Form CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mutt

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I finished it.

That's all I can right about now, folks.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

yay, we're done!!!

PS - no big surprises....i circled 20+ problems to go back to but ended up with less than 30 seconds to spare...we'll see how that fairs....blah...this was my best section during practice exams :(

VS - passages were actually interesting...a lot of "science" psgs i thought....nothing too scary....but usually my worst section....beware of WATER BUGS!!!!

BS - this was interesting...i would finish practice exams with 0-15 minutes left...today i finished in just over an hour!!!.....hmmmm...????...heavy on molecular.....i went back and reread psgs I - VI and found a few mistakes....we'll see

go out and party!!!!!!! drinks on me

So are we the only ones that took Form CS on all of SDN? :p

The PS was about right. Had to straight, 100% guess on 8.

Verbal was suspiciously easy. All the science helped keep my attention - so glad there was none of that abstract humanities crap.

BS was tougher than other BS sections I've seen, even Kaplan. (especially that damn 1st passage on the Shh/Fcfg110/Hip1 protein pathway.) The questions just seemed more cryptic.

I felt a little differently about CS

PS- guessed on about 2 passages but was doable

VS- The 2-10 question passages threw me off with time. Had to guess on the last passage and work really fast towards the end. Didn't think the passages themselves were difficult but did not have a good feeling about it when I was done

BS- Lots of reading comprehension for bio and easy orgo passages.

I am just glad it is over!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm pissed that our form was as easy as it was. It'll make for a much tighter curve.

The harder the test, the better.

MB in SD said:
Yeah, I'm pissed that our form was as easy as it was. It'll make for a much tighter curve.

The harder the test, the better.

agreed :(.....oh well...time to get crackin on all those secondaries that piled up :) and enjoy all the end-of-summer parties :)

Form CS seems to be entirely under-represented.

MB in SD said:
Form CS seems to be entirely under-represented.

I had form CS.

I thought PS was tough-was running out of time because I was taking more time to do questions in the beginning and middle-definitely was upset after this section because I usually do fine in it.

VR-thought it was straightforward and passages weren't too bad. Waterbugs and RoboTuna were interesting. :)

BS-Not too bad, but some passages were tough (like that first one). Kinda threw me off guard but then I think I got going and finished in enough time.

Overall, not too bad, but I definitely could have done better in PS if I didn't spend too much time on the early passages.

I had form CT, and it seems as if we had the same bio and verbal passages, so our forms were probably very similar.

I thought that PS was fine except for the fact that I misread one of the equations on the anti-reflective coating passage (well, I *think* that you guys had this passage, too). I ended up getting none of the answer choices on the two quantitative answers and only later realized that I missed 3 words which added another variable in the equation...

Verbal was all right, I thought. Water bugs are the "best!" (Eew.) I rather enjoyed RoboTuna, and I was happy with the political science/philosophy passages that we got, as well.

Bio sciences didn't go as well as I had hoped, actually. I think that I was counting on more orgo, and I got caught up on a couple of passages. I also didn't know what a center of symmetry was (never learned it in class...), so I had to think it out on the last question of the exam. I definitely was bummed that there weren't many questions on physiology because I reviewed how the eye, ear, etc. worked during the break... Oh well.

I, too, am afraid that the curve for all of the sections will be steep. The forms that my friends took seemed quite a bit harder from what they were telling me. I always end up doing better tests with harder curves (sigh), but I guess we'll see two months or so.

I guess I am about the only one who did not think the verbal was easy... I guess that'll mean that the curve is going to be even less generous with me when it come to verbal. uggghh... I hate verbal... I hope the water bugs passage was an experimental...

Well, I have been known to be over-confident in verbal, which is detrimental to one's score. So I could have very well been in the single digits with it. (I've felt the same I have about it before and been in the singles, so it's hard to tell)

Of the ones I remember, I thought the one on bridges had tricky questions. Internet or ships? ;)

So did the one about Economics as religion, that one had some tough inference questions....

Physical Sciences got me too with that reflective coating crap and the very last one about black-body radiation was about 70% guess.

MB in SD said:
Well, I have been known to be over-confident in verbal, which is detrimental to one's score. So I could have very well been in the single digits with it. (I've felt the same I have about it before and been in the singles, so it's hard to tell)

Of the ones I remember, I thought the one on bridges had tricky questions. Internet or ships? ;)

So did the one about Economics as religion, that one had some tough inference questions....

Physical Sciences got me too with that reflective coating crap and the very last one about black-body radiation was about 70% guess.

did you put internet or ships?
i put ships. please tell me you put that. verbal is not my strong point, but i didnt think i died in this section like i usually do. i want to hear from some one who usually does well in verbal.

FrogE7 said:
did you put internet or ships?
i put ships. please tell me you put that. verbal is not my strong point, but i didnt think i died in this section like i usually do. i want to hear from some one who usually does well in verbal.

I put "Ships" too but I'm terrible at Verbal (usually 8 or 9s on Practice Tests) so that's probably not too comforting now, is it? :oops: I actually thought Bridges was one of the easier passages on the form. Unlike the Democracy, Language & Phonetics, and Courtship passages. :scared:

SensesFail said:
I put "Ships" too but I'm terrible at Verbal (usually 8 or 9s on Practice Tests) so that's probably not too comforting now, is it? :oops: I actually thought Bridges was one of the easier passages on the form. Unlike the Democracy, Language & Phonetics, and Courtship passages. :scared:

yeah that was an easy passage compared to the democracy passage. i really didn't get that one at all! i just hope my guesses were correct :(

Members don't see this ad :)
So we all agree it had to be either ships or Internet, right?

