Joel Fleischman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
In the OR, or seeing a consult (more likely)
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Perhaps we could start a thread for those of us who are less than supper human, who have ADHD – whether self diagnosed or by a team of Mayo Neurologists – and discuss how people deal with their minimal attention and concentration issues with the volume of material in medical school…
I do have ADHD, do fine, no accommodations, take the Ritalin and coffee. Friends do comment that I am one of the most distractible people when studying through.

donvicious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
I too drink coffee and just switched to Concerta from short acting methylphenidate. I am much less irritable but I've noticed that it wears off in the afternoon. Any suggestions?

I study most effectively at home where there are no distractions. This is possible because I get the class notes from the disability services at my school.

Does anybody take extra time for tests? I think this would help on lab practicals but I think it would give me an advantage over my classmates. After all, everybody runs out of time on these, no?

OP
Joel Fleischman

Joel Fleischman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I get the same issues with Ritalin... even the LA.. seems to wear out in the afternoon.
Tried welbutrin, but it seemed to not do much.
How is teh concerta otherwise?
A few people at our school seem to get extra time on practical. My school was pretty adamant that I not do extra time, according to the semantics of my neurologist report (i.e. I should be alotted up to the normal ammount of time)

typeB-md

Be more like McCain!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
i... uh... wait, i was going to say something. oh, right... there was this newspaper article that talked about... i think it was neil armstrong, yes.. anyhow vince carter was doing his thing... dammit, i just lost my pencil.

it's on the tip of my tongue, i'm just having trouble oh yea now i remember... it's right here in my drawer.

i too also park in handicap spots after a good leg workout, because, you know, i don't actually feel like dealing with the effort of taking a few extra steps. (ADHD does't require the use of disability services).

OP
Joel Fleischman

Joel Fleischman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Now Type B...
this is a thread for those of us who are less than perfect.
who aspire to be just like you. So give us a chance to discuss things... you can argue, taunt us, all that you want on that other thread. Then, someday when we can go off in the sunset and make fun of those in the special olympics.
Now go away.

Reactions: Dingahlingahling

typeB-md

Be more like McCain!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
Joel Fleischman said:
Now Type B...
this is a thread for those of us who are less than perfect.
who aspire to be just like you. So give us a chance to discuss things... you can argue, taunt us, all that you want on that other thread. Then, someday when we can go off in the sunset and make fun of those in the special olympics.
Now go away.
i will no longer be posting in your thread for fairness. but can you please give me your opinion (read: there is no right or wrong) on the matter of individuals being given extra time for exams.

donvicious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
Concerta is a lot better than the short acting stuff. But since I study until 11 at night I want something that will last longer. A classmate of mine says the Ritalin LA is longer acting and she supplements with the shorties as needed.

She suggested that I take the Concerta and wait an hour to eat breakfast.

What do you think about this?

Joel Fleischman said:
I get the same issues with Ritalin... even the LA.. seems to wear out in the afternoon.
Tried welbutrin, but it seemed to not do much.
How is teh concerta otherwise?
A few people at our school seem to get extra time on practical. My school was pretty adamant that I not do extra time, according to the semantics of my neurologist report (i.e. I should be alotted up to the normal ammount of time)

Hoya11

15+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2004
Status
I go with adderall, works great.

I just found out I had ADD or whatever, and I am still not convinced WHAT i have, but I know it is something. My test scores went from bottom 10% in the class to over the mean just by taking the adderall, its so wierd. I really get into a groove with it and just go with it till I cover all the material, take the test and its done, the way I thought medical school would be in the first place.

donvicious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
Hoya11 said:
I go with adderall, works great.

I just found out I had ADD or whatever, and I am still not convinced WHAT i have, but I know it is something. My test scores went from bottom 10% in the class to over the mean just by taking the adderall, its so wierd. I really get into a groove with it and just go with it till I cover all the material, take the test and its done, the way I thought medical school would be in the first place.
Are you taking the short or long acting version?

