For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honest question: How is it identifiable at a USMC hat?
Looks like a red hat to me.
It's not. He was making a parallel.

Members don't see this ad.

Birdstrike was never "on the bus".
I’m a big fan of the music and the band. But I never followed them around or was truly “on the bus,” if you know what I mean. I got on the med school-residency-doctor bus instead, for better or for worse.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, not sure this song needed another cover version, but happy that Dylan is having a good ol' time.

Moving onto other news, I've started getting into a trilogy of Dead-adjacent albums. Started with David Crosby's If Only I Could Remember My Name which features a backing band (hence the "trilogy") including Jerry, Phil and Bill. Found this album today at my local shop and it's gorgeous. Vocal harmonies abound, intermixed with Jerry's amazing guitar work.

I'll post about the other two in this trilogy when I've tracked 'em down on wax (Rolling Thunder (Mickey Hart) and Blows Against the Empire (Phil Kantner)) which also feature this similar crack backing band, all recorded in the early 70's.

This is what makes collecting vinyl fun - finding a rabbit hole to go down, but because you're determined to do it on used vinyl, you never know how long it'll take.

Hmm, not sure this song needed another cover version, but happy that Dylan is having a good ol' time.

Moving onto other news, I've started getting into a trilogy of Dead-adjacent albums. Started with David Crosby's If Only I Could Remember My Name which features a backing band (hence the "trilogy") including Jerry, Phil and Bill. Found this album today at my local shop and it's gorgeous. Vocal harmonies abound, intermixed with Jerry's amazing guitar work.

I'll post about the other two in this trilogy when I've tracked 'em down on wax (Rolling Thunder (Mickey Hart) and Blows Against the Empire (Phil Kantner)) which also feature this similar crack backing band, all recorded in the early 70's.

This is what makes collecting vinyl fun - finding a rabbit hole to go down, but because you're determined to do it on used vinyl, you never know how long it'll take.
That Crosby album is good. Jerry's stuff on there is excellent, as usual. I took a quick listen to the other two you mentioned, but didn't go back. I can't even remember what my impression was. Let us know if those are worth a listen.

I saw that Dylan covered Stella blue. He really respected Jerry and Hunter. Hunter is one of only two (I think?) lyricists Dylan ever agreed to worth with, on his late career resurgence albums. The other was a guy named Jacques Levy, which is really random, because he was a clinical psychologist turned broadway theatre director.

All I wish is to be single (or dating) and just follow these guys around in the 70s. I don't need a lot of money. I kind of want a shower a couple times a week. but I don't need much. I just want some peace in my life. And these guys give it to me all the time.

All I wish is to be single (or dating) and just follow these guys around in the 70s. I don't need a lot of money. I kind of want a shower a couple times a week. but I don't need much. I just want some peace in my life. And these guys give it to me all the time.
It would be great to go back in a time machine and do exactly that.

Or at a minimum, it’s a great movie idea.

“Back to the Future 4: Marty McFly Follows Grateful Dead, ‘72-‘77!”

@WilcoWorld @thegenius

The movie that clip is from, is called Festival Express. It's a cool little movie. It's sort of like the Woodstock of train rides, with Grateful Dead, The Band, Janis Joplin, Buddy Guy and other musicians from that era, living, partying, playing and getting stoned together on a train ride across Canada, stopping for shows. What I would give to have been on that train.

Definitely worth a watch.

And my local library has it on DVD!

Reactions: 1 users
@WilcoWorld @thegenius

The movie that clip is from, is called Festival Express. It's a cool little movie. It's sort of like the Woodstock of train rides, with Grateful Dead, The Band, Janis Joplin, Buddy Guy and other musicians from that era, living, partying, playing and getting stoned together on a train ride across Canada, stopping for shows. What I would give to have been on that train.

Definitely worth a watch.

Just checked it out, will watch as I wind down from my evening shift tomorrow.

Kind of a somber post, but related to GD. My wife and I are looking into getting help for our son and looking into residential treatment centers. There are several in the Bay Area and we visited one in San Rafael. My son and I entered it for a tour and it looks like an old house converted into a treatment center. One of the questions I asked was "was this property an old house?" and the guy said that this house used to be the head quarters for the Grateful Dead. He even showed us Jerry's office, which was a small, unassuming room in the back in the house. Very interesting day, I couldn't be really excited about the news given why we were there, but I guess I just toured the GD headquarters back in the 80's.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of a somber post, but related to GD. My wife and I are looking into getting help for our son and looking into residential treatment centers. There are several in the Bay Area and we visited one in San Rafael. My son and I entered it for a tour and it looks like an old house converted into a treatment center. One of the questions I asked was "was this property an old house?" and the guy said that this house used to be the head quarters for the Grateful Dead. He even showed us Jerry's office, which was a small, unassuming room in the back in the house. Very interesting day, I couldn't be really excited about the news given why we were there, but I guess I just toured the GD headquarters back in the 80's.
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I hope he gets the help he needs and things get better.

