Forced to resign from Walgreens after making sexual innuendo to a technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
she is like 20. 11 years younger than I am.
I'm giving you the green light to proceed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Being socially inept, I just can't figure out the proper way to interact with the young techs with topics not related to work, no matter how cute or hot they may be. I just keep my mouth shut and simply smile and nod.

It sounds like they were looking for an excuse to get rid of you.

Lesson learned: Do your best to avoid giving others the opportunity to say anything bad about you.

All the best on the new job.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like they were looking for an excuse to get rid of you.

Lesson learned: Do your best to avoid giving others the opportunity to say anything bad about you.

All the best on the new job.
Thank you. That is what I needed.

They offered a physician $20 an hour! That should make you feel better.
I worked for 6 months at 20 dollars an hour after I got out of pharmacy school. It was an independent pharmacy in Houston.

Hi

I worked for Walgreens for a while now. I recently was given the option to resign because of making sexual innuendo to tech. Does that stay on my employee record? Can I return to the company in the future? I wrote on my resignation as moving to another location and resign for family reason. They accepted it. Any guidance on how to deal with the issue will be appreciated. Thank.

I read your posts and and want to offer you some help. It may come across harsh, but my intent is to help you. I would say you are lost in so far as understanding the work game. You learn it one way or another through experiences like this which will hurt your employment record or you can learn in advance and help yourself.

It definitely sounds like you were targeted for separation from the company then were suckered into being honest and agreeing to quit. One sexual remark would be unlikely to get you fired anywhere depending on the circumstances. Plus its hard to prove. There's video in pharmacies, but I doubt there is audio. Three people heard it? So what one of them was you. They had to sucker you into quitting because they couldn't even get you fired with the evidence to fire you. They probably sold you on it as them doing you a favor. The only problem with quitting in lieu of getting fired is that it is almost the same as getting fired. Some employers will ask this question when you apply. If you lie on the application, then are discovered you may get fired for lying on the employment application. And since you admitted it, you protected the company from litigation.

What would I do?
1. Work only at places like Walgreens if you can't get a job anywhere else.
2. Never trust your employer. Your goal is to keep your job, make $. Their's is to make the biggest profit and as soon as they don't need you, you will be gone.
3. Be honest and ethical, but don't be stupid. It sounds like the techs you were working with were already engaged in a sexual conversation, so the remark was NOT unwelcome. Big difference between that and harassing someone.but since you were there I would let you judge it.
4. Know yourself and your strengths/weaknesses this is how your reputation will be built.

Welcome to the bigtime.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hi

Two of the tech went to report me.They waited two month after the incident to report me. I think that is just to get back at me for some reason. So One of the tech is doing the witnessing. That tech is later fired for a separate reason. At the same time that I resign. I thought the best way is to be honest. So I admit making sexual joke. I should have denied it. They didn’t have any recording or anything. The manager said that three people heard my joke and the best way is to be honest.I do agree with the previous post about an excuse to replace me with the younger grads. I had four stores that submitted negative feedback on me. But then they immediately receive positive feedbacks that I improve. I asked the managers at the other store to fill out good review for me. The investigation took four weeks. HR comes with recommendations to terminate. But my DM let me resign. They had 2 grad interns who are getting licensed soon . I guess that is to make room for them.
Nothing person Sir. It's just economics of a free market. Why continue to pay you a high wage when they can replace you in a second with a hungry new grad making $45 an hour. It's the circle of life. Hopefully you had enough time to at least pay off your school debts. I think If you get to work for at least 20 years in pharmacy that is success; enough time to pay off your debts and come out a little ahead. 15,000 new grads a year is a serious force.

Also what was the joke? i enjoy jokes and would love to hear it here unless it's too inappropriate to say here? which i doubt because you seem like a gentleman of class and sophistication.

Nothing person Sir. It's just economics of a free market. Why continue to pay you a high wage when they can replace you in a second with a hungry new grad making $45 an hour. It's the circle of life. Hopefully you had enough time to at least pay off your school debts. I think If you get to work for at least 20 years in pharmacy that is success; enough time to pay off your debts and come out a little ahead. 15,000 new grads a year is a serious force.