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
isn't there a concerta xr? I may be mixing them up, though. I don't have ADHD but tried many of these meds several years ago (prescribed, of course!) for suspected narcolepsy or something like that...not anymore, though (bad side effects for me, probably since I don't have ADHD).

donvicious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
closertofine said:
isn't there a concerta xr? I may be mixing them up, though. I don't have ADHD but tried many of these meds several years ago (prescribed, of course!) for suspected narcolepsy or something like that...not anymore, though (bad side effects for me, probably since I don't have ADHD).
I think Concerta only comes in the extended release form.

reddirtgirl

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
www.radioparadise.com
Status
Joel Fleischman said:
what's the deal with adderal supposedly being so dangerous?
where does the rumor come from?

Do y'all seem to study more or less than your peers?
adderall was recently yanked in Canada; I think the data is sketchy: 20 reported deaths worldwide, 12 deaths out of 30 million scripts in the US from '99-03, half of which were in kids w/congenital heart defects. Given the track record and the long history of amphetamines in general, it might e less of a safety issue and more of a pharma/busine$$ issue.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/2005/NEW01156.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=19972

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=178520

Hoya11 said:
I just found out I had ADD or whatever, and I am still not convinced WHAT i have, but I know it is something.
It's taken me ~5+ yrs to accept the fact that my official medical adhd diagnosis is a real disorder and not some crock of ****. That's alot of wasted time and energy.

Joel- thanks for starting this thread BTW.

Anyone willing to share ideas on HOW they study? Specific tactics?

Thanks.

donvicious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
reddirtgirl said:
Anyone willing to share ideas on HOW they study? Specific tactics?

Thanks.
I only go to required classes. I wake up early because that's when I'm most productive.

Specifically, my strategy is to make flashcards while I go through each day's material. I also type up "fill in the blank" style questions. I review the flashcards and the questions each weekend.

If you can get class notes, I would advise it. My school also records each lecture automatically and we can then listen to this on Windows Media Player at a faster speed.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
This is a sweet thread, let me start off by sayining th-

omg, shiny metal object! :thumbup:

Reactions: Dingahlingahling

that dr. jack

Captain Bringdown
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
i'm on yur floor, runnin yur list
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hello, i am donvicious' ritalin taking classmate. i was diagnosed two years ago, but it has been a lifelong problem. i take ritalin LA once a day, and supplement with short acting ritalin as needed. i don't drink coffee or any other drinks with caffeine because it makes me feel awful, but i've never been a coffee drinker anyway. my doctor told me you should wait at least 45 minutes or an hour before eating with the long-acting pills, to ensure the pill absorption won't be altered by food digestion. that way, you are on an even keel for the whole 7-8 hours, rather than feeling really speedy for a couple hours and then having it wear off.

i don't study an excessive amount and i am doing quite well (although not as well as donvicous, that bastard :D ). i hate taking extensive notes, drawing, coloring or making outlines because they are a waste of time for me. i just listen to the lecture, look at the accompanying powerpoint, go home and repeat until i know it. i'm a little scared because we're doing neuro right now and they say to draw and color everything, but being a little artistic monkey distracts me from learning the material because i only think about what colors to use and making it all look pretty.

the weird thing about ADD is that it's not just "i can't concentrate". it manifests itself in other ways that seem to be only peripheral to the central processing problem. things like blurting out things before fully forming the repsonse in your head or losing stuff because you just drop it where you are standing at that moment. so you end up having issues at work and socially, even though people expect it to only affect you academically. undergrad was brutal at first, and i almost failed out in the first year. but i did get out with two degrees, using every method i could find to help learn the material. taking ritalin has helped me organize not only the information given to me, but the actions i take in everyday life. i spent many years hating myself because i was "stupid and lazy", even though my IQ was above average and was in gifted programs all through grade school. i was the kid that was bright on paper, but never performed well and disrupted the class constantly. the difference is like night and day, and i attribute this to well-honed learning habits as well as the medication. i don't think taking meds would have helped me as much if i hadn't already figured out how i process information best.

sorry for the longwinded response, but from lurking on the two ADD threads in this forum, it seems like there's tremendous amount of ignorance about the subject and outright hostility towards people with ADD. if we have it and are struggling, we're unfit for being physicians, but if we manage to work through it and do well, then we obviously don't have it. i think that's bull$hit. if you have ADD, keep your head up and don't take those nasty comments to heart. you can do well in med school, graduate and become an amazing physician.

