For USMLE for Step1: Kaplan or Princeton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dknykid1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most take a Kaplan Review Course for the USMLE. However, I was wondering what the pros/cons were of the Princeton USMLE course. The reason I am asking is that I have not heard anything about their PREP course, and what is appealing to me is that they offer a one-on-one tutorial session.

If any of you all have any insight, please share.
Thanks

DKNY

Members don't see this ad.

Do most people do a prep course for step1? I thought that most people studied on their own.

Most students don't use Kaplan or Princeton. I'd only recc either one of those if a. you had difficulty passing some of your classes during 1st or 2nd yr, with difficulty in 2nd yr being a stronger indication then 1st yr and b. you learn well with someone lecturing you. Otherwise, I'd recc spending your money on books and qbank and studying on your own. Ultimately, you will have to learn the information by yourself. Also, remember that no one spoon feeds you info during third yr and beyond, most of the stuff you learn will be on your own so you might as well get used to the concept. That being said, participating in one of the review programs also has the slight advantage of giving students who otherwise would not be able to establish structure in their study schedule. Nothing wrong with writing out a schedule based on reccs in first aid though.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just recently heard from a friend that the princeton review just started their reveiw course last yr. any of you actually take it? heard anything about it? i wonder if they've sorted out all the shortcomings last year, since it was the year of their inception.

any input is greatly appreciated.

DKNY

I you want to take a review course then take Kaplan. They are right on the mark for both step 1 and 2. Most of the Kaplan profs actually write the board questions. I don't know of anyone that has taken Princeton Review. I only studied the kaplan notes and did very well.

Originally posted by Wednesday
Do most people do a prep course for step1? I thought that most people studied on their own.

The vast majority of people do not take a prep course.