Also what was the joke? i enjoy jokes and would love to hear it here unless it's too inappropriate to say here? which i doubt because you seem like a gentleman of class and sophistication.
Hi Modest Anteater.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
With everything going on in the news, I think it is dangerous to try to get someone fired. If this person can’t find work, get depressed or go crazy, guess what...He might just come back to the store. This has happened way too often.

So what's the alternative? Let cancer run amok at your workplace and do whatever he/she wants?

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's the alternative? Let cancer run amok at your workplace and do whatever he/she wants?

If it is an inappropriate comment then a warning is fair. Transfer is an option but to try to destroy his career is dangerous. If there is a 1% risk of him going back to the store and causing mayhem, is it worth it? That means if you do it to 100 pharmacists, one will do something stupid. I am not talking about just pharmacists. I am also talking about clerks, store managers who don’t have the same opportunity as most pharmacists.

Ultimately you do what you have to do. If someone is a customer service liability or stealing you have to get rid of them regardless of the risk they gonna be a little bitch and get himself a gun. Now if you want to do constructive termination, fine but there's the possibility they'll try to ride it out. But once you have to call 911 it's too late anyway

Ultimately you do what you have to do. If someone is a customer service liability or stealing you have to get rid of them regardless of the risk they gonna be a little bitch and get himself a gun. Now if you want to do constructive termination, fine but there's the possibility they'll try to ride it out. But once you have to call 911 it's too late anyway

CVS or Wag or whoever...they can do whatever they want to do but it is you, not them, who might have to face the consequence. A lot of mentally disturbed people out there.

Well, it's 2019. You gotta be careful with words. There are consequences to your actions whether you think it's fair or not. We just gotta learn to not give them any reasons to fire us.

There is inherent risk in any retail environment, and higher so in areas with higher % of mentally ill customers and people with poor impulse control

OP please pm me the joke. I am sorry this happened to you. One of the techs I work with was complaining about our PIC and I was just nodding along and she went back and told the PIC I had problems with the management lol

• Wow
I worked for 6 months at 20 dollars an hour after I got out of pharmacy school. It was an independent pharmacy in Houston.

As a post grad intern or RPh?

Please don’t say Rph....

(FYI - waiters/bartenders make more than $20 an hour. During undergrad I was making that at Denny’s..yea, Denny’s. Lol)

Please don’t say Rph....

(FYI - waiters/bartenders make more than $20 an hour. During undergrad I was making that at Denny’s..yea, Denny’s. Lol)
I worked as an RPH. I just needed 6 month experiences then i find something else.

Please don’t say Rph....

My friend in new york waited table for 8 month after her Rite Aid closed. She needed to pay the bill

Hi

I worked for Walgreens for a while now. I recently was given the option to resign because of making sexual innuendo to tech. Does that stay on my employee record? Can I return to the company in the future? I wrote on my resignation as moving to another location and resign for family reason. They accepted it. Any guidance on how to deal with the issue will be appreciated. Thank.
Reminds me of how a girl I worked with and gave a ride back home had to make up stories about me that I was making passes at her because people thought something was going on between us. Word got back to me and I threatened to report her to HR for making false accusations about me and she remorsefully apoligized and cleared my name. She ended lying her way around and became a supervisor before I left. Women can be deadly. Fear them.

Reminds me of how a girl I worked with and gave a ride back home had to make up stories about me that I was making passes at her because people thought something was going on between us. Word got back to me and I threatened to report her to HR for making false accusations about me and she remorsefully apoligized and cleared my name. She ended lying her way around and became a supervisor before I left. Women can be deadly. Fear them.

If people know you have a big bazooka in your pocket then you don’t have to take it out and people won’t mess with you. Perception is the key. Act strong. Back it up with action.

Being socially inept, I just can't figure out the proper way to interact with the young techs with topics not related to work, no matter how cute or hot they may be. I just keep my mouth shut and simply smile and nod.

Dude you just gotta let the swag show.

If people know you have a big bazooka in your pocket then you don’t have to take it out and people won’t mess with you...
I know this is immature but this first sentence made me realize I need to get my head out of the gutters.