Foreign pharmacist looking to get into a US medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaoko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi !

I have a french doctorate of pharmacy (it is a 6 year-degree equivalent to a pharmD) and I would like to know if I can directly apply to a US medical school if I pass the MCAT or if I have to redo all or some of the prerequisites.
I know that my degree is recognized in Canada and that I can directly apply to Mcgill medical school if I pass the MCAT.

Thanks in advance !

Members don't see this ad.

4 things.

1. US MD schools typically require about two years of undergrad work, including the prereqs, to be done at a US college, for applicants coming from outside the US. There are more than US MD schools, and each is in charge of their own rules on this.

2. There is no "passing" score on the MCAT. You want the highest score you can get. A 32 is average for accepted applicants; as a foreign national you'd want much higher than that.

3. If you don't have US citizenship or permanent residency, you have extremely poor odds of getting into a US MD school. Canadian citizens do a little better than others, but generally US MD schools are incredibly restrictive.

4. If you do get in as a foreign national, you typically have to put the full cost of 4 years into an escrow account. That's around $250,000.

Best of luck to you.

As an addendum, a number of US schools require International applicants to have three years of US or Canadian coursework, at least one requires a full bachelors degree, and a handful require only one year of US coursework. Repeating all the prerequisites, which also vary a bit from school to school, is generally obligatory.