needed more review).

I did not do outstandingly well on the MCAT (26), but I also know that I am not a science whiz like some people here. I feel confident that Examkrackers will prepare students better than any other review course out there, and allow everyone to reach their potential if they work hard enough. Go on their bulletin board and see how many people score in the 30's. It's impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
8's are OK on those passages in the beginning. Really go back and dissect the passages you did that are from an actual AAMC released exam. Do not just keep doing more passages for the sake of it. To start off, dissect each passage without timing yourself. I do beleive in their verbal strategy, it takes a while to trust them. Soon you will be able to quickly gage which answers seem to make the best sense.

The EK science materials are the best. With those materials, I went from an 8 to 13 in P and 11 in bio.

I scored 9's and 10's in the Verbal Practice test of EK, but in the actual test, I panicked a bit, and couldn't finish all the passages (Usually I can just barely finish them). I got an 8

Originally posted by amoxicillin

2) for their 30 minutes exams for each lecture int he EK books, I score about an 9-10 on them usually....is that good? Are those tests very representative of the real deal? Thanks.

I was scoring 9-10 on the 30-min tests too, but on the real thing I scored several points higher in each section. The tests seem to require a little more thinking than the real thing, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure you don't get hung up on what your scoring now and finish all the books and those tests. (That's what helped me.)

Originally posted by Beth_yu
what is the EK 30 minutes tests that you guys are talking about?:confused:

They're in the back of the book before the explanations. There are 30-minute tests there for each lecture.

They have great material but their tests are... well... not the best. I went from a 25 to 30 on their tests and got a 34 on the real thing. The AAMC are more accurate. I was hitting from 33 to 36 on them consistently. The EK tests are not consistent.

9v 12p 13b

By the way i was getting 11 on most verbals i took in their books same for the AAMC. Verbal is a how you feel on test day thing.

Wouldn't you want the practice tests to be harder than the actual one? I certainly wouldn't want them to be easier...!

Originally posted by raven
They have great material but their tests are... well... not the best. I went from a 25 to 30 on their tests and got a 34 on the real thing. The AAMC are more accurate. I was hitting from 33 to 36 on them consistently. The EK tests are not consistent.

9v 12p 13b

By the way i was getting 11 on most verbals i took in their books same for the AAMC. Verbal is a how you feel on test day thing.

EK is good because it presents high-yield material in a way that's easy to understand. it also gives good mnemonics and other study methods to do well.

Look, they tell you right in the book, DO NOT TAKE THE SCALED SCORES ON THE 30-MINUTE TESTS AS ANY KIND OF ABSOLUTE PREDICTOR OF YOUR MCAT SCORE. And they say the same thing about their full-length tests. Only AAMC scores are any kind of accurate predictor.

I have no idea what my scaled scores were on the chapter tests because I ignored them. I was pleased when I got 18/23 on a chapter test; ecstatic if I got over 20; figured I needed more work if I got a 12. I had been scoring an average of about 18/23 on my science chapter tests; I scored in the 99th percentile on the MCAT.

i thought the EK verbal was pretty good. the good thing i felt about it was the fact that they scale the scores on the V101 tests a little more harder/realistically i think. but that's good in the end, b/c to me it only makes u work harder... if u look at the scales for the AAMC tests, u'll notice that u def. need to get a good amount right to get an 8, 9 or 10... in the end how u do in verbal depends on your mindframe on test day. but obviously a good deal of practice will take u a long way.

amoxicillin said:
1) For their 101 verbal passages -- i keep getting an 8 on them -- did anybody score any higher on the real deal? -- any suggestions

I kept scoring, consistently 8-9 on the EK 101 VR passages, once 10 and once 7. But overall, scored consistently 8's on the higher border, with 9 and sometime 9's. I scored a 10 on the real thing. It really depends how things workout for you on the real thing. Just keep pushing. However, if you are consitently scoring 8's I'd say u could hit up to an 11 no more on the real thing. But you should be hitting 9-11 range on the real test. Good luck.

I never got a 10 on the EK101 vr, but scored mostly 8's. The EK 101 passages are easy to read but had some twisted questions whereas the mcat had more difficult passages and easier questions. I finished the real mcat vr about the same time I did on my practice tests and I was very relaxed. I was hopinig to improve a pt on the real thing... Almost everyone thought the real mcat vr was one of the easiest sections compared to the bios and the p.s this year (aug 2004). What yeaer did you take your mcat???

tupac_don said:
I kept scoring, consistently 8-9 on the EK 101 VR passages, once 10 and once 7. But overall, scored consistently 8's on the higher border, with 9 and sometime 9's. I scored a 10 on the real thing. It really depends how things workout for you on the real thing. Just keep pushing. However, if you are consitently scoring 8's I'd say u could hit up to an 11 no more on the real thing. But you should be hitting 9-11 range on the real test. Good luck.