OP
Joel Fleischman

Joel Fleischman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It may help in being a physician ( wow am I going to get it for that one)
any whoo.
Ive noticed a difference in my "subvocalization", or "inner voice" if you will while studying when on ritalin. In some sence, I can finally hear my self think.

Im doing well enough in school, there is alwasy room for improvement. I think one of my big problems is in I have an over frequency of switching study tactics in mid - block.
What how do ADDers go about attempting to synthesize a sylabus. i always try to start out going over the sylabus at least 3X pre exam while making flashcards or an out line, or lists, or whatever strikes my fancy that week. Though getting through everything does not quite seem to happen.

smoke

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
I have a question/concern: Whom have you informed that you have ADHD? Classmates/Study partners only? Faculty? Administration/Dean? I ask because I am worried about being labelled badly in the future. I have been reading these threads, and obviously there is a great difference in opinion about the "reality" of ADHD? For instance, if my dean knows that I have ADD, will she think favorably of me overcoming the obstacle and finishing school or mention it as a deficiency or possible limitation on my dean's letter for residency? Thanks in advance for all of your feedback.

that dr. jack

Captain Bringdown
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
i'm on yur floor, runnin yur list
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
smoke said:
I have a question/concern: Whom have you informed that you have ADHD? Classmates/Study partners only? Faculty? Administration/Dean? I ask because I am worried about being labelled badly in the future. I have been reading these threads, and obviously there is a great difference in opinion about the "reality" of ADHD? For instance, if my dean knows that I have ADD, will she think favorably of me overcoming the obstacle and finishing school or mention it as a deficiency or possible limitation on my dean's letter for residency? Thanks in advance for all of your feedback.
i'm not keeping it a secret at all. once we're accepted, we have to present a full medical history and physical to start school, and it was listed on my medication section. i talk about it freely, and although some people look at you funny, the proof is in your grades and behavior. i've mentioned it casually to one of our assistant deans, and he didn't act like it was anything big.

there's really no way they can use it against you if you're doing well both academically and in your professional conduct, taking the medication legally under the care of a physician. they run the risk of violating the ADA if they use it to deny you anything. i felt that being upfront about it was ok given the school i attend. especially after our new dean proudly told us he is dyslexic when he first spoke to us, which didn't stop him from being an admiral and former surgeon general to allied command for transformation in the navy. however, use caution because not all schools have the same vibe, so if you don't want people to know, you don't have to tell them.

OP
Joel Fleischman

Joel Fleischman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with the above post.
Dont make it a secret but obviously biases do exist. If you need testing accomidations, most schools now have an office/dean incharge of learning disability issues etc. So that person will have to know.

[BTW, most well informed indviduals know (i.e. deans etc) that ADD diagnosis, and for you to recieve accomidations you will need far more than some random MD to just write a note -- you'll need to provide testing results and reccomendation etc]
As far as any other folks, I would just tell them if they need to know (i.e. you get into some kind of academic trouble and the ADHD is at the reason). Otherwise, if things are undercontrol, I wouldnt bother telling them.

of course if they are one of these indivduals with a warped sense, wait until the day after you get your MD and are in AOA, and then you can go tell them.

donvicious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
Joel Fleischman said:
of course if they are one of these indivduals with a warped sense, wait until the day after you get your MD and are in AOA, and then you can go tell them.
What's an MD? :D

