1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Form AT, and that stupid mutations problem

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by basha, Aug 18, 2002.

1. basha

basha Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yea I had that really really tough form. But just to make sure I wasnt the only who thought that. Can some genius tell me what the answer for that mutations problem was........where the choices were all A*Y*Z*/A*Y*Z*. I dont even know what I put as an answer, all i know is, i spent about five minutes trying to figure it out. Also, did anyone get that ekg passage question, the one asking about how the guys T curve changed after the experiment when he started running. I said it would be higher, atleast i think i put that. I totally guesses all of it, but who knows...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. judoka

judoka Membership Revoked
    Removed

If you are talking about the lac operon passage, i think the answer was D. The answer was like this i thing : I-O+Z+/I+OcZ-. That was a tough one.

4. basha

basha Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ok, how did u figure that one out. I know that the I mutant cant effect the other allele, jus its own, and the O can effect both. But whats up with the answers, so many same ones.

5. judoka

judoka Membership Revoked
    Removed

I+ can affect both dna strips, because it codes for a protein that inhibits the stuff...i forget, i know it's d though.

6. dark_scientist

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The point was to find the mutant that had an intact operator gene and B-gal gene (O+ and Z+) but a defective gene for the inhibitor (which binds to the operator). The other mutant can have a defective operator and Bgal gene but must have a functional I gene. Answer D is right.

7. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

the trick was that O was cis acting, so the normal O had to be with the normal Z...........the normal I however, since it was trans acting, could be on a chromsome separate from the normal O and Z. ..........O+ and Z+ had to be together....................that was the trick.....the end of the passage talked about what cis and trans acting were.

nero