That's just wild, what a way to end up in such a space. I wish your son the best, friend.

4/27/77 Capitol Theater WITH VIDEO

This is actually a very good show

Last edited:
This, Comes a Time from 7/17/76 is just…Wow

Then, this sequence goes places, too.

The Other One Jam ->
Drums ->
The Other One ->
Space ->
Eyes Of The World ->
Jam ->
The Other One -

Some blues rock-guitar shredding from Ana Popovic

Skip to 4:25 for first solo

@thegenius

Last edited:
Crisp clean video, beautiful recording, the band is playing great and Jerry's voice is ON!

I feel like I'm there:

7/16/90 buffalo

@thegenius

Unappreciated gem!

Waiting for a Miracle

Jerry Garcia Band

In honor of Jerry Garcia's (one day belated) 80the birthday, this absolutely healing Dear Prudence
You know who Prudence is, right? Pia Zadora 's sister. I think it was Paul that said she was trying to find enlightenment before anyone else, meditating in her hut all the time, although that is the diametrical opposite of what should happen. If you're racing, you've already lost.

After Midnight, JJ Cale/Clapton cover

With help from Donna!

You know who Prudence is, right? Pia Zadora 's sister. I think it was Paul that said she was trying to find enlightenment before anyone else, meditating in her hut all the time, although that is the diametrical opposite of what should happen. If you're racing, you've already lost.
I have heard that story. Amazing what random weirdness can inspire an incredible piece of art.

Crisp clean video, beautiful recording, the band is playing great and Jerry's voice is ON!

I feel like I'm there:

7/16/90 buffalo

@thegenius

Great video. Jerry is clean. He is even clean shaven. Half the band are wearing sunglasses. Mickey is waving his ****ing drumstick around. What's not to like.

I could directly save 30 patients from MI's, malignant arrhythmias, hypotension on the brink of death, and NOTHING WOULD BEAT SEEING THESE GUYS BACK IN THE DAY. I could have families lining up offering profuse praise of my work and I would smile and say you are welcome. But I would just rather listen to these guys.

What a way to start a show. BUCKET is a great way to start a show. Top 5 best opening songs.

Look at Jerry. He's smiling. He doesn't have swollen feet. He isn't massively stoned like he was throuhgout the entire 80's. There was 2-3 years in the 89-90-91 time period where he wasn't dosed. Poor Brent he's ffcking doing speedballs every night and eventually died of one.

Jerry is really trying in BUCKET. all focused. letting it all out. I bet his FSG is a manageable 272.

Gotta love the Heads TRUCKIN TO BUFFALO. Is Taylor Swift going to Buffalo? How about Iron Maiden? Katie Perry? Bruce Springsteen? I'd venture not (although could be wrong.)

I wonder how much feeling is in Jerry's fingertips as he's playing Mississippi Half Step.

Brent's definitely wigged out here. He's on something.

Listening to 10/1 and 10/2/77 (Dave's 45) and damnit, each time I listen to a Betty board I'm blow the eff away at how damn good that woman was at her job. Thank you, Betty, if you're out there. Thank you! Holy sheEt, do you realize how much happiness you've made possible, for so many people?

Better yet, listen in noise canceling headphones and your jaw will drop to the floor.

He's one to Betty Cantor-Jackson. You rock, Betty!

10/1/77

10/2/77

Listening to 10/1 and 10/2/77 (Dave's 45) and damnit, each time I listen to a Betty board I'm blow the eff away at how damn good that woman was at her job. Thank you, Betty, if you're out there. Thank you! Holy sheEt, do you realize how much happiness you've made possible, for so many people?

Better yet, listen in noise canceling headphones and your jaw will drop to the floor.

He's one to Betty Cantor-Jackson. You rock, Betty!

10/1/77

10/2/77

Betty made great recordings. Honestly it's hard for me to listen to late 77 as the quality of the recordings and music style changed (IMO drastically) compared to April / May / June. Specifically Keith started using this stupid tinkerbell organ sound, and not a piano, which sounded awful most of the time.

Betty made great recordings. Honestly it's hard for me to listen to late 77 as the quality of the recordings and music style changed (IMO drastically) compared to April / May / June. Specifically Keith started using this stupid tinkerbell organ sound, and not a piano, which sounded awful most of the time.
God grants you a one time visit via Time Machine to see an entire late ‘77 Dead show. Can’t trade up/down or bargain for any other era or year.

Do you accept?

Does a bear poop in the woods?
Is the Pope Catholic?
Does a one legged duck swim in circles?
Yes. Now that you’ve accepted and you have a late ‘77 show in hand, he offers you the possibility of a trade.