Well, I put Internet because ships didn't fulfill the communication premise (with respect to social development) that the author talked about it. The problem was that the question stem from another question in that passage talked about the use of old designs (the stone arch formation used in the design for arched bridges) in a new way, so that lent some support to the idea of ship development.

Internet seemed to fullfill all of his/her points more clearly to me, but there's no point in agonizing b/c we'll never know! Never ever!

MB in SD said:
So we all agree it had to be either ships or Internet, right?

Well, I put Internet because ships didn't fulfill the communication premise (with respect to social development) that the author talked about it. The problem was that the question stem from another question in that passage talked about the use of old designs (the stone arch formation used in the design for arched bridges) in a new way, so that lent some support to the idea of ship development.

Internet seemed to fullfill all of his/her points more clearly to me, but there's no point in agonizing b/c we'll never know! Never ever!

I thought ships could be used to communicate just like bridges can. When people travel and sail, word can travel over oceans right? And I figured that the ship designs have changed over the years-- from clipper ships and pirate ships to yatchs and the princess cruise ;) what do you think?

I put ships! But if u read my posts i really suck at verbal so thats not saying much

it was ships damnit!

i was iffy at first, due to the communication part, but the passage talks a lot about history and in the past and even into today, ships have been very very important in communication... but the internet, it doesnt satisfy the requirement of adapting to what it will be used for... bridges (cars, trains, walking etc), ships (cargo, people etc). the internet just doesnt cut it, it would be too much of a stretch. and bridges and ships are more than one thing, designed by different people for different use, the internet is one thing, added onto by many, but it still seems like a stretch. ships is the obvious choice, but the internet is tempting, seems like an answer theyd want to stick in there i suppose, but the most obvious and simple answer is most often correct.

jeez, just about everyone with a C form found bio to be rather easy or at least moderate. it was terrible for me, i cant say how bad i really did, its all a blur, but yall are getting me super worried.

FrogE7 said:
I thought ships could be used to communicate just like bridges can. When people travel and sail, word can travel over oceans right? And I figured that the ship designs have changed over the years-- from clipper ships and pirate ships to yatchs and the princess cruise ;) what do you think?

I used your logic the answer the question. Hence, I put down the same answer. You can't move things through an internet portal like bridges and ships can.

Jon Davis said:
I used your logic the answer the question. Hence, I put down the same answer. You can't move things through an internet portal like bridges and ships can.

This is so suspicious! I had form CJ and had pretty much the same questions as every one else in this form!

HA I did put ships too... and what the heck with the SHH/FLIP thing! That was very confusing! Overall I think it was medium hard!

Good luck guys! We all did well I hope!

That damn Shh/Hip1 pathway took me 10 minutes to map out and understand!

Threw me off big-time....

P.S. It was Internet ;)

MB in SD said:

P.S. It was Internet ;)

I read the first passage (Shh/Hip1) and ended up doing BS backwards, starting with the last discretes. Even though I'm a cell bio major and am fine with signal-transduction pathways, regulation, etc. etc., that first passage hit me like a brick and just had too many things to think about before I got into the BS groove... I ended up drawing myself a flow chart with negative feedback arrows.

On that verbal passage, I cast my vote for ships :). Well, I really hope it was ships, anyway...

MB in SD said:

P.S. It was Internet ;)

Well, I got screwed. Anyone else?

Usually took home a 11-12 on practice exams (Kaplan, AAMC) - this one left me with a goddamn 9.

Got a 10 in Verbal, though.

MB in SD said:
Well, I got screwed. Anyone else?

Usually took home a 11-12 on practice exams (Kaplan, AAMC) - this one left me with a goddamn 9.

Got a 10 in Verbal, though.

9 for me too! 9B, 9P, 13V... im fine with that score, i still have april, and lots of time to really prepare

Form CS

Was expecting at least a 12 in BIO. Was averaging 11-12 on all practice exams. Came out feeling really good about that section. Ended up with a 9!!!! I am so confused!!!!

dorkalous said:
Form CS

Was expecting at least a 12 in BIO. Was averaging 11-12 on all practice exams. Came out feeling really good about that section. Ended up with a 9!!!! I am so confused!!!!

Oh my GOD, that's EXACTLY how it is for me! Was scoring 11 consistantly, felt good about the test (I even finished 10 minutes ahead), figured I'd get at least a 10. Then BAM find out I gotta 9. :mad:

Yeppers. Congrats on the 13 VR :). And I still think it was ships...

Medinsane said:
Oh my GOD, that's EXACTLY how it is for me! Was scoring 11 consistantly, felt good about the test (I even finished 10 minutes ahead), figured I'd get at least a 10. Then BAM find out I gotta 9. :mad:

I can third this!

I was consistently at 11-12 on my practice exams, then whammo - a fuggin' 9 on BS.

How did PS work out for everyone?
I think I crashed and died on that last passage with black body radiation.

I had form CS and I thought I bombed it but surprisingly did better than I thought.

PS: Blindly guessed all C's on "Gas Apparatus Passage", Predicted a 10, got a 12!

VR: Was sooooo scared about this result. Blindly guessed C's on 1.5 passages (~10 Questions), predicted a 7, got an 8! Not great, but I'll take it

WS: Didn't feel confident about these. I was getting 4's and 5's on the Kaplan Writing Samples but these things are so subjective. Predicted:O, got a P!

BS: Actually finished this section with about 1 minute left. My strongest section on practice tests but this one wasn't easy. Predicted 11, got a 13!

So overall, I predicted a 28O but ended up with a 33P. I'll take it