PhD/PsyD Fordham Counseling Psychology Ph.D. – Research and clinical training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsyHike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I am currently leaning toward choosing the Counseling Psychology Ph.D. program at Fordham University. Unfortunately, I couldn't find more information about the program from people who have first- or second-hand knowledge of it. I have spoken to a couple of first-year students, but their experience is limited, and there were no opportunities to speak directly to more senior students. Can anyone shed any light on this program? I am particularly interested in how research-productive the students can be and how supportive is the program regarding clinical training since it seems to be done exclusively through externships.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am particularly interested in how research-productive the students can be and how supportive is the program regarding clinical training since it seems to be done exclusively through externships.
With regard to research productivity, something that I've done when investigating programs is look up graduate students online to find any Google Scholar or ResearchGate pages or if their CV is posted to see what they've done while in the program. Would you feel comfortable emailing any of the senior students to ask questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
With regard to research productivity, something that I've done when investigating programs is look up graduate students online to find any Google Scholar or ResearchGate pages or if their CV is posted to see what they've done while in the program. Would you feel comfortable emailing any of the senior students to ask questions?
Thanks for the reply! I don’t have any of the students’ emails, so emailing them is not really possible. The program was kind enough to provide the recent publications and presentations by the students, so I can see the output. I’m just curious if it’s the students’ choice to not proceed to the publishing stage beyond the poster presentation/talk or if the faculty members are not generally supportive of publishing while in the program for whatever reason.

So, I just googled it and it looks like it's through the school of education which offers pretty sparse assistantships. So, partially funded, probably if you're lucky. Tuition is $1,442 per credit! :eek:

This is the site the program website redirects you to: GSE Tuition and Financial Assistance | Fordham
Partially funded through GAships that are offered to everyone in the first year where the course load is the highest (limited GAship in the second year as well). Funding was figured out early in the process, not the issue I’m concerned about.

Partially funded through GAships that are offered to everyone in the first year where the course load is the highest (limited GAship in the second year as well). Funding was figured out early in the process, not the issue I’m concerned about.

Your GSE GA looks like it covers one course and tuition is still $1,442/credit.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s $34,608 for the first year and GAship covers half of it. Again, not one of the issues in the post.

It’s $34,608 for the first year and GAship covers half of it. Again, not one of the issues in the post.

Doesn't mean it's not important. This is not a high paying field and you want to be cautious with how much debt you accrue. Sounds like your mind's made up though, so good luck to you.

Check the faculty CVs and see how many student authors are listed on pubs and presentations. Usually it's denoted with an "*"

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't mean it's not important. This is not a high paying field and you want to be cautious with how much debt you accrue. Sounds like your mind's made up though, so good luck to you.

Check the faculty CVs and see how many student authors are listed on pubs and presentations. Usually it's denoted with an "*"
Thank you.

And it's in NYC, so very high cost of living on top of accruing debt from tuition and other costs of attendance.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.