You can either keep the ticket to the late ‘77 show, or trade it for a trip to watch:

-two songs from any show of your favorite year, or

-a trip to unlimited ‘93, ‘94 and ‘95 shows.

Which of the three do you attend?

@thegenius

Yes. Now that you’ve accepted and you have a late ‘77 show in hand, he offers you the possibility of a trade.

You can either keep the ticket to the late ‘77 show, or trade it for a trip to watch:

-two songs from any show of your favorite year, or

-a trip to unlimited ‘93, ‘94 and ‘95 shows.

Which of the three do you attend?

@thegenius

I’ll do a full show in late ‘77.

I’ll do a full show in late ‘77.
Good choice and hope that Keith's plinkyboard was lower in the mix than the soundboards. I'd be tempted, though, to go with the '93-'95 choice. Even though the performances would be sloppy most nights, that would allow getting a Microbus, following them around and truly living the lifestyle. And, occasionally the magic pops up, like that Morning Dew from '94 and the occasional show, or song, here or there. Could still trade tape from the old great shows and listen.

Silly daydreaming.

Good choice and hope that Keith's plinkyboard was lower in the mix than the soundboards. I'd be tempted, though, to go with the '93-'95 choice. Even though the performances would be sloppy most nights, that would allow getting a Microbus, following them around and truly living the lifestyle. And, occasionally the magic pops up, like that Morning Dew from '94 and the occasional show, or song, here or there. Could still trade tape from the old great shows and listen.

Silly daydreaming.

A couple of things. I think following the dead in 93-95 was a significantly different experience versus the first 10 years of their existence. I'm not sure the vibe was anything different than what I see at Dead and Co concernts over the past 5 years (although there are some). So I thought about it for some time and I really just don't listen to the dead from 93-95, despite the fact there were some odd good shows here and there. I would rather see a "healthy" band back in the 70s.

If you could follow them around for 1 year, which would it be? That would be a tough choice for me, it would be either 72, 73 or 74. I would struggle with that one.

A couple of things. I think following the dead in 93-95 was a significantly different experience versus the first 10 years of their existence. I'm not sure the vibe was anything different than what I see at Dead and Co concernts over the past 5 years (although there are some). So I thought about it for some time and I really just don't listen to the dead from 93-95, despite the fact there were some odd good shows here and there. I would rather see a "healthy" band back in the 70s.

If you could follow them around for 1 year, which would it be? That would be a tough choice for me, it would be either 72, 73 or 74. I would struggle with that one.
'72.

You get the incredible Europe '72 with the original line up of the band (minus Constanten, but so what because Keith is better anyways, and who needs Mickey; plus I like Pigpen, although I know not everyone does) and you get to see Europe in a VW microbus with Deadheads. Then, you get Fall '72 which is when they really ramp up the Hunter/Garcia tunes, and are turning into that '73-'77 behemoth. Just take a stab at anything from Europe '72 or Fall '72 (i.e. Dick's Picks 36, which is one of their best releases ever) and it's going to be incredible.

'73 or '74 would be incredible, too, as they are their best years of experimentation and the jams are incredible. '77 would be amazing also, as I think they have the most accessible sound of their 30 years.

That being said, damn near everything between '72 and '77 is incredible. Truthfully, leading up to that, '68-'71 is almost every bit as good. While there's a noticeable drop-off in consistency from '78-'82, those years have some very VERY good shows and the band is still hitting smaller, but very real peaks.

'83-'84 are sparse, but largely forgettable.

'85 is strange, because Jerry's guitar playing quality noticeably shoots way back up and it's some of his most aggressive, fast, playing in years. It just sucks that his voice is starting to fall off as much as his playing re-peaks that year. Phil is wasted most shows and Healy is generally being a jack-a$s while ruining the recording style Betty perfected a decade earlier. But I remember '85 for some shows where Jerry is on fire enough that it's worth trudging through the bad, to find it.

'86 sucks

'87-88 are good, but I can't get past Jerry's obvious COPD-sounding voice. Plus the set lists drop in quality with weaker tunes replacing old Hunter/Garcia classics (why?! just why?!).

'89-'90 are very good, especially the shows Jerry learns how to sing within his newly constrained vocal range. This would have been the time for me to see them, if I wasn't too busy headbanging to Metallica, G n' R, emerging grunge and NWA.

'91 good only when Bruce plays. His playing is so good, it makes some of the shows worth it, by itself. it's like if Keith had the confidence to let it rip, rather than (quite masterfully) dropping diamonds and pearls, quietly in the background.

'92-'95 totally suck, I don't care what anyone says (accept for that one Morning Dew in '94 where Jerry seems to play like he's 29 again.)

But if you held a gun to me head and made me choose one year, it's '72 (but only if I get the whole year; if I only can see E '72, I'm trading it for Spring '77).

'72.

