Form BG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Damian234

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's the one I got... didn't find any of the sections particularly easy.

Any comments or questions?

D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I had form BG. I found the Physical Sciences section very challenging, but I still had the pre-test jitters at that point. Once I settled down, the Verbal and Bio sections seemed pretty straightforward with the exception of a couple questions. :cool:

I hated the physics section. especially this one question about the speed of radio signal from the satellite to the earth. it was the easiest one ever and i couldn't get the right answer. basically the satellite is 150,000,000 (150 million) km from earth. and the speed of the signal is 300,000 km/s. How long does it take it to reach earth?
The answer choices were like

a. 3.2 hours
b. 6 hours
c. 37 hours
d. 50 hours

the lowest one was 3.2 hours. after calculating this thing 3 times 10 to the gudzillionth power times I came up with exact same answer :
500 seconds. not one choice did even approach this!
ughhhh!!!!

anyway, does anyone remember this problem or am I totally getting it wrong?

the other crap i found annoying was all those rate flow problems. i really didn't study them as much as i should have.

and what the $# is the difference between apo sweat glands and exo sweat gland?

and how much does a man's body heat up after carrying 100 kg up blah blah blah if he doesn't cool? i thought it was something like 2 K....although it was a pure guess.

i know i know i am an anal premed. but you would be an anal premed if you studied for this test for 9 months.

ps. is aamc going to send special forces to lobotomize me for "memorizing" the copyright info?

I had the EXACT same problem with the radio wave question. (I seem to recall finding an answer but I can't remember which)

For the one on sweat glands, it asked what function was shared by both types...I found this on the internet about sweat:

"A physiological mechanism in which the body secrets salt containing fluids to help dissipating heat which is produced by exercise and hot environments. It is part of the thermal regulation of the body. Hyperhidrosis is that clinical situation where the sweat production is beyond the physiological need.

There are two main sweat glands. Eccrine and Apocrine glands. The eccrine glands are known to be influenced by the sympathetic system. These eccrine glands are producing the watery type of sweat. The apocrine glands are producing more of an oily secretion of sweat. In the armpit the two types of glands are combined creating mixed results as it relates to the ETS procedure. "

So apparently the answer was that they both are involved with thermoregulation.

D

Members don't see this ad :)
I got BG too.....

Overall could have been worse. A couple of questions here there I had no clue (sweat glands!)

koma,
i spent toooo much time on that speed of signal problem, so i remember this question very very well. I got 500 sec in one of my attempts too! After 5 mins of different permutations I realized, the passage said that the satellite was 700 AU away from earth and 1 AU was 150000000 km. Multiply both of them together and divide by speed of light...Eureka...an answer that was close to one of the answer choices. Wasted too much time on that question.

Sweat glands....didn't even think about studying skin.

Body heat...i remember putting 2K too...

ITS OVER !!!!!!!

Oh yeah... that was it. But it was 70 AU.

There was at least one more question that required too much calculation (I thought) and I just ended upskipping (guessing). It had to do with grams of something... seemed like too much work for one point.

i had BG too. the physical section was tough. verbal was fair. bio seemed easy.

now the wait for scores begin.

I took that form too.

I think that the form was not easy. It was on the harder side I thought. Verbal was alright. Phys and Bio were just harder than 6R or 5R (bit harder than 6R, but a lot harder than 5R).

I had that Physics wave question. I think I put down 9.7h (which for me was an answer choice).

Shucks, I got the sweat gland thing wrong. I put down Pheremones.

On the bio section, I thought the passage with dam and MGMT genes was just hard. Also, the second to last passage (Orgo--X).

I also took it with a bad cold and fever (not SARS). I was just striving to not faint in the Bio section. Talk about bad luck! :rolleyes:

I really learned something today--don't take yourself too seriously. Have humor with your failures... laugh at yourself. It's really funny... :laugh:

There was an orgo question on a complicated reaction scheme... it asked what kind of group you would add to a ring to speed up the reaction...

the choices were bulky, small, electron donating or electron withdrawing (all possible combinations). Did you guys get that easly? I had some trouble with it. I said small and electron withdrawing, but i wasn't sure.

D

Remember some of the the questions on the MCAT are experimental, and *not* included in your score. I remember feeling terrible after the physical sciences section, ended up getting 10 though..I think most people miss a lot of physical sciences questions.

Also, getting a harder form might actually be good, since the forms are scaled to one another.

Originally posted by carrigallen
Remember some of the the questions on the MCAT are experimental, and *not* included in your score.

Where does AAMC say this? Where have they ever said this? People continually say this, but the only spot it is ever traced back to is some Kaplan sales pitch.

From what AAMC said in their Student Manual in the mid 90s, they will omit questions with factual errors, but that is all they have ever said about a question not being scored.

Why does this rumor continue to propogate without substantiation?