Argante

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Earth
Status
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Strattera yet. I'm currently in the process of switching from Adderall to Strattera and so far I like it a lot better. First of all, it's not an amphetamine, which is good for various reasons including the fact that you can get a prescription with refills. It also doesn't wear off like everything else. I first started taking Ritalin a year ago, but that wore off way too quickly, so I switched to Adderall. At that point I wanted to stick w/ generics because of the cost difference. I never tried any of the long-acting stimulants because I figured if I was going to pay for a name-brand prescription, I'd want to try the non-stimulant first. Anyway, finally decided that I wanted something that actually lasted the entire day. One of the interesting things I've noticed is that I have a lot less trouble waking up in the morning than I used to. And of course not having the ups and downs of short-acting stuff. I haven't hit therapeutic dose yet, but have already almost completely stopped taking the Adderall and I feel a lot better.

Study tactics.....since I'm a 4th year I haven't had to worry about it too much recently, but I figured out a lot this past year. I like using color in whatever way possible. Specific colors mean specific things and once I got that set, I kept it consistent between different subjects (i.e. green for drugs, red for mnemonics, blue for numbers....). Some of the best advice I read was to try to work WITH the way your brain works instead of trying to make it fit someone else's idea of the right way. It sounds easy, but it's not. One of the most important things for me was realizing that making study schedules never worked. Instead, I would divide up the work into areas and list what I had to go over for that area. Then when I was actually inspired to study something, that's what I would do, with the restriction that I would only focus on that one area and nothing else until it was done. Worked a lot better. Also organizing things very visually helps. Putting things away where I can't see them means I forget about them. So I have to have everything visible. The default of couse is piles of crap, which isn't useful, but having open/clear containers helps. It's also good if you can get someone else who understands what's going on to help you organize and stay on track. The key is they can't try to change the way you think, they have to just remind you to get back to working the best way for you.

As a side note, I really don't like the classification of ADD/ADHD as a disorder or disability. I really think it's just a natural variant. Unfortunately, today's society, particularly medical schoool, doesn't allow for any variation in the way people think and learn. So in order to fit into their prescribed way of functioning, I have to take meds. In my opinion, the much better solution would be to allow for different learning styles, but I realize just how impossible that is. Maybe some day.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
Strattera only really works for like 30% of the people who take it. It only works on NE as opposed to NE AND dopamine. Many people who take strattera end up on a combination of strattera and wellbutrin. By far for people who can take the stimulant medications they seem to have the best results.

jennie 21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2003
Princeton
Visit site
Status
The other thing about Strattera that makes me wary of it is that it is brand-new. Having watched all these drugs get pulled off the market recently after they were FDA-approved because new side effects were discovered after they were on the market (Vioxx, Phen-Fen, Baycol), I'm wary of taking anything that hasn't been on the market for at least 10-15 years (unless it's a slight modification of an already-existing drug, such as the birth control patch instead of the birth control pill, or a long-acting version of something already on the market). The advantage of the amphetamines is they've all been around for at least 30-50 years, so there shouldn't be any unknown side effects. Personally, I'm just not willing to take a chance with my brain chemistry by taking a new drug whose possible long-term side effects aren't known. I mean, chances are, Strattera is fine and perfectly safe, but why take the chance when there are other, at-least-equally-if-not-more-effective choices available? That's my thinking about it.

basupran

ortho, study, cars, lift
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2003
NY
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Last edited:

Argante

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Earth
Status
Megalofyia said:
Strattera only really works for like 30% of the people who take it. It only works on NE as opposed to NE AND dopamine. Many people who take strattera end up on a combination of strattera and wellbutrin. By far for people who can take the stimulant medications they seem to have the best results.
I've heard that a lot of people essentially end up using Strattera to decrease their stimulant dosages or use them less often. I was actually already on Wellbutrin for depression (let's hear it for comorbidities...) so I'm sure that's helping.

Actually, for a long time I thought my inability to concentrate was just from depression, but once I finally got that under control and still couldn't concentrate, that's when I started looking for another answer.

