forced withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdk102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I go to a dental school in west coast, and I am now forced to withdraw by the school.

1. Anyone knows anyone who re-entered the dental school after they withdrew when reapplied? (I would like to ask him/her personally for details)
2. Also, I wonder if it is required to write out the transcript from the dental school I attended when I reapply to other dental schools.
3. Are all dental schools have a student's information whether or not they have attended any dental school when they apply?
4. What is the chance to re-enter the dental school after withdrawal?

Please help! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It might help to have an idea why you were forced to withdraw.

One thing I have to say, it will certainly depend on why you were forced to withdraw.

If it was due to your grades, I would guess that you have a chance to re-enter Dental school somewhere else. I am almost certain it will be tough though.

If it was some form of misconduct that would really depend on the severity.

I don't really know much about this situation though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clearing house will show what schools you were at.
Be honest is the key.

It is possible to get accepted to another school. I knew of one student who flunked out one school only to reattend Howard the following year. Your chance would be a lot higher if you're considered 'minority.'

If you withdrew on good terms with a dental school, why not see if you can defer for a year and come back? If you withdrew because of academic misconduct or poor grades I doubt any school in the nation would accept you.

It'd be easy to do a background check on you (which dental schools do) and that would reveal every school you've ever attended.

well according to my uncle at USC who is an adcom member, there is 0 chance of getting into usc regardless of why you were dismissed.

The school's requesting that you withdraw. That's them trying to be polite and give you the chance to pursue other dreams without harming your chances.

Face the truth here. Either you f'd up severely, or you're just not right for dentistry. Be objective here. Forget how much you want to be a dentist for a minute. Are you right for the field?

The school's requesting that you withdraw. That's them trying to be polite and give you the chance to pursue other dreams without harming your chances.

Face the truth here. Either you f'd up severely, or you're just not right for dentistry. Be objective here. Forget how much you want to be a dentist for a minute. Are you right for the field?

I don't think your comment is called for. The student is going through a difficult time in his life right now, and that's all you have to say to him. I have learned if you don't have something nice to say don't say nothing at all. I don't know the kind of dentist you'll make, if you don't have compassion to your fellow human.

Kdk102

It all depends on why you where asked to withdraw. It will be difficult, but it can be done. If you can explain to us why, then we can see how we can help you. Hang in there. Help us help you. Thanks

I agree with dentstd for getting straight to the point.

Last edited:
29 years ago my classmate flunked out of Emory DS, only to appear at NYU the following year. He knew a lot about teeth already, did well freshman year, and graduated with us. No one in administration ever knew. With computerized records and the internet now, my guess is this could not happen. The new DS will see where you have attended when the financial aid info comes through, so there will not be any way around it. Be straight up with the new schools and see where you stand.

Hi Bud,
I dont wanna seem mean or anything but I wanted to tell you something that my dentist told me. His best friend in dental school was forced to withdraw because of mal practice in the clinics. The accident occured when he was goofing around, but he genuinely wanted to be a dentist. He applied every year after his withdraw for 7 years and finally decided that his dream was over. My dentist told me this when I was interning for him to let me know how serious the job was and how important it is to be a professional at all times, even in dental school. I dont know why you got were force to redraw and certainly hope that your reason wasnt as severe as his. Best of luck reapplying to schools this year.

If you withdrew on good terms with a dental school, why not see if you can defer for a year and come back? If you withdrew because of academic misconduct or poor grades I doubt any school in the nation would accept you.

It'd be easy to do a background check on you (which dental schools do) and that would reveal every school you've ever attended.

I dont think this is true. From what I understand you have to submit past schools. Besides you could always ask your school to do a FERPA block to the studentclearinghouse. I believe they are the main traders in our personal info.

Clearing house will show what schools you were at.
Be honest is the key.

call them, they are not accurate at all.. does any other place keep track??

I dont think this is true. From what I understand you have to submit past schools. Besides you could always ask your school to do a FERPA block to the studentclearinghouse. I believe they are the main traders in our personal info.

is the "student clearing house" different than the "national clearing house" ?

I dont know what the student clearing house is, but i called the national clearing house, they knew of 5 of the schools ive been too, but had no idea about 4 of the others I had been to, including the medical school that i flunked out of, OR my undergrad degree school.

ok, there is one more place that admins can call to find out about you - if you have had federal stafford loans - 1-800-433-3243 dial 0, ask for the borrower tracker program, give them your ssn/dob and they will list schools that they have on record of you attending that you used staffords with.

this actually had my school that the national student clearinghouse didnt have, so im screwed. i have to disclose.

this is a near impossible question to answer without more information. if you withdrew because of academic integrity issues or for grades, you will have a very hard time getting back into any dental school. It wont be impossible because years down the line, you may be given a second chance, becuase everyone makes mistakes. if it was for other reasons, it will depend on the situation and whether it was under your control or not. Since you have failed to provide more information, I'm assuming its for an academic/integrity issue, and therefore, you may have a long, long road ahead of you in getting back into dentistry.

What would be reasons for someone to forcibly withdraw anyways? Just curious.

bumping thread with a similar question...

Say you just can't make it at school ____, and you withdraw rather than repeating the year. What would be your chances of getting into a different school. You would need to reapply via aadsas, would you need to submit transcripts from the school you couldn't make it at?