You get the incredible Europe '72 with the original line up of the band (minus Constanten, but so what because Keith is better anyways, and who needs Mickey; plus I like Pigpen, although I know not everyone does) and you get to see Europe in a VW microbus with Deadheads. Then, you get Fall '72 which is when they really ramp up the Hunter/Garcia tunes, and are turning into that '73-'77 behemoth. Just take a stab at anything from Europe '72 or Fall '72 (i.e. Dick's Picks 36, which is one of their best releases ever) and it's going to be incredible.

'73 or '74 would be incredible, too, as they are their best years of experimentation and the jams are incredible. '77 would be amazing also, as I think they have the most accessible sound of their 30 years.

That being said, damn near everything between '72 and '77 is incredible. Truthfully, leading up to that, '68-'71 is almost every bit as good. While there's a noticeable drop-off in consistency from '78-'82, those years have some very VERY good shows and the band is still hitting smaller, but very real peaks.

'83-'84 are sparse, but largely forgettable.

'85 is strange, because Jerry's guitar playing quality noticeably shoots way back up and it's some of his most aggressive, fast, playing in years. It just sucks that his voice is starting to fall off as much as his playing re-peaks that year. Phil is wasted most shows and Healy is generally being a jack-a$s while ruining the recording style Betty perfected a decade earlier. But I remember '85 for some shows where Jerry is on fire enough that it's worth trudging through the bad, to find it.

'86 sucks

'87-88 are good, but I can't get past Jerry's obvious COPD-sounding voice. Plus the set lists drop in quality with weaker tunes replacing old Hunter/Garcia classics (why?! just why?!).

'89-'90 are very good, especially the shows Jerry learns how to sing within his newly constrained vocal range. This would have been the time for me to see them, if I wasn't too busy headbanging to Metallica, G n' R, emerging grunge and NWA.

'91 good only when Bruce plays. His playing is so good, it makes some of the shows worth it, by itself. it's like if Keith had the confidence to let it rip, rather than (quite masterfully) dropping diamonds and pearls, quietly in the background.

'92-'95 totally suck, I don't care what anyone says (accept for that one Morning Dew in '94 where Jerry seems to play like he's 29 again.)

But if you held a gun to me head and made me choose one year, it's '72 (but only if I get the whole year; if I only can see E '72, I'm trading it for Spring '77).

No argument there...for me it would really focus on the year with the best jams. 72 jams are great, generally melodic in nature. Not super freaky. They alternate between Dark Star and TOO every show. Sept 72 and Europe 72 are delicious.

73 jams are more freaky...they really get out there at times. Plus you get Eyes, row jimmy row, Let It Grow, US blues or wave that flag. See 73 gives you more songs. some of the best meltdowns ever comes from 73.

74 jams are more varied and exploratory and the run of PITB jams from early 74 are simply the best. There is a youtube channel where a guy splies them together (2/22, 2/24, 5/14, 5/17, 5/19, and maybe cow palace in 3/73) and I will still to this day just put that on at work and listen to it. sublime. Plus the truckin' jams in 74 really take it to a new level. Prob with 74 is they played so infrequently as compared to 73 and 72.

I would prob do a coin toss between 73 and 74. and if I had to choose, I would probably do 74.

No argument there...for me it would really focus on the year with the best jams. 72 jams are great, generally melodic in nature. Not super freaky. They alternate between Dark Star and TOO every show. Sept 72 and Europe 72 are delicious.

73 jams are more freaky...they really get out there at times. Plus you get Eyes, row jimmy row, Let It Grow, US blues or wave that flag. See 73 gives you more songs. some of the best meltdowns ever comes from 73.

74 jams are more varied and exploratory and the run of PITB jams from early 74 are simply the best. There is a youtube channel where a guy splies them together (2/22, 2/24, 5/14, 5/17, 5/19, and maybe cow palace in 3/73) and I will still to this day just put that on at work and listen to it. sublime. Plus the truckin' jams in 74 really take it to a new level. Prob with 74 is they played so infrequently as compared to 73 and 72.

I would prob do a coin toss between 73 and 74. and if I had to choose, I would probably do 74.
Honestly, I'd take anything between '68 and '77, without complaint.

Found a TOO you may not have heard and probably will like. Hang on through the brief aud patch. There’s great stuff before, during and after. Plus, Jerry plays things on the Truckin' before it, I don't think I've heard him play before. Gem.

8/20/72 San Jose

PS: The whole second set is great. (Don’t bother with 1st set).

Last edited:
Found a TOO you may not have heard and probably will like. Hang on through the brief aud patch. There’s great stuff before, during and after. Plus, Jerry plays things on the Truckin' before it, I don't think I've heard him play before. Gem.

8/20/72 San Jose

PS: The whole second set is great. (Don’t bother with 1st set).

Yup that is a nice freakout in the middle. I started with Truckin and just filing papers on this lovely Sunday afternoon while I listen to this.