Argante

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Earth
Status
basupran said:
I know the exact moa of methylphenidate has not been uncovered, but from what I have read, it either blocks dat or increases bloodflow to prefrontal cortex. If methylphen messes with the dat, do you think there is a possibility of downregulation, ie requiring increased dosing or difficulty coming off. I wonder about the use of these stimulants. Have you guys felt that you needed more medication after some time to get the effect?
Once I was on a stable dose, I never felt the need to increase it. From what I've read, people who really have ADHD can stay on the same dose for years and still get the same effect. Which sort of goes along with it not just being an addiction to a high, because that should end up requiring more.

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
I have an opinion that I'd like some feedback on.

I don't think it's any secret that a butt-load (I think that's the exact amount) of prescriptions are being written for ADD/ADHD. I have done quite a bit of informal research on why that may be.

Basically, the prevalent hypothesis is that our brains are hard-wired differently that those of previous generations, primarily due to the proliferation of the internet and other attention span-decimating agents such as MTV.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that ADHD doesn't exist, but critics have a point when they point out that a "hyperactive" person can focus for hours at a time without medication, if it is something that stimulates them. Think Sean William Scott in Dude, Where's My Car? "The average land speed of an African Ostrich..." Love that movie. :D

In fact, some say that the reason so many people (mostly children) have problems in school is because the education system can't keep up with society's shortening of our attention spans. That's one of the pillars of the U.S. Department of Education's latest major effort.

Despite the fact that medical school is the study of actual physical entities (i.e. the human body, its components, and its components' components, etc.) we spend very little time learning things from a visual perspective (just about everything is text-based).

I never had any problems with this before med school, since the volume was a fraction of what I deal with now.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

NS

p.s. Love the Addy 10mg short-acting. More conducive to a flexible schedule, like those days when you wake up at 1pm and don't want to be awake until 11am the next day. Haven't tried Strattera.

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
This guy went on to win a Nobel Prize in 1981:

The main theme to emerge... is that there appear to be two modes of thinking, verbal and nonverbal, represented rather separately in left and right hemispheres respectively and that our education system, as well as science in general, tends to neglect the nonverbal form of intellect. What it comes down to is that modern society discriminates against the right hemisphere.
-Roger Sperry (1973)

You could Google for more info on this guy. He was quite the interesting cat. :cool:

NS

Argante

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Earth
Status
NotShorty said:
Basically, the prevalent hypothesis is that our brains are hard-wired differently that those of previous generations, primarily due to the proliferation of the internet and other attention span-decimating agents such as MTV.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that ADHD doesn't exist, but critics have a point when they point out that a "hyperactive" person can focus for hours at a time without medication, if it is something that stimulates them. Think Sean William Scott in Dude, Where's My Car? "The average land speed of an African Ostrich..." Love that movie. :D
I would agree that a lot of the problems related to ADD have to do with society, but I don't know that society is the sole instigating factor. I actually think current society (mostly school, especially med schoo) leaves no room for different types of thinking and learning.

As for a hyperactive person focusing for hours, that's well know. Then problem is that an ADHD person will tend to hyperfocus on some obscure detail at the expense of the entire project or whatever. It goes more with the lack of impulse control/ difficulty prioritizing aspect.

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Argante said:
I like using color in whatever way possible. Specific colors mean specific things and once I got that set, I kept it consistent between different subjects...
I've had great success with color coding. Sorry, I didn't see your post before making mine!

Argante said:
Some of the best advice I read was to try to work WITH the way your brain works instead of trying to make it fit someone else's idea of the right way. It sounds easy, but it's not.
VERY good advice. If anyone needs help with this, take a look at the book on the left side of www.studentdoctor.net (the amazon.com link) called Now Discover Your Strengths. :thumbup:

NS

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Argante said:
...but I don't know that society is the sole instigating factor...
Primary, not sole. Sorry, I don't mean to hyperfocus on this one detail :) I think our trains of thought are both on the same track.

