For those who've gotten a masters...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rose786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of applying to different graduate schools in order to offset my horrible undergrad GPA. For certain schools, the application allows you to choose whether you want in the thesis or non-thesis program. For one of these schools, the degree awarded for the non-thesis option is an M.A instead of an M.S.

So my question essentially is this: If I elect to go the non-thesis route, will it look like I'm taking the easy way out?

I'm also trying to think of back-up plans in case I don't get into D-School after the masters. Will I be "hireable" after getting a non-thesis masters?? Or should I just suck it up and do the thesis option??

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't really decide I wanted to go into dentistry until my last year of college when it was too late to apply to get in directly. So, instead of sitting on my butt for a year, I decided to get my Master's. I finished the classes within a year (w/ a 3.98).

The main, important thing is that I decided to do my research for my thesis at a dental school with a dentist in a dental-related topic. This definitely, definitely helped me out...as I'll now be attending UCLA in the fall.

So, if I could give you any advice it would be to go for the Master's...you can boost your GPA and it looks good. Also, do the thesis! It's frowned upon if you don't...and if you have the chance pick research that's going to help you in the future (dentistry). Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't really decide I wanted to go into dentistry until my last year of college when it was too late to apply to get in directly. So, instead of sitting on my butt for a year, I decided to get my Master's. I finished the classes within a year (w/ a 3.98).

The main, important thing is that I decided to do my research for my thesis at a dental school with a dentist in a dental-related topic. This definitely, definitely helped me out...as I'll now be attending UCLA in the fall.

So, if I could give you any advice it would be to go for the Master's...you can boost your GPA and it looks good. Also, do the thesis! It's frowned upon if you don't...and if you have the chance pick research that's going to help you in the future (dentistry). Good luck!

When you say not doing a thesis is frowned upon, did you hear that from adcoms or is it your own speculation? I find it interesting you did your thesis at a dental school, how did that come about? Is your masters program connected to a dental school?

I would straight up just do the thesis if I had to, but I'm really not interested in research, just want to boost the gpa.

Yes, my school has told me it's frowned upon. Plus, every time I talk to doctors or dentists about my Master's degree they automatically respond with "what's your thesis on?" This leads me to believe that it's important.

But, if you don't want to take my word for it then ask the dental schools you're applying to which option they think is more attractive.

Also, it depends on the type of school you're applying to (research or technical). Obviously research schools like to see research.

As far as doing dental research...that was something I took upon myself to do. You have to find a lab that will accept you and I didn't want to do anything the school had to offer so I went to the dental school and asked if I could do research there. My school approved it and the rest is history.

I'd definitely say go the thesis route, especially if you have a poor GPA. I received my MS in 2004 (neuroimmunology) and I was told that my grad GPA along with my research experience and subsequent first authorship on a publication were the most enticing parts of my application...bc Lord knows it wasnt my Jr/Sr year of undergrad GPA...I got a little carried away those 4 semesters. If I took the non-thesis route all I would have had is the graduate GPA they were looking for... maybe that wouldn't have been enough to get me in. I don't know for sure, but I'm glad I took the thesis route and I have been working in cancer research at an institute here for over 2 years now. We are a translational research lab (bringing the bench to the bedside)Good stuff... and also a good waiting point/LOR opportunity if you have to reapply to dental school. Best of luck!

PS... no one cared the my research was biomedical rather than direct dental.

You do what you feel is best for you. I will complete my MBA program next semester and just like you, I'm doing it as a backup. I don't feel as if it's frowned upon.