Foreign Veterinarian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WolfenAxel

Reaction score
Hello friends,

For a while now I’ve been trying to search for a new country to set up in and practice veterinary medicine. To keep it short, I set my mind on Canada, BC or ON. After some “research” I have found out that foreign veterinarians need to undergo a bunch of exams such as CPE NAVLE and BCSE( i’m a little confused about this one).

Now my questions
Has anyone completed these steps before?
Do I need to fly to Canada for each exam or I can have them taken somewhere from Europe?
How long does it take to do them all?

Members don't see this ad.

For english test, Bcse and Navle you can take it in your home country. But for Cpe you have to go to North America.

The NAVLE is given in various places in Europe, but less frequently than in the US. Check on the Prometric website - they administer the test: ProScheduler The BCSE can also be taken at testing centers internationally, and Prometric also administers those: ProScheduler

The CPE can only be taken in the US or Canada - it is several days long, and I've been told it's quite rigorous.

I know several people who've gone through the process to become licensed in Canada (in Ontario, where I live) -- they tell me it took them a long time, because there was a lot of time between tests due to waiting lists and infrequent testing in some locations. It can take anywhere from 2-6 years, depending on those factors, and cost anywhere from $2000 -$15,000 depending on how long it takes and how often you need to travel somewhere to take the tests.