An M2 at my school said, "we're all different types of citrus fruit, but around here they're trying to make nothing buy orange juice." :laugh: Adapting for a wider range of students would ultimately make better doctors, and I think this should be somewhere on the to-do list for all schools.

NS

reddirtgirl

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
www.radioparadise.com
Status
basupran said:
I know the exact moa of methylphenidate has not been uncovered, but from what I have read, it either blocks dat or increases bloodflow to prefrontal cortex. If methylphen messes with the dat, do you think there is a possibility of downregulation, ie requiring increased dosing or difficulty coming off. I wonder about the use of these stimulants. Have you guys felt that you needed more medication after some time to get the effect?
not sure about methylphenidate's mechanism.

But, I used to spend alot of time wondering about receptor upregulation/NT (neurtotransmitter) downreg.... in the case of stuff that acts directly on dopamine receptors (ie adderall, dexadrine) these meds probably don't participate in the neg feedback pathway (whereas NE(norepi) & epi does ..... making me hesitant about ahdh meds that involve NE). It's in lots of texts but working in esoterica research has rotted my brain and I had to look it up. Also available at http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/pediatrics/hcp/adhdcatepathway.cfm

this is also an interesting "gateway" link in case you feel the need to read up on it all in one place: http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/pediatrics/hcp/adhdetiology.cfm

apologies if any of this is too redundant; there may be non-neuro, non med students reading this

Argante

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Earth
Status
NotShorty said:
Primary, not sole. Sorry, I don't mean to hyperfocus on this one detail :) I think our trains of thought are both on the same track.

An M2 at my school said, "we're all different types of citrus fruit, but around here they're trying to make nothing buy orange juice." :laugh: Adapting for a wider range of students would ultimately make better doctors, and I think this should be somewhere on the to-do list for all schools.
I don't know that I even think it's the primary factor, although if you get into Americans' ridiculous sense of entitlement to whatever they want RIGHT NOW, then yes. But you're right, our ideas are really similar.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
The other thing to consider is that there seems to be a big genetic component as it runs in families.

Argante

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Earth
Status
Megalofyia said:
The other thing to consider is that there seems to be a big genetic component as it runs in families.
Very true. In fact, my mother very obviously has ADD, though as far as I know she's never been diagnosed. But she's one of those really intelligent, creative people that took forever to get her first degree and then never actually finished her master's. She's had tons of different jobs, can't organize anything, gets distracted by everything....:)

I do know that there have been fMRI studies showing differences in the way the brain functions in people with ADD. Then again, the environment we're raised in, including social factors, affects the way our brains function.

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Argante said:
...Americans' ridiculous sense of entitlement to whatever they want RIGHT NOW...
I think you'd at least partially agree that by overprescribing for any drug, (adderall, Strattera, Prozac, Viagra, etc.) that ridiculous sense of entitlement is being catered to, even encouraged. Everyone wants to solve the problem, but they don't want to do the introspective, long-term work. It's just, "gimme a pill, that'll solve everything."

I don't believe that either of us are being unreasonable in seeking help for learning. School is not custom-fit to my needs. I can adapt with some help and deal with that.

This feels like one of those conversations where you say, "it's 8:45," and I say, "no, it's quarter 'til 9." :)

NS

reddirtgirl

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
www.radioparadise.com
Status
Joel Fleischman said:
How many of you recopy and re-recopy notes/sylabus when studying?
I HATE it, but it seems to be the only way I retain stuff...
I definitely do. Most times, the info I'm trying to learn &/or process has to go through paper and pen before there is any retention.

thus I LOATHE computerized tests.

Argante

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Earth
Status
Joel Fleischman said:
How many of you recopy and re-recopy notes/sylabus when studying?
I HATE it, but it seems to be the only way I retain stuff...
2nd year I would rewrite the notes in a format that made sense to me, usually with lots of pictures. Just words tend to mean very little, I need pictures. Even when I'm remembering text, I remember what it looks like, where it is on the page, etc.

