foreign DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Berto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a post-bac pre-med student who has just sent in my apps. for both DO and MD programs. Even though I think that I have a fair chance for both, I am leaning toward DO. My only question is "is it possible for a DO to practice overseas (such as Europe, Italy in particular) with the same level of "certification" they have in the U.S. I lived in Europe after my undergrad. and would like to go back for a time. Is DO going to hurt any chances of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that US-trained DOs are not granted the same practicing rights as their MD counterparts in many countries. This is the general rule, though there are exceptions. Most countries only allow DOs to practice manipulative medicine. However, I'm also under the impression that the AOA is working to get US-trained DOs full practicing rights in these countries.

I recommend checking the AOA's website. That's where I remember reading something about this. I do recall some mention, on the website, of which countries do/don't grant DOs full practicing rights.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 06-17-2000).]

DocGibby,

You are correct. DOs cannot prescribe medicine or perform surgery outside of the US. I believe America is the only country to call them osteopathic physicians, whereas the other countries still refer to them as osteopaths.

Rocky

Members don't see this ad :)
Robby,

nope, your are mistaken. There are many countries which grant US TRAINED DOs full practice rights. The AOA has a list. In reality, there are more countries that do grant US trained DOs full practice rights than countries than don't. However, it is a common misconception that most countries don't. I speculate that the reason for this is that most everyone tries to be familiar with practice rights in other English speaking countries and these are the countries that "en bloc" do not grant US DOs full practice rights (unfortunately, it is a politically motivated discrimination - but this would be a long discussion). Hence the misconception that other countries do the same.

The AOA can also try to negotiate individual waivers in many countries.

Thanks guys, I will check with the AOA and try to make the best decision for me. I have tons more questions and will post soon.

Berto,

I dug up the list of foreign countries which grant US trained DOs unrestricted practice from the AOA Yearbook 1996 and Italy was among them.

In 1996, in addition to Italy, the following countries granted US trained DOs full practice rights:
Argentina, Austria, Cameron, Canada (some provinces only), Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Columbia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Greece, Guyana, Israel, Italy, Liberia, Luxemburg, Micronesia, Nepal, Nigeria, Panama, Russia, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Sweden, Zambia.

The following countries did not allow US trained DOs to practice at all:
Aruba, Bahamas, Belize, India, Ireland, Mexico, Malaysia, Morroco, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Uganda.

The following countries allowed US trained DOs to practice only OMT:
Australia, Barbados, Bermuda, France, Great Britain, Jamaica, New Zeland, Norway, South Africa, Zimbawe.

Keep in mind that this data is from 1996, so things may have changed. If someone has a more current list, please post it for everyone's benefit!

Arghhhh. 4 years of Spanish, down the drain. (where's the crying smily face when you need it?)

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 06-17-2000).]