Originally posted by Damian234
There was an orgo question on a complicated reaction scheme... it asked what kind of group you would add to a ring to speed up the reaction...

the choices were bulky, small, electron donating or electron withdrawing (all possible combinations). Did you guys get that easly? I had some trouble with it. I said small and electron withdrawing, but i wasn't sure.

D

ya i had that question you are right. you want it small and not bulky cuase itw as like an SN2 type deal with a nucleophile. and yes withdrawing made it more susceptible to attack BUT what the ****.. on the new ****ign brand new gudlines it was like NOTHING On benzene rings? what the **** ya know. lucky i had just known that stuff but really those ****ers

I read that there were no alkenes on this yar's test... did they really say no benzene?

D

ugh i hate verbal
i think i totally failed...
physics and bio were ok...bio was easy...but verbal, ugh!
i got 9.7 hours too...

what did you guys get for the one on verbal about florida state and the "remedy" for those who are greedy and want to get rich quick?

anyother verbal questions we can discuss? =D

damn verbal

Hello

I had form BN, but many of the questions overlapped with what you guys have posted so far.

Physical sciences: the answer to the wave question was 9.7 hrs (if you had that choice, I did) But the flow stuff, solubility of ethanol, and solubility junk with 10,000 ppm of NaF(parts per million...what the fudge...whateve') was annoyin' as heeellll.

Verbal: that Florida passage was a pain too. So, was the one about memes. Also, damn Literary Criticism...artist wanna bees (sorry...that passage was really corny) Tough over all

Org: thought was straightfoward and the answer was electron withdrawing groups Damian

Bio: okay overall except the passage about tumor cells with alkylatiion. Though alkylation activated certain cells in the model organism, it did not in humans...blah blah...dumb logic stuff...

ITS OVER...now I can start worrying for the scores...may GOD have some mercy for me..

GOOD LUCK to YOU ALL

Umm...small comment...probably shouldn't be discussing specific questions online (c.f. MCAT regulations) :)

I picked small and electron withdrawing for the orgo question. I'm pretty sure it's correct. However, for the increase in temperature of a man's body I chose .5 Kelvin, which I don't think is correct.

Originally posted by Damian234
I had the EXACT same problem with the radio wave question. (I seem to recall finding an answer but I can't remember which)

For the one on sweat glands, it asked what function was shared by both types...I found this on the internet about sweat:

"A physiological mechanism in which the body secrets salt containing fluids to help dissipating heat which is produced by exercise and hot environments. It is part of the thermal regulation of the body. Hyperhidrosis is that clinical situation where the sweat production is beyond the physiological need.

There are two main sweat glands. Eccrine and Apocrine glands. The eccrine glands are known to be influenced by the sympathetic system. These eccrine glands are producing the watery type of sweat. The apocrine glands are producing more of an oily secretion of sweat. In the armpit the two types of glands are combined creating mixed results as it relates to the ETS procedure. "

So apparently the answer was that they both are involved with thermoregulation.

D

I found the following, albeit on Primates:

"1. No species of primates so far studied used apocrine glands in
thermoregulation.

4. Large bodied primates, when subjected to heat stress, produce
eccrine sweat though not in amounts that would provide
significant cooling."

Apocrine is definitely involved in pheromone production, but many insist that it is not involved in thermoregulation. My physiology text suggests that eccrine glands are involved in thermoregulation.

This was a very bad question, and can be argued in either direction. Furthermore, a general biology text does not even make the distinction.

Originally posted by jasonparks
I picked small and electron withdrawing for the orgo question. I'm pretty sure it's correct. However, for the increase in temperature of a man's body I chose .5 Kelvin, which I don't think is correct.

for the 2nd question you use the q=mc (delta) T equation
and i think the answer was 1 K.

Some questions:

Is it really vs. mcat regulations to discuss specific questions? that seems insane. (even though it's not doing us much good to discuss them, i suppose...just adds to hte agony)

are some questions REALLY experimental? (hallelujah!) does the chance of them being experimental increase the more forms have them? b/c a lot of the ?'s y'all are describing were on my form too (AS)

it doesn't seem like they might be experimental, actually....how would they calculate the scaling...do they just give you that question free...

okay, gonna stop being the anal pre-med now, go have some fun...

I had form BG too. I thought the Physical scienes section had some challanging problems. My main grip with the section is that is seems like it had more calculation heavy questions than practice exams. I felt liek verbal had some difficult questions, but none of the passges I woudl call "killer". I could at least comphrened them all (not like some PR passages.) Bio had some hard but not killer. There was more orgo than I thought would be on there. The free standing questions seemed harder than AAMC 5 and 6. Now all we can do is just wait.

Take Care

what did you guys get for the physics question about the ramp and ball...the answer choices were:

v^0
V^1
V^2
1/v

it asked how to find time it takes to reach the ground....

also, for verbal, the art buildings psg, what was the pt? just that three architects were creative and didn't mind sacrificing engineering for beauty and aesthetics?