For 3rd year exams I did different color underlining (instead of highlighting) then did lots of practice questions.

KitesurfDaEarth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2003
hawaii eventually
Status
aloha

i was diagnosed with adhd back in the day during undergrad. Im an MS1 and i haven't taken stimulants and I got stellar grades my first semester but honestly outside of school my whole life (or what was left of it) was a mess. my apartment is constantly trashed, which pissed my gf off, the social life was somewhat tough to get used to at first because a) usually the best conversation i have all day is with myself b) im not used to the degree of social isolation that you get sometimes in school c) probably like many of you my style of interaction isn't normal. ill freeze mid sentence because i forgot what i was saying. i often do wierd and say wierd things because lack of impulse control. d) how do you socialize without alcohol?

anyways i went to see a shrink, i thought maybe i was depressed or anxious but she tested me for adhd again. she seemed surprised that I even got into medical school because of my test results. So in the beginning of my second semester she gave me straterra. and i actually got the WORST grades i have ever gotten so far. BUT, that test block is traditionally one of the toughest. so i dont think the med made me do worse, it did help me get my life back into shape...somewhat. but i am still a work in progress.

so far i have a mixed opinion on the effects of medication. apparently straterra doesn't kick in until up to 6 weeks since its a SNRI. basically i hate the thought of taking a pill every day. Also i tried stimulant meds for a short time 5 years ago when adderall came out. and i didn't like who i was when i took it. it felt it dulled my personality. Has anyone had any experience or success using an ADHD coach or specialist without meds?

any tips on keeping my place clean? or how about losing things? any tips tricks?

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
KitesurfDaEarth said:
any tips on keeping my place clean? or how about losing things? any tips tricks?
maid/personal assistant ;)

Manifesting

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Midwestern City
Visit site
Status
Hello everyone:

First of all, a huge thank you to Joel F. for initiating this supportive thread and for keeping it exclusive to those who have a legitimate interest in the
discussion.

I am not (yet :cool: ) an expert on the subject of neurodevelopmental disorder, but I have spent my 41 years living it and dealing with it. I was dx'd with ADHD and learning disabilities (dsylexia and auditory processing disorder) as an adult. My son is ADHD and autistic. My sister is ADD. Her two children are ADD and ADHD w/LD. My husband is ADHD w/depression.
All of us have been diagnosed! There are many other nuts on our family tree who are clearly impaired, but undiagnosed. Some of us take meds, others do not.

I could ramble on this topic forever, but I won't, at least not today. I do hope to join the discussion and share some of my opinions and experiences with all of you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
Manifesting - you turned off the ability to recieve private messages?

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Manifesting said:
I do hope to join the discussion and share some of my opinions and experiences with all of you.
Welcome. You're clearly here for the right reason.

KitesurfDaEarth, have you tried having a "designated messy area" which would allow for more areas to remain clean? I find that although my closets and cupboards look like disaster areas, I know exactly where everything is. Maybe it would have helped to meet your g/f halfway with cleaning responsibilities, assuming that it wasn't all your mess.

NS

Manifesting

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Midwestern City
Visit site
Status
Megalofyia said:
Manifesting - you turned off the ability to recieve private messages?
Umm, I don't know. I'll check my profile. I don't do the text messaging thing, but I don't mind receiving private email messages and would be happy to correspond with you. I'll try to reset my preferences. Help???

I just reread the message I posted last night and I see that I spelled dyslexia incorrectly, as dsylexia. HA! Story of my life... Wow, nasty trolls could have some fun with that one, eh? Again, thanks to Joel for starting this thread. It feels like a comfortable place for those of us who so often feel out of sync with everything and everyone in our lives.

Manifesting

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Midwestern City
Visit site
Status
OK, Mega, I changed my preferences to accept private messages from members and email only from administration. We'll see how this goes.